The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TEEJUS
Unless they expect you to have economics then they should stand you in good stead.

Oops how could I have forgotten, I do Economics too :biggrin: the Mandarin is optional however, I think it could perhaps increase my chances of employment(?) but I'm not sure if it'll help me get into Oxford..?
Reply 1021
Original post by Member737,514
Oops how could I have forgotten, I do Economics too :biggrin: the Mandarin is optional however, I think it could perhaps increase my chances of employment(?) but I'm not sure if it'll help me get into Oxford..?

If you want to do the mandarin and feel that 6 a levels isn't too much then do it; but if you are looking to drop one after AS, I would have to say drop mandarin because it has the least to do with your desired course.:smile:
Reply 1022
Hello, I am really considering and interested in doing Law at one of the top universities in the UK however my GCSE's did not come out so great so I'm retaking them this year.

English [ Might only come out with a B]
Maths [ Might be able to come out with A*/B]
Double Science [ A*/B]
Spanish [B/C new to Spanish.]

I have already achieved a B in Religious Education.
As to what I am curios to understand is if I get AAAA at AS and then A*AA at A2
and only came out with 6 GCSE's would I be able to get in to Oxbridge or UCL or even LSE?

Also I plan on doing 3 years work experience in a Law firm or possibly in a court in London.

As for what subjects I plan on doing at AS level:
Psychology
History
RE
Politics

Oh and does Duke of Edinburgh Gold look good on UCAS applications?
I think having 6 GCSEs would really disadvantage you for Oxbridge. If you're thinking you're only capable of being Bs and Cs in your GCSEs not sure if getting A*AA is a realistic aim for A2...
Original post by Lortis

My advice on this would be not really. Years ago when fewer people did it, it would look good, but now many people do it each year and so it isn't as unique as it used to be and the space you use to describe D of E in your personal statement could be used for things. It's worthwhile doing if you haven't already done it, but the effect on your application will be negligible really.
Original post by Lortis
Hello, I am really considering and interested in doing Law at one of the top universities in the UK however my GCSE's did not come out so great so I'm retaking them this year.

English [ Might only come out with a B]
Maths [ Might be able to come out with A*/B]
Double Science [ A*/B]
Spanish [B/C new to Spanish.]

I have already achieved a B in Religious Education.
As to what I am curios to understand is if I get AAAA at AS and then A*AA at A2
and only came out with 6 GCSE's would I be able to get in to Oxbridge or UCL or even LSE?

Also I plan on doing 3 years work experience in a Law firm or possibly in a court in London.

As for what subjects I plan on doing at AS level:
Psychology
History
RE
Politics

I'm very certain you won't get into a top university for Law because:

1) You're only doing 6 GCSE's
2) Your GCSE grades are relatively poor
3) You're retaking your GCSE's
4) With the exception of History, your AS/A-levels are not the 'traditional academic' type that top universities prefer.

Law at Oxbridge/LSE/UCL is ridiculously competitive - very good candidates are routinely rejected.

Sorry if I sound harsh, I meant no offense. Just giving you my honest opinion.
Guidelines on A-levels taken from the horse's mouth: http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/requirements/

"Law: applicants should ensure they have studied a logic-based subject (eg Mathematics, a science, a modern or classical language) as well as a discursive subject (such as History)."

If you got 4 A-grades I don't think Oxbridge would be out of the question, though you might want to look into a more logic based subject at A-level. At oxbridge more weight is placed on the interview, so if you get one and do well you'll have a very good chance.I think you could get an interview with 4 As at Cam as they interview 90% of applicants. At Oxford getting an interview depends on doing well on the admissions tests- so you would have to do well on the LNAT. I think Oxford aim to interview more than 60% of applicants, though for some very competitive subjects the percentage would be lower. However, Oxford do take GCSEs into account when deciding who to interview- and this might be something to consider.

As for other London universities, I'm not exactly sure but I think it would be more difficult to get in those with low gcses- all other things being equal. A great candidate but with low gcses has a better chance at Oxbridge than London because of the interviews.
(edited 12 years ago)
You stand more chance at Oxford than other top law unis, as you have interviews and LNAT to make up for bad GCSEs.

Lets see how your AS go first.
You would have a chance if you get 4 As at AS, but I wouldn't set my heart on it if I were you. I think you should try to aim for at least one of the top 5 unis, but also don't feel too discontent about applying to Russell Group unis and others in the top 30 or so.
Reply 1029
I've done Science Btec [ Merit] and Media btec [ Pass] But they look more to GCSE's
On the whole, Oxford don't care much about GCSE grades on the whole. Especially in your case, as you don't do Law at GCSE. As long as you are a very able candidate with good grades at A level you should have a chance, but make sure you find another uni that you would love to go to.
If you do very well at AS level then it would be worth applying.

BUT, you must be aware, may top Unis don't accpet GCSE's done over more than the normal two years and would only look at your orginal grades.

Also they may very well see 6 as not enough, most people do at least 8 GCSE's in total.
Reply 1032
Original post by fraserelliott
On the whole, Oxford don't care much about GCSE grades on the whole. Especially in your case, as you don't do Law at GCSE. As long as you are a very able candidate with good grades at A level you should have a chance, but make sure you find another uni that you would love to go to.

Well these are the Universities I'm looking to go for:

Oxford or Cambridge [ I'm not sure which one I'm aware you can only apply for one]
LSE
UCL
Queen's Mary
and maybe Nottingham or Durham possibly bristol [ Is it only 5 universities you can apply for?]
Reply 1033
Original post by Historophilia
If you do very well at AS level then it would be worth applying.

BUT, you must be aware, may top Unis don't accpet GCSE's done over more than the normal two years and would only look at your orginal grades.

Also they may very well see 6 as not enough, most people do at least 8 GCSE's in total.

Hmm, are you sure about that I know they don't like students retaking A levels as for GCSE's they're just a backup I do not think they'd look at the original grades I got. As for 6 GCSE's :/ Your right about students having more...
Original post by Lortis
Hmm, are you sure about that I know they don't like students retaking A levels as for GCSE's they're just a backup I do not think they'd look at the original grades I got. As for 6 GCSE's :/ Your right about students having more...

I'm pretty sure about that, though if you wanted to be sure then you'd need to check with the directly.

If you do just 6 GCSE's (and they were willing to accept them), then you'd need to very high marks in all of the, all A*'s if possible.

But I really think you might be better off leaving your GCSE's as they are, Oxford in particular accept that you can change hugely over the course of 6th form and that your GCSE's are in no way a true indicator of your present academic ability.

But having only 6 GCSE would not put you in a good position at all.

Do you mind me asking what you actually got at GCSE?
Original post by Lortis
Well these are the Universities I'm looking to go for:

Oxford or Cambridge [ I'm not sure which one I'm aware you can only apply for one]
LSE
UCL
Queen's Mary
and maybe Nottingham or Durham possibly bristol [ Is it only 5 universities you can apply for?]

Those are all in the top 10 in the country, are you sure you want to be setting your sights that high, as your GCSEs are relatively poor compared to those who would get offers from those universities
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by nexttime
You stand more chance at Oxford than other top law unis, as you have interviews and LNAT to make up for bad GCSEs.

Lets see how your AS go first.

Not really, seeing as you have to do these things at the other top law universities.
Original post by Cabine Sono Qui
I'm very certain you won't get into a top university for Law because:

1) You're only doing 6 GCSE's
2) Your GCSE grades are relatively poor
3) You're retaking your GCSE's
4) With the exception of History, your AS/A-levels are not the 'traditional academic' type that top universities prefer.

Law at Oxbridge/LSE/UCL is ridiculously competitive - very good candidates are routinely rejected.

Sorry if I sound harsh, I meant no offense. Just giving you my honest opinion.

His GCSE's are not poor. 50% of 16 year olds leave secondary school without achieving 5 GCSEs from A*- C. Dont be a douche.
Original post by FranticMind
Not really, seeing as you have to do these things at the other top law universities.

Looking at a quick couple of websites: some don't interview, and those that do only interview a far smaller proportion than Oxford, plus they only do 1 interview unlike Oxford.

They do use LNAT and interview more than i thought though - thanks for bringing that to my attention. Good for the OP i guess.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dbrown18
His GCSE's are not poor. 50% of 16 year olds leave secondary school without achieving 5 GCSEs from A*- C. Dont be a douche.

they said relatively, compared to most oxbridge applicants they are, though you are right that overall they are quite good, though these are only predicted resit grades...

And i would say that statistic shows what a failure the eductaion system is at the minute

Latest

Trending

Trending