The Student Room Group

Adviceeee :)

Hey! Does anyone have any tips or advice for getting good marks in the following subjects:
- English language paper 2?
- Bio, Chem, Physics Paper 2
- Sociology Paper 2
- Maths
- Spanish speaking and listening

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by #anonymous_user
Hey! Does anyone have any tips or advice for getting good marks in the following subjects:
- Sociology Paper 2
- Maths

Hey, I'm guessing this is gcses? For physics and maths I'd recommend consolidating your notes then doing loads of practice questions. And make sure you check your answers carefully when you're in the exams.
Also a good idea for physics is to try a practice paper without your notes, then another day go over it with your notes and on a different day go through the mark scheme.
Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by k345
Hey, I'm guessing this is gcses? For physics and maths I'd recommend consolidating your notes then doing loads of practice questions. And make sure you check your answers carefully when you're in the exams.
Also a good idea for physics is to try a practice paper without your notes, then another day go over it with your notes and on a different day go through the mark scheme.
Hope this helps :smile:

Yess it did help, thank you so much for your time! I’m currently going through past papers for physics so I will try doing what you said with these. Thank youu!! :smile:
Reply 3
Yess it did help, thank you so much for your time! I’m currently going through past papers for physics so I will try doing what you said with these. Thank youu!! :smile:

No problem :smile:
- Sociology Paper 2
- Maths

If this is AQA for sciences (since I did AQA so I kinda remember the paper structure) for chemistry make sure you know your simple chemical reactions as well as the tests, as there can be those chunky 6 markers asking you to identify different compounds via tests, and it doesn’t hurt knowing the reactivity series. Know the basics of chapter 1 if I can recall as the organic side of chemistry (my fav side) it’ll help a lot with understanding!

For Biology, make sure to hammer down on content and practise. Do questions by topic after each chapter you revise, to make sure you familiarise yourself with what the mark schemes want. The way I revised Biology was by looking at mark schemes in depth, seeing what they want in each sort of question, write it down and look for overlapping ideas. This helps cutting down on waffling in certain Biology questions (for a 2 marker I used to spend 5 mins just writing ideas since I’m scared of missing out lol)

Language Paper 2 - Hated English, but honestly all you can do is just practise, there’s no “content” to revise for really, so all you can do is do some questions from past papers and send them to your English teachers for them to mark and give you feedback. For English, it’s all about getting feedback from your teachers to improve!

Hope this helps and all the best with your subjects! Can’t offer any input on sociology and Spanish as I haven’t done a language or sociology as GCSEs, physics and maths k345 took the words out of my mouth!
Original post by UrFellowMedic
If this is AQA for sciences (since I did AQA so I kinda remember the paper structure) for chemistry make sure you know your simple chemical reactions as well as the tests, as there can be those chunky 6 markers asking you to identify different compounds via tests, and it doesn’t hurt knowing the reactivity series. Know the basics of chapter 1 if I can recall as the organic side of chemistry (my fav side) it’ll help a lot with understanding!

For Biology, make sure to hammer down on content and practise. Do questions by topic after each chapter you revise, to make sure you familiarise yourself with what the mark schemes want. The way I revised Biology was by looking at mark schemes in depth, seeing what they want in each sort of question, write it down and look for overlapping ideas. This helps cutting down on waffling in certain Biology questions (for a 2 marker I used to spend 5 mins just writing ideas since I’m scared of missing out lol)

Language Paper 2 - Hated English, but honestly all you can do is just practise, there’s no “content” to revise for really, so all you can do is do some questions from past papers and send them to your English teachers for them to mark and give you feedback. For English, it’s all about getting feedback from your teachers to improve!

Hope this helps and all the best with your subjects! Can’t offer any input on sociology and Spanish as I haven’t done a language or sociology as GCSEs, physics and maths k345 took the words out of my mouth!

Thank you so much for your time and help!! I haven’t started bio or chem revision yet but when I do I will definitely be doing what you’ve just advised.
Lol I get what you mean, English Lang is honestly just long 😭 kind of relieved I don’t need to do it for A Levels. I’ll try doing more practice for that, and getting it marked hopefully.
Thank you so much for all your help, have a wonderful day/night!! :smile:
No problem! All the best with your revision!

Quick Reply