The Student Room Group

Do you need an official transcript for Master's applications?

I did a lot of research early in the summer to make sure my applications were sent off early but when applying I've noticed that they all want a transcript. This costs money to order from my university and takes up to a month!

Do you actually need an official one for masters applications? It's going to really delay my application now
Reply 1
Original post by lil sister
I did a lot of research early in the summer to make sure my applications were sent off early but when applying I've noticed that they all want a transcript. This costs money to order from my university and takes up to a month!

Do you actually need an official one for masters applications? It's going to really delay my application now

If you are a current student then any transcript should be provided free of charge. If you are a graduate then they want a copy of your degree certificate, not your transcript.

It was rather naive to think you could apply without a transcript; on what basis would universities make an offer? Your A level results? The university you currently attend?...
Reply 2
Do you actually need an official one for masters applications?

If the individual universities say you need one, then you need one. If they don't specify "official" (i.e. a copy endorsed with your undergrad university's official seal) then they might accept a plain photocopy from you. Check with them direct.

Some don't need a transcript as part of the application process. My Masters application went in this time in my third year and relied on my referees, who confirmed my performance to date and anticipated final result. The only time my full official transcript was requested, was the day I went to campus to formally enrol at the start of the course.

If it's any help, you're way ahead of the game with your application (the majority of people I knew who went for a Masters, didn't start thinking about it until after Christmas of the third year) so if an officially-endorsed copy *is* needed, a month's delay won't be that significant.
Reply 3
In order to avoid fraud and to see what your first degree content was etc, most Universities insist on seeing a transcript not just a degree certificate.

Yes, most Universities will supply these free initially (we got given 5 copies on request at graduation) but then ask for a payment for subsequent copies. I now have a copy of mine scanned in to send as an email attachment which saves time. Phone your University 'Academic Registry' or 'Senate House' to get the ball rolling and stress its urgency (politely). Dont just email as this often just gets ignored or sidelined.

Often you can actually apply for a post-grad course without this - check first - and add a note like 'transcript to follow', and send it to them asap.

I applied for a PhD scholarship without a 2nd reference because my ex-tutor had moved overseas and my u/grad Uni wouldn't release a copy of my academic reference without his consent. The PhD Uni made me an offer 'conditional on receipt of 2nd reference' which was formally confirmed once I had produced this second reference.
Reply 4
Original post by evantej
If you are a current student then any transcript should be provided free of charge. If you are a graduate then they want a copy of your degree certificate, not your transcript.

It was rather naive to think you could apply without a transcript; on what basis would universities make an offer? Your A level results? The university you currently attend?...

Incorrect in both paragraphs.

It costs me £20 for a transcript for my grades to date and £5 for each extra one ordered with it.

Secondly, of course I knew they would require to see my grades but assumed that I could either provide an unofficial one which I have already or simply fill out my modules and grades and provide an official transcript if I receive and accept an offer to prove they are true.
Reply 5
In case someone searches for this - I rang up the places I'm applying to and most of them said that an unofficial transcript is fine (I just took a screencap and saved it) but they will require the official one if and when you get an offer.
Reply 6
In case someone searches for this - I rang up the places I'm applying to and most of them said that an unofficial transcript is fine (I just took a screencap and saved it) but they will require the official one if and when you get an offer.

Just to reiterate this point ('cause I'm too late to help you anyway :colonhash:) - I uploaded my results letter thingy that I received at the end of 2nd year (mainly because my uni didn't do interim transcripts...or I talked to a stupid person...still) - so it wasn't official but looked transcripty enough (i.e. it had all my module marks to date and was on letter-headed paper to show genuineness)

(I know I'm making up words and stuff but hopefully the point of the above makes sense so :colonhash:)

Would an "unofficial transcript" also include a photocopy of the original one? I'm an overseas student and our university allows us to file for re-evaluation of up to four papers if we're not satisfied with the marks, and we have to submit the original transcript with the re-evaluation application. I haven't received my new transcript yet and will probably not be receiving it for another fortnight. Do you think a scan of the photocopy of the old one will be accepted or should I wait for a couple of weeks?
Reply 8
Yes, so long as you explain this clearly with your application.

Most UK Unis will want to see original or legally certified copies of documents before you actually enrol (some, even before they will make a binding offer). but sending something 'temporary' with an initial application is fine so long as you explain this in your application.
Original post by cjc3676
Yes, so long as you explain this clearly with your application.

Most UK Unis will want to see original or legally certified copies of documents before you actually enrol (some, even before they will make a binding offer). but sending something 'temporary' with an initial application is fine so long as you explain this in your application.

Thanks for clarifying. I believe I'll send the photocopy with an explanation then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending