The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I hateeee so many of our customers, being on the till is just the worst >_>

Why are so many people so rude!?

I served this old man, his food cost £7 and he gave me a tenner, and he went MENTAL at me for giving him £3 change. He was shouting that I'd obviously not gone to school and learnt how to count, I was SO confued like wtf?? He was demanding he should have £4 change. It took me AGES to explain that 7 + 3 = 10 and then he was like oh yeah, I forgot I bought that ketchup -__- IDIOT didnt even say sorry for screaming at me.

This old woman said she wanted 6 eggs, so asked if I would break a box of 12 in half for her. I told her to just buy the box of 6.... same happened that someone wanted half a cucumber.

People asking how much something is, when its normally £1 and has a half price sticker on it. Or just asking how much it is when it has a giant £1 on the packet.

People demanding you to open another till. Umm now about NO dont be so freaking rude. Wait in the que moron theres only 3 people in front of you.

People ask you what till you are on. When you are sitting at it.

People who put trolley tokens in the saving stamp machine -_-'

Once some drunk guy came in, stood by the bread, did a wierd wobbly thing with his leg...walked off and there was a turd on the floor. Vile.

This guy tried to buy alcohol and I ID'd him, and he didn't know what I was on about, he was like, well how old do you have to be to buy it? And didn't seem to believe me, as if I just made it up that theres a drinking age xD

Conversation of a customer and my manager:
'What flavour is this sauce?'
'Curry'
'Yes but WHAT flavour?'
'Its just curry'
'What other flavours?
'Tikka, sweet and sour, balti ect'
'what is the curry one?'
'Its curry. It just says curry on the jar'
'What flavour curry?'
'JUST CURRY. IT JUST SAYS CURRY. THATS IT. CURRY.'
'Okay. I'll have the curry flavour'

This Indian woman who I don't think can read, asks you to read every label for her, but she can barely understand English. It took me about half an hour to explain the concept of a variety pack of Oat So Simple. It has 3 flavours in it. She couldn't understand how it was different to the 'original' pack. And she thought there was one sachet in the box when there was 12, and wouldn't understand!! After all that she didn't want it because it was £2 and she wanted it for £1.
Reply 1821
"I think it's crazy that you are staying open during the Royal Wedding. No wonder this country is in a mess."

A quote from a customer who was paying for half a trolley of shopping at half eleven this morning.

Original post by DanD
"I think it's crazy that you are staying open during the Royal Wedding. No wonder this country is in a mess."

A quote from a customer who was paying for half a trolley of shopping at half eleven this morning.

Hahahaha, don't they get on your nerves. Though our store were all "we support the wedding and will watch it", yet will stay open so none of the staff can watch it. :lolwut:
Reply 1823
I wore a flag in my hair at work today!
I had a woman ask me if I was celebrating today yesterday (as in she asked me yesterday regarding today), and I said that I was working, she said 'aw bless'. Bit patronising?! Much rather work + earn money, than celebrate the wedding... Maybe that's just me though :P

Woman last night stood her wine bottles up on the conveyor belt, which drives me crazy because they wobble like Hell. One wobbled and fell off the belt onto the floor - luckily it didn't smash - but we did need to get another one. Then she said 'Glad it was you that did that, not me!' WTF. So I replied 'It's cause you stood the bottles up, so they wobble, I didn't do anything.' She then went 'Knew it'd be my fault.' Could that be... because it was?! Gr.
Reply 1825
This past fortnight people keep handing me so much change. They don't even count it out. They just give me a handful of money and expect me to count it out for them.

Naturally I take as long as possible. Seriously why hand me £5 in change when your food costs £2? Urgh.

Annoying my customers has become my favourite hobby. :biggrin:
Original post by Stacks
This past fortnight people keep handing me so much change. They don't even count it out. They just give me a handful of money and expect me to count it out for them.

Naturally I take as long as possible. Seriously why hand me £5 in change when your food costs £2? Urgh.

Annoying my customers has become my favourite hobby. :biggrin:

I have people doing that, but they're almost always younger than 14 or mentally underdeveloped... :dontknow:
Ugh I had a group last night who came altogether, it was a mother, her daughter and two other women, and they asked for two cheeseburgers (for the mum and daughter), two lots of fries (for the mum and daughter) and donuts (for the other women), and reached out £20 and she said they were going to pay all together. So I add it all up on the till, go over to them and ask for the money, and one of the other women suddenly announces "I'll pay for one of the cheesburgers, one of the fries and the bag of donuts", and of course, the mum thought that was a brilliant idea :rolleyes: Thanks for consulting the person who now looks totally incompetent after three years at my job because I had to cancel the order and print out a receipt for my boss to see and refund, which makes me look like I've made a mistake.

Bank holidays really do bring out the "stupid" in people.
Actually, I really like most of my customers. They tend to be really nice, where I work. Most of them are tourists, anyway. They don't really complain if you do something wrong, because normally they don't understand what they asked for. but... there was one man who asked for our 'big breakfast' thing, and then changed his mind after he'd taken it and said he wanted extra bacon, but he'd pay for it. but he just paid for the bacon. We had another one who was pointing at a board in front of our place that we couldn't actually see and expected us to know what she was talking about. I've only been working there for about a month, but they're the only annoying customers I've had.
Original post by Juno
I wore a flag in my hair at work today!

I spent two hours in the morning inflating 150 red, white and blue helium balloons (picked out of the ronald mcdonald multipack) and decorating the store :redface:
Reply 1830
Original post by thevelvetonion
Once some drunk guy came in, stood by the bread, did a wierd wobbly thing with his leg...walked off and there was a turd on the floor. Vile.

Actually recoiled from my laptop, that is rank.
Someone today asked me for a "Plain '99". A '99 is an ice cream with a flake in, I thought pretty much everyone knew that :confused: - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/99_Flake - and we have on the menu,

"Ice cream cone - £1.40
99 Ice Cream - £1.60" (yes they are the prices)

So it's pretty obvious that there is a difference between a plain ice cream and a 99. Thinking that this lady meant the same as what every single other customer I've ever served meant when asking for a plain 99 - that she wanted one without sauce or toppings - I did her an ice cream with a flake in it. She got quite huffy and said she'd asked for a plain 99, so I told her that was a plain 99. "Nooo, a plain 99 is one without a flake in. It's for a dog, GOD" really exasperated.

People like that really annoy me when they act like I'm completely stupid. A) I didn't know it was for your dog, I don't know you and have no intention of getting to know you and what you feed your dog, and B) if you ask for a plain 99, I will give you, a PLAIN 99. An ice cream with a flake in it. :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Rant over.
Original post by FluffyLion
I work for a supermarket, so excuse me if I'm wrong, but if you changed the black coffee to a latte by adding a sweet chilli dip, would your stock levels not be wrong? Like even when we have a bag of peppers, which are the same price, we should press the button for each individual colour.

Yes unfortunatley, I used to do the whole, add a hash brown or dip if a person changes to a large from a medium, but we started getting into trouble for this reason, so now my store HAS to void things and put the correct order through so the stock levels are right. :frown: cant win!! either put the wrong things through or get *******ed for having too many T-reds :frown:
Fortunately, where I work, we can void as many transactions as we like and it isn't a problem.
wish I could void items with no problem, I made it on the TOP 5 WORST T-REDS poster in the crew room. XD. Although lately they haven't been too bad.
Original post by bananafuntime
wish I could void items with no problem, I made it on the TOP 5 WORST T-REDS poster in the crew room. XD. Although lately they haven't been too bad.

Where do u work? Cannot believe they publish it
MY NUMBER ONE HATE = people comming to get a refund for being overcharged 1P !!! Or anything under 50p. Their justification is always "it's not the money it's the principle" JOG ON.

Also when they ask you to replace a tinned item or a boxed item (today was cereal bars) because the can/box is SLIGHTLY damaged. Does it matter if there is a tiny crease in a cereal bar box- they are all individually wrapped!!! Or a CANNED TIN OF BEANS with a tiny dent or rip in the paper label. "Can you get me another one please" REDICULOUS.
This isn't annoying as such, but really disgusting...

The other week a customer decided to pay me with a £10 note that he'd just pulled out of his sock. :puke:
Original post by I-Heart-London
MY NUMBER ONE HATE = people comming to get a refund for being overcharged 1P !!! Or anything under 50p. Their justification is always "it's not the money it's the principle" JOG ON.

I admit that I'd do that if it was an offer that hadn't come up on the till. For example if I only wanted one apple but they were buy one, get one half price, I would buy two. If the offer didn't go through the till, I'd probably go back for it...
I dont mean an offer I mean if price said 69p and it went through at 70p/72p, even worse when they que up to get said refund!!

Latest

Trending

Trending