The Student Room Group

What are your best arguments against/for positive discrimination?

Race is a bit of a hot topic right now, so thought I’d ask your opinions on positive discrimination? Why do you support/not support it?
Reply 1
I don't, it is by definition intrinsically racist and goes against our national ethos of meritocracy.
does anyone have a good (unbiased if possible) explanation of what positive discrimination is?
Reply 3
Original post by 64Lightbulbs
does anyone have a good (unbiased if possible) explanation of what positive discrimination is?

Positive discrimination is the European equivalent of the American concept of affirmative action. It's a concept that legalises racism and sexism. It legalises discrimination against certain biological groups in favour of others that are underprivileged/disadvantaged. It's used to be illegal in the UK, but this has been slowly changing over the past sixty years, particularly since the introduction of the Equality Act 2010. The Equality Act 2010 made positive discrimination legal in this country calling it 'positive action'. The same Act claims that positive discrimination is unlawful and that positive action is not positive discrimination, but this is clearly wrong. 'Positive action' is clearly positive discrimination disguised as something different. It's not. It's the same. Since the introduction of the Equality Act 2010 Many companies have began employing positive discrimination in the UK. One example is Lloyds TSB, which in 2014 I believe began employing positive discrimination in favour of women and against men for managerial roles at the company.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/feb/03/lloyds-bank-target-women-senior-roles

So at Lloyds if a woman and a man apply for a managerial job and the man is more qualified the woman is more likely to get the job because of her gender. Another example of positive discrimination in the UK is the women only parliamentary shortlists. One beneficiary of this policy is sexist Labour politician Jess Philips. Positive discrimination allowed her power and a voice because of her gender. Positive discrimination is behind the scenes largely being promoted by institutionalised feminism.

There is no such thing as positive discrimination. I do not find any form of sexism/racism against any group positive. I do not support people discriminating based on gender or on race in their hiring/recruiting. It's disgusting and hurtful for someone to be denied an opportunity in favour of someone else based on nothing but the colour of their skin or their gender. As a BAME, I do not want people to give me a job because I am an ethic minority. I want to be given a fair chance. That is all. I do not think it is fair for me to be given favourable treatment over another person based on my colour or gender. I do not think it is fair to deny a white person who has merit a job in favour of a person of colour who is less qualified because the latter is a poc. This inspires division and hate. I do not think that positive discrimination i.e. positive racism/sexism is either fair or positive.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Pinkisk
Positive discrimination is the European equivalent of the American concept of affirmative action. It's a concept that legalises racism and sexism. It legalises discrimination against certain biological groups in favour of underprivileged/disadvantaged ones. It's used to be illegal in the UK, but this has been slowly changing over the past sixty years, particularly since the introduction of the Equality Act 2010. The Equality Act 2010 made positive discrimination legal in this country calling it 'positive action'. The same Act claims that positive discrimination is unlawful and that positive action is not positive discrimination, but this is clearly wrong. 'Positive action' is clearly positive discrimination disguised as something different. It's not. It's the same. Since the introduction of the Equality Act 2010 Many companies have began employing positive discrimination in the UK. One example is Lloyds TSB, which in 2014 I believe began employing positive discrimination in favour of women and against men for managerial roles at the company.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/feb/03/lloyds-bank-target-women-senior-roles

So at Lloyds if a woman and a man apply for a managerial job and the man is more qualified the woman is more likely to get the job because of her gender. Another example of positive discrimination in the UK is the women only parliamentary shortlists. One beneficiary of this policy is sexist Labour politician Jess Philips. Positive discrimination allowed her power and a voice, not because of merit, but because of her gender. Positive discrimination is behind the scenes largely being promoted by institutionalised feminism.

There is no such thing as positive discrimination. I do not find any form of sexism/racism against any group positive. I do not support people discriminating based on gender or on race in their hiring/recruiting. It's disgusting and hurtful for someone to be denied an opportunity in favour of someone else base don nothing but a biological characteristic. As a BAME, I do not want people to give me a job because I am an ethic minority. I want to be given a fair chance. That is all. I do not think it is fair for me to be given favourable treatment over another person based on my colour or gender. I do not think it is fair to deny a white person who has merit a job in favour of a person of colour who is less qualified because the latter is a poc. This inspires division and hate. I do not think that positive discrimination i.e. positive racism/sexism is either fair or positive.

basically afirrmative action. an attempt at not having racism/sexism/etc that lead to ... oh no... racism/sexism/etc. (thank you though)
Reply 5
Original post by 64Lightbulbs
basically afirrmative action. an attempt at not having racism/sexism/etc that lead to ... oh no... racism/sexism/etc. (thank you though)

Yup, well put. It's such a hypocritical concept and an oxymoron.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending