The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by tooosh
You started off saying resistance training was useless for sports performance and now you've compromised to it's useful to a point. I don't think anyone ever said it's all you need for ANY sport, excluding lifting sports.

I don't think I said it was useless, just that it does not "develop" explosiveness - a myth being pushed around this forum.
Reply 81
Original post by IRL
I don't think I said it was useless, just that it does not "develop" explosiveness - a myth being pushed around this forum.

Ha my bad, it wasn't you.
Reply 82
Original post by Ocassus
So because my sport is not a popular one it doesn't count in this argument?

There was no argument to speak of. Regardless of your competition history in a sport I could care less about, it has no relevance to the discussion at hand.
I think the point is pretty simple about weight training:
It will probably help the majority of athletes to be stronger than they currently are since some degree of limit strength is necessary for all tasks. In addition, limit strength is a very trainable quality in comparison to the majority of motor qualities. The point is not that athletes necessarily need to be strong in absolute terms but whether they would benefit from resistance training, which is true in the vast majority of cases. What form this takes is another question entirely.

With regard to IRL's point about biomechanics: if you're trying to improve yourself, it's not as if you can make your limbs longer or make your limb ratios closer to the what you can get for your sport. You can only make yourself stronger, faster, more flexible or improve your endurance. Might as well focus on what you can do with your genetics rather than just bitch about the limitations.

IRL
Christophe Lemaitre can sprint faster than you ever will and does not lift weights. It isn't the panacea you believe it to be.

This is untrue and even if it were true, the vast majority of sprinters lift for a reason: it improves the performance at their sport. This is not to say that the best sprinters are the best lifters but merely that weight training does improve sprint times in the vast majority of individuals.

IRL
Yes some boxers lift weight as part of their supplementary strength and conditioning programs. Punching power is more complex than simply lifting more in the gym and as a result punching harder. There are plenty of people that go to gyms and can out-lift professional boxers, yet will never punch as hard.

The point remains that if you resistance train in a sensible manner, you will hit harder. You might as well train the motor qualities you can do get better at your chosen sport. Genetics may determine how far you can go but if you're serious about training, you might as well do what you can do maximise your potential.

IRL
Another example is Harry Aikines Aryteey (sp?) the sprinter, who can power clean 400lbs yet is nowhere near top level sprinters times.
The point remains that he is faster for doing resistance training than without it.
My point still stands that explosiveness can't be built to any great extent from weight training alone. There's just more too it. People need to accept what they are and all of this "training" won't make a bit of difference apart from to their bodyspace profile "stats" or TSR fitness guru recognition.

Doesn't change the fact that the majority of people will run faster if they lift weights. Increasing your leg strength will make you run faster even if you don't sprint up until a certain point. This is not to say that the biggest squatter is the fastest sprinter, but it is probable for many people that increasing their squat will decrease their sprint times.

IRL
Lactic acid is another sports science myth.

Explain. It seems quite obvious that lactic acid exists.

Finally, it depends on what you mean by 'explosiveness.' It's probable that if you coach someone to do kettlebell swings, jumps, cleans and other fast lifts that they will be able to jump higher, run faster etc which will transfer over in a tangible way to the majority of what most people would describe as 'athletic' activities.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by IRL
It is overrated as you correctly stated. A lot of people who lift heavy and are trying to get big are often the ones who failed at sports when they were younger or got bullied/teased and feel the need to look intimidating to others. After they get bigger and stronger they still suck at the sports.

Gaining weight can be a burden if you're into a competitive sport which requires some kind of endurance.

For the majority of people who just want a reasonable physique when they take their t-shirt off at the beach, all this heavy lifting (deadlifts, squats etc...) stuff is simply unnecessary.

so numpt'y ..the factor where personal satisfaction comes in the way isnt even in your mind right?? or that they might like have a certain physique...you are some boring p#&sys here...
Reply 85
Original post by The Blind Monk
I think the point is pretty simple about weight training:
It will probably help the majority of athletes to be stronger than they currently are since some degree of limit strength is necessary for all tasks. In addition, limit strength is a very trainable quality in comparison to the majority of motor qualities. The point is not that athletes necessarily need to be strong in absolute terms but whether they would benefit from resistance training, which is true in the vast majority of cases. What form this takes is another question entirely.

With regard to IRL's point about biomechanics: if you're trying to improve yourself, it's not as if you can make your limbs longer or make your limb ratios closer to the what you can get for your sport. You can only make yourself stronger, faster, more flexible or improve your endurance. Might as well focus on what you can do with your genetics rather than just bitch about the limitations.

This is untrue and even if it were true, the vast majority of sprinters lift for a reason: it improves the performance at their sport. This is not to say that the best sprinters are the best lifters but merely that weight training does improve sprint times in the vast majority of individuals.

The point remains that if you resistance train in a sensible manner, you will hit harder. You might as well train the motor qualities you can do get better at your chosen sport. Genetics may determine how far you can go but if you're serious about training, you might as well do what you can do maximise your potential.

Doesn't change the fact that the majority of people will run faster if they lift weights. Increasing your leg strength will make you run faster even if you don't sprint up until a certain point. This is not to say that the biggest squatter is the fastest sprinter, but it is probable for many people that increasing their squat will decrease their sprint times.

Explain. It seems quite obvious that lactic acid exists.

Finally, it depends on what you mean by 'explosiveness.' It's probable that if you coach someone to do kettlebell swings, jumps, cleans and other fast lifts that they will be able to jump higher, run faster etc which will transfer over in a tangible way to the majority of what most people would describe as 'athletic' activities.

Yes the most recent research suggests LACTATE (not lactic acid) exists but is in fact beneficial to motor function.

There is a lot more to understand about physiology and biomechanics than just lifting heavy is good/bad etc etc. If OP wanted a decent body he shouldnt be taking advice from a bodybuilders forum for starters, eating like a horse and lifting heavy is how you get like that, it increases mass. Strength is a bit misinterpreted and the body weight exercises you do now are good for strength gains that you will actually use, not to mention compulsory base fitness before you do any 'heavy lifting'.

I am sure if I looked through your two years of training and lifestyle I could spot many reasons to why you may not have noticed much change, and not understood why. -Think how complex your body is as a system, everything you do will effect it in someway, the more factors you learn about and control the more efficient your workouts will be.

For people on twitter interested in Fitness I highly recommend following @HealthHabits they gie great advice and up to date research.

-Sport Science Student
Reply 86
the responses and opinions in this thread tell us more about marketing than anything else
Reply 87
Original post by Average_Aaron
seriously, whenever I hear advice of EAT LIKE A HORSE LIFT HEAVY! i facepalm

it does nothing but put pointless excessive strain on your joints for minute added strength gains

I've switched to calisthenics only after 2 years of weights and have been progressing every week

moral: Lifting heavy is overrated. 1-5 rep ranges are pointless unless you're a powerlifter

It all depends on your goal. Liften smaller amounts more often increase your strength. However, doing max lifts (when you lift as much as you can) increases muscle size. So if you want your muscles to get bigger, the best way is to lift as much as you can. If you want actual strength, lift a decent amount a lot.
I always do 3 sets of 8 reps for all my lifts/curls/whatevers... works for me when i stick at it...
Original post by IRL
You will not get "more explosive" by lifting weights, otherwise all field athletes would need to do is lift weights and nothing else. Please note most records in the field events of athletics have remained unbroken for 15-25 years.

you do realise all decent sprinters train olympic lifts, right?
>IRL
>banned

this pleases me immensely. What a fantastic ****storm of a thread. Lol'd heartily. Would read again/10
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Smousers
Yes the most recent research suggests LACTATE (not lactic acid) exists but is in fact beneficial to motor function.
I am aware that lactate has been hypothesised to be a fuel source that improves as opposed to decreases performance.
There is a lot more to understand about physiology and biomechanics than just lifting heavy is good/bad etc etc.
Sure there is. I've just claimed there are benefits to resistance training for the vast majority of people, which is not a notion you've disproved in any way whatsoever.
If OP wanted a decent body he shouldnt be taking advice from a bodybuilders forum for starters, eating like a horse and lifting heavy is how you get like that, it increases mass. Strength is a bit misinterpreted and the body weight exercises you do now are good for strength gains that you will actually use, not to mention compulsory base fitness before you do any 'heavy lifting'.
I don't think any of the regulars are actually claiming you need to jump right into maxing. The idea of 'functional' strength seems quite silly to me. I do not train bodyweight really. Yet I find it reasonably easy to do lower-level gymnastic skills like L-Sits, hanging leg raises, handstand pushups, one arm pushups etc. So basic weight training has transferred over the other way. You could say the same of my ability to move objects etc. Functional strength is entirely determinant on the function you're trying to express. To all intents and purposes, my training is 'functional.' I would also argue that in many respects, something like a MedX machine is more useful than bodyweight for a lot of beginners.
I am sure if I looked through your two years of training and lifestyle I could spot many reasons to why you may not have noticed much change, and not understood why. -Think how complex your body is as a system, everything you do will effect it in someway, the more factors you learn about and control the more efficient your workouts will be.
I'm pretty sure why I haven't got that much stronger to be honest. I don't eat very much, this is not news to me. When I eat more (see what happens during the summer of my log, I get stronger. Some form of periodization/cycling helps as well.

Just because I reread the post: surely the most logical thing for a person to do is look at the bunch of people who are training most closely to what appear to be their goals? Lots of people have aesthetic goals and the bodybuilding community has a lot to share with people who train with aesthetic goals in mind. You can eat a lot, lift heavy and become less aesthetic as you end up fatter and with a proportionately bigger arse/legs, which you may not want. Happens all the time with powerlifting-influenced training such as starting strength.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 92
Original post by _vilaseca_
Yes but boxers train every week so obviously with practice they will be able to transfer their gained strength into the punch. If you go gym and thats it then your fighting skills are not going to get much better.

The point I was opposing is that weight training does nothing for punching power, when it does. Yes they need to practice technique and application of their strength; I never said that weight training is all you need.
My jimmies were really rustled reading through this thread.
Must be legit.
This thread is so so stupid.
Ain't readin all posts

But stand by my point 100%. lifting in 1-5 rep range is pointless unless you're a powerlifter
Ain't readin all posts

But stand by my point 100%. lifting in 1-5 rep range is pointless unless you're a powerlifter

Is it still OK to do 6 reps?
Reply 98
Ain't readin all posts

So what if you're a 72kg triple jumper and want to become more explosive...would you suggest a nice 8-12 rep bodybuilding routine really focussing on the 'squeeze' and 'mind muscle connection' to be nice and heavy and not that strong? or to do low rep stuff meaning you don't add on useless mass and get much stronger?

If you're your typical gym rat that is a bit ugly, is in crap shape and wants a few t-shirt muscles to help him pull a fat mess on Saturday night, I agree your method is best and I hope you succeed in your goal. But for people that do sports, low reps are much better.
Reply 99
Original post by KasanDude
It all depends on your goal. Liften smaller amounts more often increase your strength. However, doing max lifts (when you lift as much as you can) increases muscle size. So if you want your muscles to get bigger, the best way is to lift as much as you can. If you want actual strength, lift a decent amount a lot.

Sure you haven't got that backwards?

High weight x low reps -> strength
moderate weight x slightly more reps -> hypertrophy

Unless my gym instructor training is more full of bull**** than I previously thought. I'm going to say it's more likely to be right than you are in this case, though. Someone else can shed some light on it if they want, I'm more than happy to modify what I've learned with convincing arguments from knowledgeable people in this subforum.

Latest