The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1540
Original post by hello123450
i have and i think a few others did, but i got them back in december but i suppose i applied around that time.

im assuming you applied. did you have interviews with either of those uni's?

I had interviews for both of them its been two weeks...haven't heard from them yet.....
Original post by faylove
yeah, hopefully if i meet the points i will be going there... have u applied for accommodation yet?...and also i have been reading the reviews of the city and they all seem to be negative, what's your take on that?

Yeah I applied for accommodation but depending of the bursary amount I'm hoping to live in a flat or maybe a house share, you? Well I've heard its got the worst rates of car theft in europe but surely that can't be true! And I have a friend from middlesbrough who is studying at my local uni and he said I wouldn't like it because if you took the most dodgy part of my city its like that all over.. So not great! But I reckon it has good and bad parts like everywhere and its a studenty place so I'm sure once we've made a few friends it'll soon grow on us :smile: definitely worth it to do our degree lol x
Reply 1542
Original post by SarahJayne2103
Yeah I applied for accommodation but depending of the bursary amount I'm hoping to live in a flat or maybe a house share, you? Well I've heard its got the worst rates of car theft in europe but surely that can't be true! And I have a friend from middlesbrough who is studying at my local uni and he said I wouldn't like it because if you took the most dodgy part of my city its like that all over.. So not great! But I reckon it has good and bad parts like everywhere and its a studenty place so I'm sure once we've made a few friends it'll soon grow on us :smile: definitely worth it to do our degree lol x

I have applied for the uni accommodation and still waiting to hear from them.... Have u received te link to apply for Nhs bursary yet?
Reply 1543
to anyone whos had 5 no's wat are ur plans from now on r u applying through extra for radiography? applying through extra for a diff subject or waiting for clearing? ive chosen a diff subject through extra but still waiting xx
Original post by Mel27x
to anyone whos had 5 no's wat are ur plans from now on r u applying through extra for radiography? applying through extra for a diff subject or waiting for clearing? ive chosen a diff subject through extra but still waiting xx

what subject? is it what u really want to do??
Reply 1545
Original post by dreaminchicken
what subject? is it what u really want to do??

ive put in for ODP, im as sure on it as i was radiography i know its something which id enjoy and want a career out of, im gonna wait for clearing i think now tho relii xx
Original post by Mel27x
ive put in for ODP, im as sure on it as i was radiography i know its something which id enjoy and want a career out of, im gonna wait for clearing i think now tho relii xx

When I applied I considered ODP but radiography got my interest more from the start. After I applied for radiography I thought I best check out ODP more just in case, so I arranged to visit theatre so I could have a chat with the theatre manager and a student who was there. I have to say as soon as I got there I knew it would not be for me and I'd made the right decision going for radiography. It just din't generate the same excitement in even visiting the dept compared to when I went to the x-ray dept. I can't say why, but I just knew it was not for me.

Since then I've only been down to theatre once or twice on placement but I have to say it's my least favourite aspect of placement. I don't know if you've done so yet but I would see if you can visit the dept as well and speak to people there and just see what you think. Best of luck x
Reply 1547
When I applied I considered ODP but radiography got my interest more from the start. After I applied for radiography I thought I best check out ODP more just in case, so I arranged to visit theatre so I could have a chat with the theatre manager and a student who was there. I have to say as soon as I got there I knew it would not be for me and I'd made the right decision going for radiography. It just din't generate the same excitement in even visiting the dept compared to when I went to the x-ray dept. I can't say why, but I just knew it was not for me.

Since then I've only been down to theatre once or twice on placement but I have to say it's my least favourite aspect of placement. I don't know if you've done so yet but I would see if you can visit the dept as well and speak to people there and just see what you think. Best of luck x

Noi havent yet but i will try and arrange something cos your right really it may be for some but not for others, id just really like to go uni this year, what unis have you applied to? and which have given you offers? x
Original post by Mel27x
Noi havent yet but i will try and arrange something cos your right really it may be for some but not for others, id just really like to go uni this year, what unis have you applied to? and which have given you offers? x

I applied for 2011 entry to BCU, Derby, Salford, Bradford and Cumbria. Cumbria was my top choice and I got in so i'm in my first year now. I know you want to start this year but if radiography is really what you want to do then try again next year. Whatever you choose to do, remember you're gonna be doing it 30+ years. Waiting one more year will be worth it if u get an offer next year. Focus on making your application as strong as possible
Reply 1549
Original post by Mel27x

ODP and radiography are complete opposites. most people who go into ODP are already working within hospitals in a clinical support role, so have working knowledge of theatre/NHS. - so is this your background?

I have a few friends who are ODPs and its most definitely a job you do for love, as the pay isnt that great. i would recommend getting some decent work experience, if not a short-term contract so you know exactly what the job involves. I doubt you will get very far in the application process either, without relevant care experience

B
Reply 1550
I applied for 2011 entry to BCU, Derby, Salford, Bradford and Cumbria. Cumbria was my top choice and I got in so i'm in my first year now. I know you want to start this year but if radiography is really what you want to do then try again next year. Whatever you choose to do, remember you're gonna be doing it 30+ years. Waiting one more year will be worth it if u get an offer next year. Focus on making your application as strong as possible

yeh i think your right with what your saying to be honest, no point rushing into another choice when im not 100% sure...just gutted cos i reli dnt wnna wait :frown: xx
Reply 1551
Original post by berlingo
ODP and radiography are complete opposites. most people who go into ODP are already working within hospitals in a clinical support role, so have working knowledge of theatre/NHS. - so is this your background?

I have a few friends who are ODPs and its most definitely a job you do for love, as the pay isnt that great. i would recommend getting some decent work experience, if not a short-term contract so you know exactly what the job involves. I doubt you will get very far in the application process either, without relevant care experience

B

No this int my background, ive been doing experience on xray department at my local hospital. I cant withdraw my application untill 3 weeks of them havin it so prob just wait now and see what they say :frown: but gnna be clearing and nxt yr for radiography i guess just reli dnt wnna be out of education again, took 4 years out and gone back this year and reli want to jst carry on and get where i want to be :frown: xx
Reply 1552
ODP is stressful as hell and as someone said above, completely different to radiography. If your heart isn't set on it, you're wasting your time.
Original post by Mel27x
No this int my background, ive been doing experience on xray department at my local hospital. I cant withdraw my application untill 3 weeks of them havin it so prob just wait now and see what they say :frown: but gnna be clearing and nxt yr for radiography i guess just reli dnt wnna be out of education again, took 4 years out and gone back this year and reli want to jst carry on and get where i want to be :frown: xx

There's people in this thread who applied last year and didn't get in but have re-applied this year and got onto the course so persevere :smile:
Reply 1554
There's people in this thread who applied last year and didn't get in but have re-applied this year and got onto the course so persevere :smile:

thank you for ur advice yano i think im gonna just have to wait, gonna be hard for me but it will soon pass surely :smile: if not maybe clearing will have something for me. Everything in life happens for a reason so maybe this year just isnt for me. xx
I didn't get in when I applied for 2010 entry and then I took an extra year and resat the exams I needed to and got in 2011 entry. I was hard the first year but it worked out for the best and in the end I was glad that I didn't give up. I could have got on to a degree through clearing but it wouldn't have been radiography so I am glad I stuck to what I wanted to do.

I got offers the first time around so I knew my interview went well and my personal statement was fine and it was literally my grades which let me down so I worked on that. If your grades meet the entry requirements and your have experience then you need to contact the uni's and ask for feedback on what let you down and then work on that over the next year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Finally got an interview for herts!!!! =]
Reply 1557
Original post by razzmatazz rach
I didn't get in when I applied for 2010 entry and then I took an extra year and resat the exams I needed to and got in 2011 entry. I was hard the first year but it worked out for the best and in the end I was glad that I didn't give up. I could have got on to a degree through clearing but it wouldn't have been radiography so I am glad I stuck to what I wanted to do.

I got offers the first time around so I knew my interview went well and my personal statement was fine and it was literally my grades which let me down so I worked on that. If your grades meet the entry requirements and your have experience then you need to contact the uni's and ask for feedback on what let you down and then work on that over the next year.

Most of them said no cos of my personal statement wasnt as strong as others, i had 9 shifts in radiography department but i dont think i put that across as strogly as i could...the tutor who is ment to know everything unis want for personal statements made a mess of mine...takin stuff out and tellin me wt to put in she took all the personal stuff out and jst made it crap :frown: wish id of realised before hand i will make sure it is perfect for next time but i wont give up..not point doin a course half hearted. Radiography is what i want to do and what i want to be. I loved the work experience ive been through alot recently had 2 slipped discs cos some daft sod filled somet reli high n i picked it up n it did my back in so maybe a year out will be good to help 100% recovery :smile: xx
Original post by miss-pink09
Finally got an interview for herts!!!! =]

Still waiting to hear from Herts...
Original post by Mel27x
Most of them said no cos of my personal statement wasnt as strong as others, i had 9 shifts in radiography department but i dont think i put that across as strogly as i could...the tutor who is ment to know everything unis want for personal statements made a mess of mine...takin stuff out and tellin me wt to put in she took all the personal stuff out and jst made it crap :frown: wish id of realised before hand i will make sure it is perfect for next time but i wont give up..not point doin a course half hearted. Radiography is what i want to do and what i want to be. I loved the work experience ive been through alot recently had 2 slipped discs cos some daft sod filled somet reli high n i picked it up n it did my back in so maybe a year out will be good to help 100% recovery :smile: xx

Next time go to the PS Help Forum on here and ask for feedback. I applied on my own as I wasn't at college or anything so the only feedback I got on my PS was from the forum on here and it did the trick so bear that in mind for next time x

Latest