The Student Room Group

A level Physics question about volumen

Image and question below
Reply 1

I don’t understand why volume of water = force of ice cube/ density of the water x acceleration due to free fall. I know that the equation is to get a unit of m^3 for volume (of the water) but obviously that explanation isn’t enough
Original post by Sha.xo527

I don’t understand why volume of water = force of ice cube/ density of the water x acceleration due to free fall. I know that the equation is to get a unit of m^3 for volume (of the water) but obviously that explanation isn’t enough

As the image is not displayed, I cannot be certain if the following explanation is valid.

From the "volume of water = force of ice cube/ density of the water x acceleration due to free fall", I deduce that it uses either F = ma or W = mg equations.

Using W = mg and we know that mass = density × volume, so

weight = density × volume × acceleration due to gravity

Rearrange to make volume the subject and we would arrive what you want.
Reply 3
maybe not everyone realises it but 'acceleration due to gravity' is the exact same thing as 'force due to gravity per kg'

which is why it can come into questions where nothing seems to be accelerating.

Quick Reply

Latest