The Student Room Group

Why is there no help for asians like there is for black people?

Recently I've been seeing lots of black students and grads getting lots of internships and jobs on LinkedIn (specifically in finance/law) through mentorship and pipelines and programmes specifically aimed at only black students-which is great!
But why is there none for asians? I also remember looking at this BAME group that helps students get into these finance/law companies, but it seems they only take on black students?

Thoughts?
Because most of them do better than white kids and go on to earn more than them?
I would ask the broader question: when we make any push towards greater racial diversity and inclusion (e.g. representation in the media, sports or other areas), we’re almost always focusing mainly on black people even though for example there are more South Asians (Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis etc.) than black people in the UK?

I could also add that whilst the Black Lives Matter movement makes sense in the US (suffering disproportionately from police brutality over there), on a global scale racism and death caused by it seems to be experienced far more severely by other ethnic groups (e.g. Uighurs, Rohingyas, Palestinians etc.) but it’s odd that there’s no movement for them adopted in the mainstream.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by tazarooni89
I would ask the broader question: when we make any push towards greater racial diversity and inclusion (e.g. representation in the media, sports or other areas), we’re almost always focusing mainly on black people even though for example there are more South Asians (Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis etc.) than black people in the UK?

i think its unfair to only push through black people and not so much other ethnic minorities
Original post by tazarooni89

I could also add that whilst the Black Lives Matter movement makes sense in the US (suffering disproportionately from police brutality over there), on a global scale racism and death caused by it seems to be experienced far more severely by other ethnic groups (e.g. Uighurs, Rohingyas, Palestinians etc.) but it’s odd that there’s no movement for them adopted in the mainstream.

Indian Hindus are overrepresented in British media they also richer than the average white British person. One in twenty hindu men are doctors. There the least likely to live in poverty and commit crime.

Pakistanis Muslims are almost always the opposite they comit more crime than the average brit their more likely be in the care system do worst at school etc. Maybe their should be paid internships for only Pakistanis Muslims.

Also if you look at black people you find Nigerian Christians are overrepresented in medicine and educational attainment. And people of Caribbean origin do worst at school and are less likely to go to university.
(edited 2 years ago)
None of these groups should get "help" (IE discriminate against Whites) , it should be based on merit not on race.
Original post by Starship Trooper
None of these groups should get "help" (IE discriminate against Whites) , it should be based on merit not on race.

So you believe that Irish travellers and British gypsies should be help because they are mostly white and underrepresented in higher education and the media
Original post by looloo2134
So you believe that Irish travellers and British gypsies should be help because they are mostly white and underrepresented in higher education and the media

No. No group should get state sponsored support for political reasons.

I believe that private companies should be able to discriminate and employ who they want- be it if they want to employ purely white people, homosexuals, muslims or whoever. Right now it's only quasi legal to discriminate against white people for the anti woke cause.

No, I don't support helping any ethnic group over any other one.

Irish travellers already receive far more help from the government than any other ethnic group. Name me one other ethnic group that the government provides with free campsites.
Reply 9
Original post by Starship Trooper
No. No group should get state sponsored support for political reasons.

I believe that private companies should be able to discriminate and employ who they want- be it if they want to employ purely white people, homosexuals, muslims or whoever. Right now it's only quasi legal to discriminate against white people for the anti woke cause.

Yes but most companies in finance (i.e., investment banks etc) are public companies and therefore surely each individual should be hired based on merit and in that case a lot of asians would be hired. But as of right now, I see lots of groups and even the banks themselves push for black specific programmes which I think is unfair.
Indian Hindus are overrepresented in British media they also richer than the average white British person. One in twenty hindu men are doctors. There the least likely to live in poverty and commit crime.

Pakistanis Muslims are almost always the opposite they comit more crime than the average brit their more likely be in the care system do worst at school etc. Maybe their should be paid internships for only Pakistanis Muslims.

Also if you look at black people you find Nigerian Christians are overrepresented in medicine and educational attainment. And people of Caribbean origin do worst at school and are less likely to go to university.

Exactly and that is all down to the person they are influenced by their upbringing and their parents etc etc not the colour of their skin.
Original post by wtw123
Yes but most companies in finance (i.e., investment banks etc) are public companies and therefore surely each individual should be hired based on merit and in that case a lot of asians would be hired. But as of right now, I see lots of groups and even the banks themselves push for black specific programmes which I think is unfair.

It's only unfair because If say a smaller bsnk decided to hire only white or Asian people they'd get sued.

Wanting to discriminate to address systemic inequality should be treated exactly the same as wanting to discriminate for the glory of the Aryan race
Original post by wtw123

It comes down to how best to opportunistically exploit current events for PR purposes and distract from any real issues or meaningful challenges to their power. These companies suffer little in the way of financial repercussions for it and while they are nominally PLCs, they have plenty of institutional investor money (including governments or government-connected funds) pouring into them to keep them in a strong position.

While you and I may agree that in order to act in their shareholders' best interests in the ordinary course of events, they ought to be hiring on merit, one should consider whether that is the actual shareholder goal here. To some degree it is, because a good return is all some shareholders want, but "woke capital" is a real influence as well.
(edited 2 years ago)
I agree with this sentiment. I always hate those people who argue endlessly in favour of black people, based probably on some affinity with black culture, when black people are often the best recipients of affirmative action and especially in the sense that positive racism in favour of black people is discrimination against other minorities.
I'm wondering why are travellers forgotten about? They are often in the lowest category when it comes to educational attainment. Is it because people are racist towards them or is it something to do with the culture?
Original post by Sha-ney-ney
I'm wondering why are travellers forgotten about? They are often in the lowest category when it comes to educational attainment. Is it because people are racist towards them or is it something to do with the culture?

Irish travellers and people of gypsies descent in Britain are closest we have to tribal people. If you look closely countries even the most liberal such as Sweden have poor human rights when it comes to their tribal people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending