The Student Room Group

Girls who shave

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SilGathien
http://vagendamag.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/hair-not-musical.html#!/2012/04/hair-not-musical.html

This. I have to say it does annoy me a bit, but some of it is bang on the mark.

That was really interesting- thanks for linking it :smile:

edit: I'm extending this thank you to introducing me to the site as a whole, I'll rep you tomorrow :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by annelidatome
Why is shaving your legs such an important thing for girls? My step-mother won't let me shave because "you're only 14, you don't need to be trying to look sexy" but guys don't even notice. so why does it turn girls vicious, I get attacked all the time (wel, I wear jeans, so not 'all' the time) but why?

I think I started shaving when I was about 12 or 13 and it was mainly because of peer pressure. (P.e. classes where you must wear shorts people noticed and said stuff. But the thing is my leg hair was so light it was almost blond and invisible). Anyway, i really wish I had not because with about 3 years of shaving my leg hair had grown darker and thicker and I truly hated it. It's fine in winter, but what about summer where I'd want to wear dresses, shorts or a skirt?

For 3 or 4 years now I have been waxing my legs. I only shave if I am desperate and that's happened about twice. I am hoping to get my leg hair back to the state is was before I shaved.

I also have a boyfriend now but thankfully he doesn't care as all if my legs are hairy. but I still wax because I hate the hair.

End of the day my advice is don't shave, but if you don't want the hair then wax (or at least use hair removal cream) - if like me you don't want to end up having stubbly legs every day :P.
Original post by Memo100
Women should not be smooth down there... thats just disgusting, i'm pretty sure any man would want to know and feel like he's having sex with a woman :/

Well, there's more to being 'womanly' than having a hairy pussy, and if a guy needs to see that to confirm himself as in the presence of someone past puberty, then something's already amiss.

But I rather prefer some hair, though not entirely unmanaged.
Original post by ZOMFG_it'sCaiters
http://cdn.instanttrap.com/trap.jpg - Just a little visual presentation there of what I think.

But seriously, once you start shaving on your top lip. You can never stop. Your hair will grow back faster and thicker so whats the point in starting anyway?

Outted as a 4channer.

But, lol that's a myth. Shaving does not cause hair to grow back quicker or thicker. Kill yourself if you actually believe that.
Reply 244
Original post by im so academic
Exactly. Bull****, unrealistic and in a fantasy world. There's a reason why it's called "fiction". Oh and they're always pretty in the novel.

Still, you need to be somewhat attractive to find love.

Erm...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2155260/Is-worlds-biggest-wedding-gown-An-800lb-bride-NINE-foot-waist-measured-ahead-big-day.html
I think I first properly shaved my legs when I was about 12. I remember when I was about 6 my Mum had just got out the bath and was shaving her legs, and I wanted to know what it was like so she did one shin for me. I remember it feeling weird and waayyyy too grown up.

I first shaved actually because my cousins and Aunties used to call me teddy bear, because I was so hairy. Not hairy like men are, but noticeably hairier than most other girls. I'd only shave when I knew I was going to be around boys or people who would pick me out as being weird. I soon found out that my extra hairyness was due to a slight hormone inbalance, and so now I have normal female body hair.

I would say shave if you want to, but do NOT feel like you have to do it everyday. Not in a stand against men kind of way, but because if you do it comes back thicker and darker etc. I used to shave my just for certain occasions. I would say wax if you can afford it, and don't do it yourself go to a salon or get a friend/sibling/mum to do it. If you do it yourself it will come out patchy and cold wax strips hurt way more than the hot salon wax. If you do have a boyfriend or end up getting one who expects you to ALWAYS be hairless, DUMP HIM ASAP. Waste of space, selfish and uncaring.

When it comes to tidying your lady garden. Go with whatever you feel comfortable with. Crazy untamed bush is a bad idea as it can make wearing tight things like tights or shorts very uncomfortable, it also means that you're more warm down there and in the same way you wouldn't wanna walk around with sweaty hairy arm pits, the same in your knickers is probably not pleasant. ew. I switch between getting brazillian waxes and bikini waxes. I never get a full hollywood - something very very wrong about some people finding it attractive to have sex with someone who resembles a giant 6 month old baby. It also stings like hell.
Original post by JustCharley
I think I first properly shaved my legs when I was about 12. I remember when I was about 6 my Mum had just got out the bath and was shaving her legs, and I wanted to know what it was like so she did one shin for me. I remember it feeling weird and waayyyy too grown up.

I first shaved actually because my cousins and Aunties used to call me teddy bear, because I was so hairy. Not hairy like men are, but noticeably hairier than most other girls. I'd only shave when I knew I was going to be around boys or people who would pick me out as being weird. I soon found out that my extra hairyness was due to a slight hormone inbalance, and so now I have normal female body hair.

I would say shave if you want to, but do NOT feel like you have to do it everyday. Not in a stand against men kind of way, but because if you do it comes back thicker and darker etc. I used to shave my just for certain occasions. I would say wax if you can afford it, and don't do it yourself go to a salon or get a friend/sibling/mum to do it. If you do it yourself it will come out patchy and cold wax strips hurt way more than the hot salon wax. If you do have a boyfriend or end up getting one who expects you to ALWAYS be hairless, DUMP HIM ASAP. Waste of space, selfish and uncaring.

When it comes to tidying your lady garden. Go with whatever you feel comfortable with. Crazy untamed bush is a bad idea as it can make wearing tight things like tights or shorts very uncomfortable, it also means that you're more warm down there and in the same way you wouldn't wanna walk around with sweaty hairy arm pits, the same in your knickers is probably not pleasant. ew. I switch between getting brazillian waxes and bikini waxes. I never get a full hollywood - something very very wrong about some people finding it attractive to have sex with someone who resembles a giant 6 month old baby. It also stings like hell.

Apart from the hair coming back thicker and darker bit which is a myth, this post is spot on!

And some additional advice for the OP, if you mum thinks it's too 'sexy' for your to shave your legs, offer her a compromise of only shaving up to your knees. You're not shaving everything to appear 'sexy' or anything, just the bits that are visible during PE for example. That's how I got round my mum...
Original post by minimarshmallow
Apart from the hair coming back thicker and darker bit which is a myth, this post is spot on!

And some additional advice for the OP, if you mum thinks it's too 'sexy' for your to shave your legs, offer her a compromise of only shaving up to your knees. You're not shaving everything to appear 'sexy' or anything, just the bits that are visible during PE for example. That's how I got round my mum...

I don't think it's a myth. The shape of a hair is slightly triangular, and so every time you cut it when shaving the bit that is the top of the hair will be thicker than it was before. Also, your hairs are darker at the roots than they are at the ends, and the same principle applies, the more often you shave the darker the tip will get.

Deffo only to the knees. I do my thighs like, maybe 3 times a year. The hair is so blonde and soft up on my thighs there is very little point.
I don't think it's a myth. The shape of a hair is slightly triangular, and so every time you cut it when shaving the bit that is the top of the hair will be thicker than it was before. Also, your hairs are darker at the roots than they are at the ends, and the same principle applies, the more often you shave the darker the tip will get.

Deffo only to the knees. I do my thighs like, maybe 3 times a year. The hair is so blonde and soft up on my thighs there is very little point.

When you cut off the top it'll go prickly like stubble, but it was always that thick, it just tapered to a point so you never noticed.
And it might appear darker because you only ever see the root, but the roots won't actually get darker and they were always that colour they were just slightly masked by the lighter coloured tips.
When you cut off the top it'll go prickly like stubble, but it was always that thick, it just tapered to a point so you never noticed.
And it might appear darker because you only ever see the root, but the roots won't actually get darker and they were always that colour they were just slightly masked by the lighter coloured tips.

Yes, but you will notice the thicker bit and the darker bits after you shave because, as you say, they aren't masked by a lighter coloured tip or tapered point.
Yes, but you will notice the thicker bit and the darker bits after you shave because, as you say, they aren't masked by a lighter coloured tip or tapered point.

Yes, they may appear to be be thicker or darker, but they actually aren't thicker or darker than they were before you started shaving, they were always like that.
Yes, they may appear to be be thicker or darker, but they actually aren't thicker or darker than they were before you started shaving, they were always like that.

Okay but I think that the appearance of thicker and darker hair is just as bad, and so it's a very good reason not to shave. That was all I meant. I don't want hair on my legs to either be or appear thicker and darker, the consequence is the same, so I would suggest not shaving.
Original post by jb_keep_walking
Outted as a 4channer.

But, lol that's a myth. Shaving does not cause hair to grow back quicker or thicker. Kill yourself if you actually believe that.

I'm definitely, not a '4channer', just a culturally aware individual. Hair definitely does grow back faster, for me anyways. The first time I waxed my legs was when I was 14. I leave it for a month and it's the same length when compared to the time I grew it for 14 years. And even if it doesn't do you know how itchy and bothersome it would be? Men aren't forced to shave their beards, so why should women?
Reply 254
Exactly. Bull****, unrealistic and in a fantasy world. There's a reason why it's called "fiction". Oh and they're always pretty in the novel.

Still, you need to be somewhat attractive to find love.

My point is that people read fiction because they can relate to the situation. If no one was ever confused about other people perceived them then approaching strangers wouldn't be so scary.
You don't need to be attractive to find love. I agree attractive people may have an easier time attracting potential mates but you don't love someone for their looks, also generally people who have personalities that you find attractive tend to seem more physically attractive anyway.
Original post by ZOMFG_it'sCaiters
I'm definitely, not a '4channer', just a culturally aware individual. Hair definitely does grow back faster, for me anyways. The first time I waxed my legs was when I was 14. I leave it for a month and it's the same length when compared to the time I grew it for 14 years. And even if it doesn't do you know how itchy and bothersome it would be? Men aren't forced to shave their beards, so why should women?

Different expectations for different genders.

No one bats an eyelid if men don't shave their underarms, but heaven forbid a women leaving it natural.
Ugh, I hate the pressure that's put on females to shave. It's what made me start in the first place. I was around 12 and I was getting dressed for PE one day, and these girls came up to me and started calling me names and such because I had fine hair all over my legs. It shouldn't have really mattered to me, but because I was bullied from the age of around 6 until 15, I was completely distraught and I went home and dry-shaved both of my legs up to my knees and ended up cutting a lot of my skin. (Consequently, the I had PE the day after that and I got made fun of for having cuts too.)

I don't think anyone should feel that they have to shave/wax to be accepted. I didn't like being made to feel that if I didn't I would never be accepted. It's completely awful to just dismiss someone because of their looks.
I think it comes down to personal choice & also what you're wearing. My legs are bare most of the time so I shave them regularly. I wouldn't say I feel under pressure to shave- I just think it looks better. If I were wearing tights or jeans every day I probably wouldn't bother shaving my legs as often
Reply 258
That's not true love.

If it doesn't take true love to stick with her then you're looking for the wrong thing, love.
Reply 259
What a funny discussion! :laugh: Well, it depends on the person. If she likes it, keep it! If she doesn't, wax it! :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest