The Student Room Group

CIE A-levels Physics

On a planet, a vertically-launched projectile takes 12.5s to return to its starting position. The
projectile gains a maximum height of 170m. The planet does not have an atmosphere.
What is the acceleration of free fall on this planet?
A 2.2ms–2 B 8.7ms–2 C 27ms–2 D 54ms–2

Answer is B. Please explain & show me the working.
Original post by Tetisya
On a planet, a vertically-launched projectile takes 12.5s to return to its starting position. The
projectile gains a maximum height of 170m. The planet does not have an atmosphere.

The first thing that I think of is energy. You should know that GPE=mgh where g is the acceleration due to gravity. So we need to find g. Next, we can look at the fact that this is actually free fall meaning that there are no resistive forces. This means that no work is done against air resistance so ALL of the kinetic energy is converted to gravitational potential energy. The equation for KE=0.5mv^2. We can equation these two equations to make 0.5mv^2=mgh. the m's will cancel, leaving us with 0.5v^2=gh. Then re-arrange for g and substitute your values. Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by Umbreonmaster10
The first thing that I think of is energy. You should know that GPE=mgh where g is the acceleration due to gravity. So we need to find g. Next, we can look at the fact that this is actually free fall meaning that there are no resistive forces. This means that no work is done against air resistance so ALL of the kinetic energy is converted to gravitational potential energy. The equation for KE=0.5mv^2. We can equation these two equations to make 0.5mv^2=mgh. the m's will cancel, leaving us with 0.5v^2=gh. Then re-arrange for g and substitute your values. Hope this helps.

Thanks...i managed to find the answer already!
How to do it
Original post by Umbreonmaster10

hi how to find the v?
Original post by rosemariechua
hi how to find the v?

You can do this another way by not calculating v.

It says that t= 12.5 for it to return to its starting point, so it takes 6.25 seconds to reach 170m.

You can use this to use a SUVAT equation:

s=170
u= (not needed)
v=0
a=?
t=6.25
Reply 6
Original post by Tetisya

Explain plz

Quick Reply

Latest