The Student Room Group

Percentage errors in equipment

hey guys,
iv'e just started my evaluation for my individual investigationg and need to talk about the percentage errors of ym equipment used which is;
Burette
Graduated pipette
50cm3 beaker
Colorimeter using cuvettes
Test tubes / boiling tubes
Teat pipette
Stock clock
water bath
ice bath
thermometer

I'm not too sure on how to do percentage error calculations and cannot find any of my notes on it from last year. It would be greatly appreciated if somebody could do a guide / tell me how to do it using 1 (or more) of the pieces of equipment I have used as an example. :smile:
Hm.. percentage errors..I'll do my best to explain it briefly:

To work out percentage error, the general rule is that:
% uncertainty of each reading = (limit of accuracy/measurement taken) *100

If you are doing an experiment with different things, then the maximum error is the sum of individual errors in different equipments.

Let me give you a few examples:

Burettes are quiet accurate with graduations every 0.1cm30.1cm^3...this means that the measurement can be either 0.15cm3or0.05cm30.15cm^3 or 0.05cm^3in other words the measurement can be 0.05cm30.05cm^3 higher or lower. Therefore the limit of accuracy is 0.050.05

One thing to note when using burettes: you will be taking two measurements(one at the start and one at the end), therfore the total uncertainty = 0.1 (which is 0.05+0.05)
So if you wanted to calculate the percentage error with say a reading of 27cm327 cm^3
you would do:
error=0.127×100error=\frac{0.1}{27}\times100

This general rule can be applied to any measuring instrument. Just remember that if your taking a measurement at the start and end, you should add up the uncertainty.

A quick way of working out the uncertainty is that if the scale goes up by 0.1, we just halve it so the limit of accuracy would be 0.05.

In another example, for thermometer:
if it goes up by 1'C, then the reading could be ±0.5\pm0.5

so the percentage error for a reading of say 20'C would be:
error=0.520×100error=\frac{0.5}{20}\times100 which is 2.5%

Note: if you are looking to decrease %error...you could use bigger amount of substance, in terms of the burette, the percentage error for 20cm320cm^3 would be much bigger than if it were 100cm3100cm^3(assuming it is the same burette)

I hope it helps :biggrin:
wow, thank you very much m8 =] helped a lot
Reply 3
basically you have to gets absolute error divided by measurements and then times by 100 to find the percentage error.
Reply 4
Original post by Arch0s
hey guys,
iv'e just started my evaluation for my individual investigationg and need to talk about the percentage errors of ym equipment used which is;
Burette
Graduated pipette
50cm3 beaker
Teat pipette
Stock clock
water bath
ice bath
thermometer

I'm not too sure on how to do percentage error calculations and cannot find any of my notes on it from last year. It would be greatly appreciated if somebody could do a guide / tell me how to do it using 1 (or more) of the pieces of equipment I have used as an example. :smile:

I guess it's good to do for practice since you're learning but honestly most of those uncertainties will be negligible. A core part of my current job is measurement uncertainty (part of a measurement research group), my company gives a course on uncertainty that many labs across the UK send their senior lab staff to attend. I would assume the uncertainty on your instrument, the colorimeter, will be higher than the combined uncertainty of the rest especially since its not the most precise instrument compared to say a Mass Spec.

You can experiment with you values to see how much each uncertainty value contribute to an overall combined uncertainty value. Its based on Pythagoras theorem. You just do the square root of the sum of the squared uncertainties. so SQRT(A^2+B^2+C^2...), your uncertainties all have to be converted to be relative/absolute uncertainty. You can see how much an uncertainty affects the combined by simply removing it from the calculation and by seeing how much the combined changes by, tbh just by eyeballing your numbers you get a pretty good idea of how much each contributes. If you're interested in this PM me and i'll get back to you later.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Arch0s
hey guys,
Burette
Graduated pipette
50cm3 beaker
Teat pipette
Stock clock
water bath
ice bath
thermometer

I think it’s range / 2 ( that’s to calculate uncertainty )

Quick Reply

Latest