The Student Room Group

What the hell is wrong with kids these days?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
I read somewhere that todays kids aged 13 and under are the result of Labours "breed as much as you want and get paid for it" way at encouraging people to have children.Looks like the chavs have been over producing,and thats why some children are right so and so's.
Huge lack of discipline is the root of the problem.
Reply 202
Original post by Annie72
I read somewhere that todays kids aged 13 and under are the result of Labours "breed as much as you want and get paid for it" way at encouraging people to have children.Looks like the chavs have been over producing,and thats why some children are right so and so's.

I'm going to go ahead and guess you read that in the Daily Mail. Or The Telegraph. Or [insert other right-wing paper here].
Reply 203
Original post by Ronove
I'm going to go ahead and guess you read that in the Daily Mail. Or The Telegraph. Or [insert other right-wing paper here].

I honestly dont remember :smile:.I dont read either of those papers.
The funny thing is, when the Year 7s you complain about now are in 6th Form, they'll be thinking exactly the same thing about the Year 7s... I left school in 2003 and I clearly remember people in my year going on about how disrespectful in general the lower school pupils were in comparison to what we were like then. Every generation thinks the same thing about the one before... I actually remember threads on TSR back in 2005 talking about games and other things from people's childhoods, and how much better they were than the present day :tongue:

Personally I find it quite funny reading about what a lot of you consider to be old-school and better than in the present day. I left primary school in 1996 and when I was there, no pupils at all had a mobile phone, Google did not exist and I never heard of Yahoo until 1998 when I started Year 9, it was before reality TV, before programmes like X-Factor and Britain's Got Talent, before Bebo or MSN Messenger... it was just before even Pokemon or Tamagotchis or the yo-yo craze. To play computer games you had to use floppy disks. We had a crazes on collecting stickers and boglins and football cards, and some of the girls played with Polly Pockets and My Little Pony (not me though... I couldn't stand them! I'd just play football every lunchtime, instead.) I still remember fondly the annual conker craze every autumn - do they even play games of conkers nowadays in primary schools? I hope so. We played clapping games with rhymes as well - I hope they haven't disappeared, too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Miracle Day
I swear there's been a drastic change in kids ever since our generation (around year 12) grew up.

Lastly and worst of all, a year 7 on my bus has lost her virginity.. Is that even possible? I'd only just had my first kiss at that age! And those damn year 7 guys on the back of the bus talking about their girlfriends 24/7 .. you haven't even hit puberty! At that age I was collecting Doctor Who adventures and Jackie Chan cartoon trading cards!

Are kids growing up too fast?

I totally agree!! I had an hour long conversation with my best friend after school yesterday. We came to the conclusion that its mostly down to their parents. For example kids can watch whatever the hell they want these days and the parents dont even know about it cause the kids got a laptop in their room. Plus have you seen the hair and makeup of 12 year olds these days?! Not to mention the skimpy shirts and non existent shorts. Who in the right mind would let their kid walk out of the house like that?! Their parents cant be bothered with them so they let them do what they want. And dont get me started on the media. Its sooo inappropriate with everyone having girlfriends and boyfriends etc. even on tracy beaker (I watched it when I was younger, although it was pretty bad then its even worse now!) so obviously kids pick it up subconsiously.
Sorry for the rant :tongue: but what made you realise theyre all messed up?? And what do you teach??
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ayesha.Tabassam95
I swear there's been a drastic change in kids ever since our generation (around year 12) grew up.

Sorry for the rant :tongue: but what made you realise theyre all messed up?? And are you a teacher??

:facepalm:
Original post by ThaChronic
:facepalm:

Lol sorry just reread the thread, my bad
[QUOTE="Ayesha.Tabassam95;36742339"]
Original post by Miracle Day

Lastly and worst of all, a year 7 on my bus has lost her virginity.. Is that even possible? I'd only just had my first kiss at that age! And those damn year 7 guys on the back of the bus talking about their girlfriends 24/7 .. you haven't even hit puberty! At that age I was collecting Doctor Who adventures and Jackie Chan cartoon trading cards!

Are kids growing up too fast?

I totally agree!! I had an hour long conversation with my best friend after school yesterday. We came to the conclusion that its mostly down to their parents. For example kids can watch whatever the hell they want these days and the parents dont even know about it cause the kids got a laptop in their room. Plus have you seen the hair and makeup of 12 year olds these days?! Not to mention the skimpy shirts and non existent shorts. Who in the right mind would let their kid walk out of the house like that?! Their parents cant be bothered with them so they let them do what they want. And dont get me started on the media. Its sooo inappropriate with everyone having girlfriends and boyfriends etc. even on tracy beaker (I watched it when I was younger, although it was pretty bad then its even worse now!) so obviously kids pick it up subconsiously.
Sorry for the rant :tongue: but what made you realise theyre all messed up?? And what do you teach??

I help them with their reading and writing because they're the low sets
Reply 209
Original post by The Entity
It's just nostalgia, kids shows are all nostalgia.

To some early 90s kids they would of looked at Raven and said "What's this ****" and then start saying remember Saved by the bell and when kids shows were good.

Even me, your what 17? I look at shows like Raven and Jeopardy and think shows like Kenan and Kel and Byker Grove were much better kids shows in the 90s than what your used to when you were 12.

Yeah i totally understand what your saying....by the way i used to watch byker grove re-runs
on cbbc and i really loved the show ;-)
Original post by spiral1
Yeah i totally understand what your saying....by the way i used to watch byker grove re-runs
on cbbc and i really loved the show ;-)

The theme tune is rushing back to me now!
Reply 211
Original post by Zoya Khan
Yeah,I know- "Dad, if I'm not getting those clothes for Eid, I'm not even eating and not talking to ANYONE. That's it," with her arms folded.
"But I don't have that much. What about me getting it for your birthday?"
"I want it NOW!!!!" stomping her foot there, "And I want my henna/mehndi NOW. Everyone has it applied and mine will be pale, all because of YOU. You just don't care, do you? You don't give me enough pocket money and now you do this to me. Where's my freedom?? Uh, this SUCKS. I hate you."
It's too late when the parents realise what they have done.
God, she didn't even feel guilty for putting her dad through so much trouble.
I used to do the knocking on doors and running thing :colondollar: Did a lot of naughty stuff but that's when no one was watching lol.

Thhats exactly how they are haha. Just like now i wanted my sisters laptop, she took me to the pc and said "theres my laptop" its like they got toooooo much guts
Aiiai well i still do it sometimes looooool and ooo like what haha
Reply 212
Original post by Kaytti
I always wanted our school to be on 50:50. We never made it :frown:

My sister, who is 7 years younger than me has friends who fake tan, backcomb their hair to stupid heights and wear far too much make-up. Urgh.

My school was on 50:50, but a year before I joined :frown: was gutted when I found out. And we lost, very convincingly.
Reply 213
yes they have got worse I think. I don't believe that its just the traditional thing of older year groups saying every year "i'm sure we won't like in year x"
We're all lumped in the same generation though:frown:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Z
My house is next to a football field and when we were all little we'd all get together and play football or tig. Now it's actually pretty rare to see kids on there at all no matter what the weather is like. There is also a crop of trees and a big expanse of gorse bushes; both had a myriad of paths threaded through them when I was about 10 as so many kids ran around them and built dens in them. Now, 10 years later, what used to be the main path in the trees is overgrown and almost impassible and there are only about 3 paths in the gorse area. I guess simply playing out doesn't appeal as much to kids anymore.

I know every generation says that the one following them isn't as 'good' but I really do think that in this case there is a big difference in the attitude and lifestyle of some of these kids compared to what we experienced. I don't think many of us had phones at 10; some would argue that it was simply because they were too expensive to buy for a child/parents were still worried about them affecting your brain (remember that?!) but I don't remember many of my contemporaries actually wanting a phone at 10. They wanted crazy bones and those washing powder tablet bags to put them in. They wanted a bit of money so they could buy Pokemon cards from the shop. We had gameboys, yes, but I remember playing with them outside for a bit then we'd all go and do something else. Rarely did we sit inside the house and when we did our parents usually told us to go outside and find something better to do. Maybe parents are too scared to let their kids roam outside in case they get robbed/hurt? I really don't know :erm:.

Sorry if that was a bit rambling :p:.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ra Ra
Does anyone else remember the blackboard? :tongue: Those were the days...

u forgot the heavenly sound of the chalk against that board :tongue:
Reply 216
Original post by hasan4life
u forgot the heavenly sound of the chalk against that board :tongue:

and the frightening threat of the teacher who might just launch the board rubber at you, and if he did, you wouldn't even think of suing!
Reply 217
Original post by trouble-trouble
overexposure to social media, companies giving up good stuff for more profitable shows.

gadgets are cheaper and more available/affordable.

I mean, I've spent most of my childhood outside, playing football with other kids and whatnot.

also, how can you expect someone to grow up into a normal person, when they listen to Nicky Minaj and Justin Bieber?

but yeah, every generation claims that the generation after them is brats and ungrateful bastards.

I totally agree with you, every generation 'condems' newer generations, but that process just seems to quickly accelerate. My grandparents see some developments they do not like, but overall they think that we are quite okay (difficult to explain). But my grandparents youth is just more than 60 years away. I have the same impression as the OP and I am just 21, so it has not been 10 years since I left my childhood behind. Technological development is much faster today and I seem to belong to the last group of people who spent his childhood without the internet (it became popular and widely used when I was in my early teens). I used to reflect on this issue objectively and still think that the way many (but not all!) children are brought up today totally spoils them! When I was 11 years old my friends and me looked up to sixth-formers (not that it was some kind of fear), when I was a sixth-former some random kid just stopped in front of me in the corridor, looked in my face, screemed "****hole!" and ran away. I mean, wtf? I didn't even talk to that kid!
Original post by Ronove

Gotta admit, that was the first thing that sprung to mind when I read that post. :five:
Reply 219
Still chortling at the fact this thread was started by a 16yr old!

what are the chances OP will grow up to be a Daily Mail journalist?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending