The Student Room Group

lockdown worse than the virus

I just posted a blog on why lockdown is deadlier than the virus which is a very debatable topic, and I would like to start a discussion about this situation, economically, politically, holistically.

my blog and my opinion on this situation:

https://economistemily.wordpress.com/2020/06/20/why-lockdown-is-more-deadly-than-covid-19/

We need to remind people that the virus is not the only deadly thing here and other threats in life has not stopped just because of the virus. people are dying right now not because of the virus.

I would love other people's opinions on this and also to spread awareness and promote good mental and physical help. I hope everyone is doing okay especially as now we have more freedom, and I am here for anyone who needs a chat/advice. feel free to pm me if you wish
Reply 1
Original post by anom.econ
I just posted a blog on why lockdown is deadlier than the virus which is a very debatable topic, and I would like to start a discussion about this situation, economically, politically, holistically.

my blog and my opinion on this situation:

https://economistemily.wordpress.com/2020/06/20/why-lockdown-is-more-deadly-than-covid-19/

We need to remind people that the virus is not the only deadly thing here and other threats in life has not stopped just because of the virus. people are dying right now not because of the virus.

I would love other people's opinions on this and also to spread awareness and promote good mental and physical help. I hope everyone is doing okay especially as now we have more freedom, and I am here for anyone who needs a chat/advice. feel free to pm me if you wish

I do feel the virus is a lot worse than just the lockdown itself mainly due to the ammount of people it’s killing. I think the lockdown is no good for mental health and I have heard of one person who couldn’t bare the stress of being alone.

I think there are bigger things to worry about in the world as a whole but in the UK covid 19 is a big issue, killing over 40k people.

To some degree you are right and I agree the lockdowns toll on mental health is going to linger for many years to come as austerity continues, and I will also agree that other diseases and illnesses are more deadly than this virus and kill many more in the long run and those areas need to be better cared for during the lockdown.

I would also like to say that the economic impact this is going to have on small retailers and businesses will be devastating, so in that aspect when the virus is under control or there is a vaccine, there will be many people suffering financially due to people who are either too afraid to go shopping, or the people who now realise that online shopping is easier than going to the high street.

politically I can’t say much apart from the trust in the conservatives will be declining due to either not entering lockdown sooner or the handling of the lockdown Itself.

hope this was useful, also are you a journalism student? (Haven’t read the blog yet)
Reply 2
Update* just read parts of the article, an interesting read, very factual and balanced. Nice one

Spoiler

It's a catch 22 situation- lockdown will reduce the overall number of deaths that are directly covid-19. However, equally lockdown will severely damage the economy.
Damaging the economy will lead to job loss, poverty, less money for spending on healthcare- death.

And obviously, as you discribed in your blog there are immediate negative effects.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Gillzy
I do feel the virus is a lot worse than just the lockdown itself mainly due to the ammount of people it’s killing. I think the lockdown is no good for mental health and I have heard of one person who couldn’t bare the stress of being alone.

I think there are bigger things to worry about in the world as a whole but in the UK covid 19 is a big issue, killing over 40k people.

To some degree you are right and I agree the lockdowns toll on mental health is going to linger for many years to come as austerity continues, and I will also agree that other diseases and illnesses are more deadly than this virus and kill many more in the long run and those areas need to be better cared for during the lockdown.

I would also like to say that the economic impact this is going to have on small retailers and businesses will be devastating, so in that aspect when the virus is under control or there is a vaccine, there will be many people suffering financially due to people who are either too afraid to go shopping, or the people who now realise that online shopping is easier than going to the high street.

politically I can’t say much apart from the trust in the conservatives will be declining due to either not entering lockdown sooner or the handling of the lockdown Itself.

hope this was useful, also are you a journalism student? (Haven’t read the blog yet)

I agree with what you are saying. It is definitely destroying people financially and putting off new entrepreneurs and businesses being created in the future. All the financial struggles will cause a lot of unnecessary stress, which has many consequences on health and wellbeing. It is hard enough already to start a business but now it seems basically impossible.

and no I am actually studying economics not journalism but writing is a good way to raise awareness and giving fact-based opinions on current situations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending