The Student Room Group

'80% of men unhappy with looks', are you one of them.......?

Was reading today that apparently 4 out of 5 men are unhappy with the way they look/certian aspects of their body. Obviously there is a bit more of a stigma for a man to complain about his looks than women, so are you one of them? How happy are you with how you look?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by hiding12
Was reading today that apparently 4 out of 5 men are unhappy with the way they look/certian aspects of their body. Obviously there is a bit more of a stigma for a man to complain about his looks than women, so are you one of them? How happy are you with how you look?

What stigma?
Reply 2
Original post by Dark Horse
What stigma?

well, that you're branded a 'wus' if you complain about it
, so are you one of them? How happy are you with how you look?

I'd say I'm one of them. I don't admit it though :biggrin:

I'd say on a scale of 1 to 10 I'm about a 4 in terms of being happy with how I look. I wouldn't say I was seriously ugly, just unspectacular really. I notice other men and think they are better than me all the time. :redface:

I also notice men that make me think I'm an oil painting in comparison :cool:

Hang on.

4/5 men are unhappy with some part of their body (more like 100%)

or 4/5 men are unhappy with their body overall.
Original post by Classical Liberal
Hang on.

4/5 men are unhappy with some part of their body (more like 100%)

or 4/5 men are unhappy with their body overall.

First thing you said sounds about right. I reckon 1 in 5 men probably are happy with their body.
It's just getting stupid. I'm pretty much the idolised size/shape for a guy (6'1, slim, muscular, etc), and even I feel the pressure to conform to obscene standards. Can't imagine what it's like for someone that's different from the 'norm'.

If you want some scary example of it; head to bodybuilding.com and check misc. You get an insane amount of body dismorphia in there. Being an average size is extremely unattractive, below 6ft is manlet, 16 inch arms or you're skinny, etc. Crazy.
(edited 11 years ago)
I am, but I think it's only natural to want to be better.
I am 4/5 happy with myself.
Reply 9
I've always been unhappy/felt ugly.

And I think women are just as visual as men, they just don't like to admit it. So the fact I'm skinny and hardly muscular makes me feel the same as an overweight woman with tiny breasts.

I want to look like that...

is it too much to ask:frown:
OP i'm not surprised really, i don't think guys are as insecure as girls but i do think they can be quite insecure, based in the guys i know, at least some times. it's just more of a stigma to talk about it but i don't know why. i have one guy who always says "oh she likes me, she likes me" etc. and acts kind of cocky but i know he is actually quite insecure.
Original post by spiral87
I've always been unhappy/felt ugly.

And I think women are just as visual as men, they just don't like to admit it. So the fact I'm skinny and hardly muscular makes me feel the same as an overweight woman with tiny breasts.

Slurp. I adore skinny men. And I don't mean slim with small defined muscles. I mean emaciated and look like they couldn't punch a pillow. I also like them to be about 5'6-5'9 in height so we can kiss easily. There aren't many examples in the media but I suppose Joseph Gorden-Levitt is a fairly good one but could be skinnier.

Although I am taken (he's very skinny) there are surely other girls like me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Toaster Leavings
Slurp. I adore skinny men. And I don't mean slim with small defined muscles. I mean emaciated and look like they couldn't punch a pillow. I also like them to be about 5'6-5'9 in height so we can kiss easily. There aren't many examples in the media but I suppose Joseph Gorden-Levitt is a fairly good one.

But your BF would get his ass kicked by 90% of young males.
Original post by Theoneoranro
But your BF would get his ass kicked by 90% of young males.

So?

I like picking him up. :colondollar:

Anyway, he is clever and I'd rather have that asset than brawn in an emergency.
It is fairly easy to avoid getting into fights nowadays.
Reply 15
Slurp. I adore skinny men. And I don't mean slim with small defined muscles. I mean emaciated and look like they couldn't punch a pillow. I also like them to be about 5'6-5'9 in height so we can kiss easily. There aren't many examples in the media but I suppose Joseph Gorden-Levitt is a fairly good one but could be skinnier.

Not sure if trolling or serious.............I mean I've seen girls on TSR say they like skinny men, but not emaciated :eek: Besides, I'm not emaciated, just tall (6ft 2), below average build. And not even toned. (Working on it)
Reply 16
Original post by Aisha~~

If you want some scary example of it; head to bodybuilding.com and check misc. You get an insane amount of body dismorphia in there. Being an average size is extremely unattractive, below 6ft is manlet, 16 inch arms or you're skinny, etc. Crazy.

I concur.

This seems to be the most desired body type these days. I see many guys of this description who do very well with the girls. Although how much of it is due to the fact that ripped guys are quite rare I don't know.
So?

I like picking him up. :colondollar:

Anyway, he is clever and I'd rather have that asset than brawn in an emergency.
It is fairly easy to avoid getting into fights nowadays.

LMFAO you can pick him up hahaa, I suggest you don't do that because he probably feels like a little wimp if you do that.
It's one of those stats that sounds pretty high, but then you think about the visually judgemental culture we live in and the fact that it's just less common for men to talk to each other about their looks and it starts to sound about right.

I suppose I'm fairly rare in that there isn't anything about my appearance that worries me. I appreciate there are ways in which I could be better looking, but they don't make me uncomfortable. I'm not bad looking, and I feel like I look about right for the person that I am. I suppose I wouldn't mind a little extra height though.
Reply 19
Original post by Aisha~~
It's just getting stupid. I'm pretty much the idolised size/shape for a guy (6'1, slim, muscular, etc), and even I feel the pressure to conform to obscene standards. Can't imagine what it's like for someone that's different from the 'norm'.

yeh I can imagine, lol. I don't see the appeal of being that huge, I mean its essentially pointless apart from an aesthetic view? I mean you can barely move or play sport or do anything maybe apart from rugby perhaps.

Quick Reply

Latest