The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A G484 Jan 2012 - The Newtonian World

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _Jasmine
I said so that the radius of the orbit is the right value to give an orbital period of 24 hours.

I thought have an equatorial orbit ensured that the satellite was geosynchronous? A geostationary satellite is merely a special case of a geosynchronous satellite.
Reply 841
Original post by sweetascandy
Guys you're all gunna get 10 warning points (like I got yesterday :cool:)

why would we? u can discuss ocr exams as soon as they finish
Reply 842
For the points plotted on the graph. Did anyone put all 3 on equilibrium :O
Reply 843
Original post by livvyyy
For the points plotted on the graph. Did anyone put all 3 on equilibrium :O

almost everyone did yes, its right
Reply 844
Original post by sweetascandy
Guys you're all gunna get 10 warning points (like I got yesterday :cool:)

I got 10 warning points for discussing c2 exam 20 mins after it finished.:cool:

But this ones fine I think :smile:
Reply 845
c2=edexcel "For Edexcel: morning exams may not be discussed until 12:00 midnight (BST) and afternoon exams until 4:30 AM (BST)." ocr u can discuss straight after
Reply 846
Original post by godkid308
You cannot be penalised for TOO MANY significant figures. Only too little. I asked my teacher this many times, and he said they test your precision in the practical assessments, not the exam. So even if you gave the answer as an exact answer (fraction) you would still get the mark. Only if you put it to something stupid like 1 sf then you lose marks.

Thank you. I hope that's true, if I can be bothered I might look for some examples of the mark scheme seemingly penalising answers with a higher degree of accuracy than expected (or perhaps I'm interpreting them wrong/recalling them incorrectly).

As for the power dissipated to offset the 0.25N damping force, I got 2.16/2.2N like others did. My original reasoning was that (using E = W*D and P = E/T) the distance was 2* the amplitude as you would not need to provide energy when the object was moving towards the equil. point, as it would now be using potential energy instead of kinetic energy. Now that I think about it though, 4* seems attractive too - both values requie you to assume something and we can only wait for someone like teachercol (please? :colondollar:) to post up solutions.
Reply 847
Original post by wig44
Thank you. I hope that's true, if I can be bothered I might look for some examples of the mark scheme seemingly penalising answers with a higher degree of accuracy than expected (or perhaps I'm interpreting them wrong/recalling them incorrectly).

As for the power dissipated to offset the 0.25N damping force, I got 2.16/2.2N like others did. My original reasoning was that (using E = W*D and P = E/T) the distance was 2* the amplitude as you would not need to provide energy when the object was moving towards the equil. point, as it would now be using potential energy instead of kinetic energy. Now that I think about it though, 4* seems attractive too - both values requie you to assume something and we can only wait for someone like teachercol (please? :colondollar:) to post up solutions.

he said he's going to do it this evening, give him a break :P
Reply 848
Original post by Moiraclaire
they wew all on the line x=0 :smile:

i don't think they were to be honest - the first two were...but the last one was when potential energy is a minimum...isn't potential energy a minimum when the oscillation is at its lowest ie. at -0.4m?
Reply 849
Original post by Kingz
Referring to the power question..it said the mean force was 0.25N, and I've forgotten what the frequency was, but what I did was work out the period (1/frequency) and then divided 0.25N over the period which have me the answer 600N (sounds right because it's a a full number) but I probably got that one wrong!!

Dividing the force by the period would not give you the correct unit of power, so we know that's wrong. Sorry! :frown:
Oh okay, my bad! :colondollar:
Original post by Stevo F
he said he's going to do it this evening, give him a break :P

I have a job teaching A level Physics too :wink:
Just ONE more left now before it's all OVER!
Reply 853
Original post by H_Rattan
i don't think they were to be honest - the first two were...but the last one was when potential energy is a minimum...isn't potential energy a minimum when the oscillation is at its lowest ie. at -0.4m?

For SHM I thought p.e is lowest when k.e is at max which is when x=0.
Original post by Stevo F

I think the max velocity had to be onthe equilibrium point after negative displacement going into positive displacement though? otherwise it would be minimum velocity rather than max velocity?

Original post by Sheheardvoices
I thought have an equatorial orbit ensured that the satellite was geosynchronous? A geostationary satellite is merely a special case of a geosynchronous satellite.

Isnt it because to the only way for it to stay above the same point on earth is for it to be orbiting above the equator?
Original post by Stevo F

Why is that right I thought that it said oscillating mass i thought P.E would be minimum below the equilibrum?
Reply 856
Original post by H_Rattan

nope potential energy is lowest when distance from equilibrium is lowest
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by teachercol
I have a job teaching A level Physics too :wink:

Do you think the boundaries would be similar to that of june 2011.....thnks:smile:
Reply 858
Original post by Megatron94
Why is that right I thought that it said oscillating mass i thought P.E would be minimum below the equilibrum?

min P.E is when displacement=0 sorry
Ur thinking of energy as being positive or negative but you can't have negative energy :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Megatron94

GPE would be at a minimum, but EPE would be at a maximum.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending