The Student Room Group

Oxidation states and their numbers

Can someone confirm for me? Oxidation numbers in relation to neutral compounds, ions, and the pure elements, please.

Oxygen is usually =-2, except with peroxide and fluorine.

If fluorine=-1…

If I had 0F₂ this would be considered a neutral compound? : would it be -1(2)+O=0, therefore, O=+2 ..

So, it follows the rule that all neutral compounds/molecules must equate to 0.

Apologise if this is basic stuff. I don't recall any chemistry from school
Original post by KingRich
Can someone confirm for me? Oxidation numbers in relation to neutral compounds, ions, and the pure elements, please.
Oxygen is usually =-2, except with peroxide and fluorine.
If fluorine=-1…
If I had 0F₂ this would be considered a neutral compound? : would it be -1(2)+O=0, therefore, O=+2 ..
So, it follows the rule that all neutral compounds/molecules must equate to 0.
Apologise if this is basic stuff. I don't recall any chemistry from school

Yes that's right:smile: O has a -2 charge in this case because F is more electronegative and the overall oxidation state of the molecule is 0 as it is neutral
Reply 2
Original post by ghostyblop
Yes that's right:smile: O has a -2 charge in this case because F is more electronegative and the overall oxidation state of the molecule is 0 as it is neutral

Wait, is that a typo? O=+2, not -2 in this case. Your reasoning makes sense, but then your value for O doesn’t follow that reasoning lol.

So, yeah the electrons are attracted to the more electronegative atom.

So, if I have OF₂, then -1(2)+O=0 then,
F=-1 and O=+2.
Original post by KingRich
Wait, is that a typo? O=+2, not -2 in this case. Your reasoning makes sense, but then your value for O doesn’t follow that reasoning lol.
So, yeah the electrons are attracted to the more electronegative atom.
So, if I have OF₂, then -1(2)+O=0 then,
F=-1 and O=+2.

Oh sorry phahah its late yeah I meant to say O=+2! lol

Quick Reply

Latest