Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
True say... though db already said it.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Ronove
True say... though db already said it.

Oh yeah I guess he kinda did....ah well, it just serves to reiterate the point then!
Reply 42
sir_inferno
lol, as I said, from what i saw...

well i went on the uni's coach tour thing...so it's not like a just confined myself to park row (or watever that main road is called)

All you've been to is Clifton and the Downs then. I'm sure I could pick areas of all major cities where the local population is predominately white. I'm sure they didn't take you to St. Pauls for example...
sir_inferno
lol, not from what i saw on my open day...don't think it would be an exaggeration to say the population i saw was around 95% white

Hate to break it to you, but nearly 90% of the UK's population IS white. So surprise surprise that that's what you happened to experience in Bristol.
Reply 44
this may sound pretty silly...

how do you define "middle class" here in the UK? i mean, i look at my friends and they all seem to be normal. so how does one come to the concl. that bristolians are "very middle class" ???

just curious. :smile:
Reply 45
I'm quite interested on people's definition of midde class as well, it's very English thing and I don't really get it. :redface: Is it the general public school, monied aspect that makes some middle class?

I would have thought rahs were middle class, but Rosie posted something in aother thread that implied there was a distinct difference between them and it confused me.
Reply 46
I think rahs are so bad it's comical/annoying? Whereas you can be middle class and down to earth and not an idiot.
It's more a case of middle classes rather than the middle class-lots of people are now 'middle class'. It's all to do with class dealignment; the Upper and Working Classes are now far smaller than they ever have been in the past.

Rahs are presumably people who are middle class, but who have designs on climbing further up the ladder?
No, Rahs are already upper-middle class. They are usually what is termed as 'old money' (i.e they have money in their family going back generations) and are not the first in their family to go to public school. Rahs often look down on people who are obviously 'middle class'. I would agree though that they do wish to be truely 'upper class' and this is why they look down on ordinary middle class people, as they want to distinguish themselves from them.

However, even worse than Rahs in my opinion are 'New Money'. Families who have suddenly got rich and are still very anxious about their class position. It's usually really obvious who these people are- they spend their money in incredibly obvious ways and actively look down on other people.

I would say Bristol is called 'very middle class' because a) a lot of people are obviously fairly well off, b) there are a lot of 'rahs' and aspiring rahs about and c) it's geographical location means its students are from areas largely termed as 'middle class' places to live.

Just want to point out I'm not being a judgemental snob, I have read a whole book about it (Watching The English by Kate Fox) and love this kind of thing!
rosieposy87

However, even worse than Rahs in my opinion are 'New Money'. Families who have suddenly got rich and are still very anxious about their class position. It's usually really obvious who these people are- they spend their money in incredibly obvious ways and actively look down on other people.

Ah I see. I'd kinda figured all rahs fell into this group.
Reply 50
I would have thought rahs were the noveau riche as it were. I have found the stereotypical rahs to be ostentatious with there money than those I would consider middle class, dripping with Jack Wills and stamping about in those stupid furry boots.

Rosie: PM me a few names of people from Goildney who fall into each category. :ninja: :p:
Reply 51
Go to Easton and St.Paul's if you're worried about racism.
Reply 52
Yep those are are some of the most culturaly (sp) diverse in the city :biggrin:
Reply 53
nothing to say about this topic but just look at how many views this has had 2000+ !!!
Trigger
Yep those are are some of the most culturaly (sp) diverse in the city :biggrin:

That doesn't make any sense.

They are some of the most culturally diverse what exactly?
Reply 55
Angelharpist
Exactly my point! As in, even if 95% of the occupants of Bristol were in fact caucasian, it doesn't automatically make them racist!

Some people, eh? :rolleyes:

well i don't think he meant that. I think he meant is racism prominent in Bristol
Reply 56
DoubleThePrice

Well since the post above hers mentions areas of Bristol, it would be a reasonable inference that she is referring to areas of Bristol....
Reply 57
DoubleThePrice

Areas quite obviously :rolleyes:
I've only ever seen racism (in bristol) going on from ****** up people. By this I mean the sort of people who would find somebody to abuse/beat up - no matter how many obstacles you put in their way. I used to be bullied at school because I had a posh accent - those very bullies were punished variously for religious bullying, racism (against the welsh as well as various ethnic groups), for supporting bristol rovers, for being from weston-super-mare, from not being from southmead, for not being good at particular sports....etc.... Basically what I will say is anyone like that is not going to get into a University - especially one as prestigious as Bristol, and if they do they will not be popular for long.

Just don't go to Knowle yeah?
Reply 59
lol southmead and knowle make me cry :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending