The Student Room Group

Do you believe in the Big Bang?

I'm personally unsure. I don't fully understand it, and neither do scientists, judging by the varied jumble of theories they have presented.

So, my question for all of you is, do you believe in the Big Bang?
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yes, but I'm also religious. I don't think they are mutually exclusive philosophies.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Yes, but I'm also religious. I don't think they are mutually exclusive philosophies.

Do you think that God was formed (is that the correct word?) after or before the Big Bang?

I'm curious as to what religious people make of science, specifically physics.
No.
Original post by that.names.taken
Do you think that God was formed (is that the correct word?) after or before the Big Bang?

I'm curious as to what religious people make of science, specifically physics.

I think the Big Bang was God's will. I mean... before the universe existed, there was supposedly some sort of something or other (matter? energy) that went boom.
Where did that energy or matter come from?

I believe that God existed before the Big Bang, and he instigated it.

As for where God came from, I believe he always existed, but I don't think that's a concept that the human mind can grasp at all. Perhaps some things we will never understand - we are too limited.
(edited 2 years ago)
It works, so I believe in it. Of course our theory of the beginning of the universe may change over time, but ultimately it has no bearing on my life.
Original post by a_human_being?
No.

Would you mind explaining? Do you mean for religious reasons or just because you disagree with the theory?
I think the Big Bang was God's will. I mean... before the universe existed, there was supposedly some sort of something or other (matter? energy) that went boom.

As for where God came from, I believe he always existed, but I don't think that's a concept that the human mind can grasp at all. Perhaps some things we will never understand - we are too limited.

That's justified the religious side of it - that the energy that existed before the Big Bang was God?
No harm trying to at least try and broaden our understanding, at least
Reply 8
The main thing about the Big Bang is the idea of the universe having a beginning and space being infinitesimally tiny at the start. I believe that, given the evidence.
i see it as a possibility, I dont understand any of it but I dont really care about things that are out of our reach like that, it is what it is
Yeah, I believe in it. But I'm an atheist, so I guess I might be a bit biased. I think, given a bit more time, scientists should fully be able to describe the Big Bang and how it works.
Yes Jessie j created the bang bang
I wouldn't describe myself as believing in it because I don't think that exactly explains my thinking, but, so far as I can tell given current knowledge, that is the best explanation for how the universe could've formed.
I'm more inclined to believe it than a lot of the religious crap I read online, besides if it's a fact, it doesn't matter whether I believe it or not.
I'm personally unsure. I don't fully understand it, and neither do scientists, judging by the varied jumble of theories they have presented.

What do you mean? The Big Bang theory itself is set in stone for now but the events before the Big Bang is unknown, if that what is you’re referring to.
So, my question for all of you is, do you believe in the Big Bang?

Yes, evidences’ such as CMBR and red-shift proves the Big Bang.
Thread has been moved to the Physics Forum. :yy:
That's justified the religious side of it - that the energy that existed before the Big Bang was God?
No harm trying to at least try and broaden our understanding, at least

Well... or that he created the energy, rather than him being that specific energy. I don't think God himself exploded.

Saying that the Hebrew god had any rôle in starting the Big Bang is like saying that Stan Lee formed the X-Men with his bare hands.

My point is that believing in a god and a scientific theory at the same time need not involve attribution of a natural phenomenon to a god.

Even a scenario where a god visualizes a certain natural phenomenon and then the phenomenon comes into existence is enough.
Reply 18
Nope... im neither a physicist, cosmologist nor any other form of scientist for that matter so im happy to defer to more learned minds on the matter. It certainly sounds more plausible than an white dude with a beard creating the earth (and presumably the universe itself).
Original post by SlaveofAll
Saying that the Hebrew god had any rôle in starting the Big Bang is like saying that Stan Lee formed the X-Men with his bare hands.

My point is that believing in a god and a scientific theory at the same time need not involve attribution of a natural phenomenon to a god.

Even a scenario where a god visualizes a certain natural phenomenon and then the phenomenon comes into existence is enough.

I understand that you don't share my belief. That's ok, you don't have to. It doesn't change my belief though.

Quick Reply

Latest