The Student Room Group

I'm the last non-woke generation of students

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Genesiss
the rugby team sexually assaulted each other for bants? :erm: i'm guessing you are being facetious.

'woke' is being aware to sensitive issues or social injustices, albiet the only time i hear the word used is from someone or something (the media) who identifies as right-wing who try to use it as an insult towards progressives. anyway, people have been complaining about political correctness - or 'wokeness' - long before the year 2000 so no, i wouldn't say you're part of the last generation who are 'not woke'. guaranteed there were conservatives in the 60s who thought the exact same thing during the civil rights movement (its version of BLM), second-wave feminism, male homosexual acts (progressively) now becoming decriminalised (oh ffs). perhaps the legal and political events of the 60s seem normal and acceptable to you and others now just cuz you weren't there and maybe you respect MLK Jr and Malcolm X but maybe you wouldn't have back then; not everyone did (definitely not radical Malcolm X). just saying every generation thinks they're 'the last' and the world is going to pot with all this liberalism but 'wokeness' is relative in time.

Original post by Genesiss
the most recent comments been up for two days. we seem to be getting worse at reporting trolls or D&CA is just dead.

It's important not to conflate modern liberal civil rights movements with postmodern identity politics, as they are at odds in many ways. This is what @RichardCrav12345's description highlights. And, as you said, it's nothing new. Liberalism has always been pulled and stretched from the right and left, often progressing left but always keeping the radicalism in check. It's why, for example, MLK had such a profoundly successful impact on the political and societal order as he worked within the framework of liberalism - a universalist sense of justice for all, no matter your identity.
my point about inability to notice trolls. it's against community guidelines to respond

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending