The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why is it offensive to call a Pakistani a "Paki"?

Scroll to see replies

Just a quick question, I thought about this because of the recent story involving Prince Harry. It's not seen as offensive to call a British person a Brit or an Australian an Aussi. What is wrong with "Paki"?

Honestly this really is a stupid and plain ignorant question. The answer is very simple - history - and the context in which the word has been used; it is quite clearly a historically loaded one with meaning - brit is not, although that does not stop it from becomming so in the future of course.
Reply 141
MMA
Only ignorance would lead people to believe that paki is not an offensive word.

And conversely, only ignorance would lead people to consider any word offensive when its use is clearly not meant to offend. Particularly when it's being used between two people of which they are neither, when it's absolutely none of their business.

Historical connotations are irrelevant. The fact that it's "usually" used to offend is irrelevant. If there is obviously no malice behind the use of a word, then it is just a word. People who choose to be offended by something obviously not intended to offend, frankly, deserve to be offended.

Now I'm not saying it's okay to go up and call a stranger a paki, because obviously in this case, due to the nature of the word and the ambiguity of the situation, they will infer offence. But when it's obvious that none is intended, you'd be a moron to infer it.

It's all just common sense, people. Something is only offensive if offence is intended. If you speak in a way that might offend someone when you don't mean it, you're stupid. If you infer offence where it clearly isn't intended, you're stupid. A "paki" between friends is nothing, and nobody's business.
If you are offended by racial slurs you are a crybaby and need to grow up. Simple as, really.
Reply 143
Well in contradiction to all of the ignorance-based opinions casted on this blog.

Paki is an offensive, derogatory term. The word paki is used to describe a person with pakistani origin, although this word has been acquitted to offend anyone from the sub-continent.

The Historical context of this word entails people of asian origin suffering from racial abuse and violence in Britain during the 1970's & 80's.

Therefor ofcourse its bloody offensive!

Doncorp
Reply 144
Planto
And conversely, only ignorance would lead people to consider any word offensive when its use is clearly not meant to offend. Particularly when it's being used between two people of which they are neither, when it's absolutely none of their business.

Historical connotations are irrelevant. The fact that it's "usually" used to offend is irrelevant. If there is obviously no malice behind the use of a word, then it is just a word. People who choose to be offended by something obviously not intended to offend, frankly, deserve to be offended.

Now I'm not saying it's okay to go up and call a stranger a paki, because obviously in this case, due to the nature of the word and the ambiguity of the situation, they will infer offence. But when it's obvious that none is intended, you'd be a moron to infer it.

It's all just common sense, people. Something is only offensive if offence is intended. If you speak in a way that might offend someone when you don't mean it, you're stupid. If you infer offence where it clearly isn't intended, you're stupid. A "paki" between friends is nothing, and nobody's business.

I have already said that we can't immediately call Harry a racist as we don't know the context in which he used the word. It is obvious that the word may not always be used to offend people. I do think that a public figure of Harry's stature has showed some insensitivity by using the word giving the fact that in most of the UK the word is considered a racist insult. In this case we don't know the context with which he used the word. Just as someone else pointed out, it was also insesitive for him to wear the Htler costume, although it does not make him a racist or mean that he was trying to offend anyone. I do think that some people on this forum are underestimating the prevalence of this word as an insult in some communities though.
Reply 145
Bagration
No it's really not. That is an explicit insult.

You are the shielded, ignorant one here. Seriously. If the word "paki" offends you so much then don't expect to get anywhere in life.

yeh i suppose your right, i was out of line there, and it was hippocritical of me, i dont think im ignorant, nor shielded, but i do understand why youd say that, i was just really angry that being upset when you've been racially abused by being called a paki which has happened to me a lot of times is not a nice thing and then you got people like this idiot saying its people like me being oversensitive. its not a bloody abbreviation its a racial slur and a whole lot of connotations go along with it such as the 70's skinhead racist culture where my mates dada was killed by a bunch of skin heads for being a 'paki'. now i accept that i was wrong to go so far in making such an insult to an ignorant person but on the point of not expecting to get anywhere in life if i get offended by it so much - i dont agree with that and i think its bull that i should even accept being called a paki. regardless of what i said to that person , i when not provoked, take care not to offend anyone elses creed or colour cos i know i wouldnt like the same back, so i do expect to get far in life and i am and i still dont expect to be discriminated against because of my creed and i wont accept it and i will get offended if i get called it. but again i go off point, im sorry for calling that person names and being overly insulting and lowering my self to such ignorance that feels getting offended at being called a racial slur is being oversensitive. sorry once again.
Reply 146
The trouble with debates like this is that people don't like it when someone argues against them and they have no answer, so they just insult them. I have not insulted anyone when adding to this thread, at least i don't believe i have, and if i did it was uintentional. yet, i have been directly insulted several times both in posts and in my rep. Surely these people are missing the point of a debate? Sorry, not really related, but has just annoyed me.
This has to be a record. This thread is 9 years old!
To all people saying they’re over sensitive - is that some kind of ridiculous joke?

The reason we can’t use it is because it was a racial slur (and continues to be used as one) so it has very negative connotations attached to it and is just politically incorrect.

If someone unknowingly uses the term, that’s different, but if you know the history behind it and still try to defend its usage, I’ll help you search for your lost humanity.

Latest

Trending

Trending