The Student Room Group

A level physics acceleration due to gravity help

1). Why does the velocity of objects increase if they’re being dropped from a greater height?

2). Does increasing air resistance decrease the velocity of a falling object? (Might sound stupid but just checking)

Thanks!
Original post by Mavs04
1). Why does the velocity of objects increase if they’re being dropped from a greater height?

2). Does increasing air resistance decrease the velocity of a falling object? (Might sound stupid but just checking)

Thanks!

Gravity, in the simplest terms, would be the force acting on the object downwards. The force causes an acceleration downwards.

Acceleration due to gravity = 9.81 m/s^2

(1) If an object is dropped from a greater height, then that means it has a greater distance to travel through. Which means it will fall through more time, meaning it’s velocity will increase.

Why? Acceleration due to gravity means that the velocity increases by 9.81 m/s every second. The more time it falls through, the greater the velocity. So if it takes 2 seconds, then it’ll be 19.62 m/s, if it’s 3 seconds then 29.43 m/s...hope you catch my drift.

(2) No, it does not. Gravity acts downwards, and the velocity increases in the downward direction. Air resistance acts upwards, opposing the motion. So there are accelerations in two opposite directions: one downwards due to gravity, and one upwards due to resistance.

So the net acceleration decreases. However, the acceleration can't be negative, hence the velocity does NOT decrease.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Mavs04
Yep that makes sense ty!

I am sorry I have realised I have made a terrible, terrible mistake.

For point (2), I mean the acceleration would decrease but the velocity will not decrease... Please read my updated post.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by qwert7890
Gravity, in the simplest terms, would be the force acting on the object downwards. The force causes an acceleration downwards.

Acceleration due to gravity = 9.81 m/s^2

(1) If an object is dropped from a greater height, then that means it has a greater distance to travel through. Which means it will fall through more time, meaning it’s velocity will increase.

Why? Acceleration due to gravity means that the velocity increases by 9.81 m/s every second. The more time it falls through, the greater the velocity. So if it takes 2 seconds, then it’ll be 19.62 m/s, if it’s 3 seconds then 29.43 m/s...hope you catch my drift.

(2) Yes. It does. Gravity acts downwards, and the velocity increases in the downward direction. Air resistance acts upwards, opposing the motion. So there are accelerations in two opposite directions: one downwards due to gravity, and one upwards due to resistance.

So the velocity would decrease, because net acceleration decreases

Yep that makes sense ty!
For the first one I’m guessing the distance will increase by a larger factor than the time?

Quick Reply

Latest