The Student Room Group

Gap Medics - Tanzania

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Polioz
Last year I got 560 ukcat and this year 683 :tongue:, which I am very pleased with even though I got like 500 in VR -.-. What did you get both years?

I would love to go zanzibar but I am traveling alone and I dont want to extend my flight and what not and then have no one to go with. What I am hoping to do is , if I make a few good friends during my stay, during the weekend head off to zanzibar :biggrin:. I called and they said we are allowed to take days off. Not many people do what I suggested but meh.

Definitely will go to the safari, orphanage...mmm probably.

on my gap year I have just planned this trip, and I am working full time in retail. But thats it really, I might do some volounteering but Im short on time. I really sort of sacrificed the volounteering and stuff so I can work and fund this trip that Ive always wanted to go to. I also want to go thailand in summer (backpacking), so essentially im blowing everything I earn this year on traveling, you only live once ey ? :biggrin:

What are you planning?

Nice one! I got 620 last year and 662.5 this year, my QR really pulled me down D: i know my scores a bit meh but hopefully it'll be enough *fingers crosses*

ahhh yess! omg i was thinking the same about going to zanzibar, that maybe i could go for a weekend with people i meet there (it'd be boring on my lonesome) but it's a long journey from iringa to zanzibar....like 9 hours plus a ferry and I'm not sure it'll be worth travelling that far just for a weekend?

That's great, i think it's good just working for a bit too, which is what i'll be doing after. Wow, dude, I've always wanted to go backpacking and I'm impressed that you're looking to do it! You do only live once, so i say go for it! Money is my problem :'(
I'm hoping to volunteer with the ICS next summer though and yeah, just relax and have a nice year out from education :biggrin:
Reply 21
Original post by HyperActiveBrain
Wow, where've you been working? Damn, that's annoying! It makes sense, and I think re-sits show that you are determined and that you aren't just going to give up..so good luck!
I know! Also kinda nervous though seeing as I'm travelling on my own but mostly excited :biggrin: I'm going with turkish airlines and nope, i have one stop in Istanbul D: you planning on booking stuff soon?

So I'm guessing you're on a gap year, did you get offers last time? Where have you applied this year? How did your UKCAT go? Sorry, I'm full of questions! :smile:

Im a lifeguard:smile: boring but pays well for an 18 year old, so thats the only reason i do it. yeahh fingers crossed! we will see how things go!!
im ****ttttttting it. i will book the same flight as you (if you don't mind?) haha so then neither of us are going through istanbul on our own (just seen taken 2 which is set there so im just abit nervous, ahahah!) i have booked the gap medics thing, just not the flights yet.

no i didnt apply last year at all because i knew i wanted to do a gap year, so ive only just applied. and UKCAT was baaaad. 630. mehhhhh. luckily though my top 2 choices dont ask for it!! (leeds and plymouth/penninsula) :smile:) what about you?
Reply 22
i only think my ukcat is bad because 2 of my teachers told me it was. bastard. so apologies if either of you got lower then that! no offence intended!
Reply 23
Original post by mazE12
i only think my ukcat is bad because 2 of my teachers told me it was. bastard. so apologies if either of you got lower then that! no offence intended!

its definitely not bad, its average though, you will be fine :P. Btw leeds do look at the ukcat, its weighted 20%
Reply 24
Nice one! I got 620 last year and 662.5 this year, my QR really pulled me down D: i know my scores a bit meh but hopefully it'll be enough *fingers crosses*

ahhh yess! omg i was thinking the same about going to zanzibar, that maybe i could go for a weekend with people i meet there (it'd be boring on my lonesome) but it's a long journey from iringa to zanzibar....like 9 hours plus a ferry and I'm not sure it'll be worth travelling that far just for a weekend?

That's great, i think it's good just working for a bit too, which is what i'll be doing after. Wow, dude, I've always wanted to go backpacking and I'm impressed that you're looking to do it! You do only live once, so i say go for it! Money is my problem :'(
I'm hoping to volunteer with the ICS next summer though and yeah, just relax and have a nice year out from education :biggrin:

sweet score!, yeh its like 9 hour by coach.. or 20 minutes by plane that costs 50pound per journey !! :biggrin:
Original post by mazE12
Im a lifeguard:smile: boring but pays well for an 18 year old, so thats the only reason i do it. yeahh fingers crossed! we will see how things go!!
im ****ttttttting it. i will book the same flight as you (if you don't mind?) haha so then neither of us are going through istanbul on our own (just seen taken 2 which is set there so im just abit nervous, ahahah!) i have booked the gap medics thing, just not the flights yet.

no i didnt apply last year at all because i knew i wanted to do a gap year, so ive only just applied. and UKCAT was baaaad. 630. mehhhhh. luckily though my top 2 choices dont ask for it!! (leeds and plymouth/penninsula) :smile:) what about you?

Oh wow lifeguard's a pretty cool job! Dunno what you're on about ;D
Aha yeah! Omg that's such a good idea! I'm getting the one on nov. 9th at 11.10 in the morning, it reaches dar es salaam at 3.35 on Saturday morning. That'll be so good, cos there's a 2 hour wait and I was wondering how bored I was gonna get! Now, at least we'll be together :L
Do you live in Manchester then?

Yeah like polioz says, it's an above average score so not bad :wink: I got 620 last year, and upped it to 662.5 this year...I'm just hoping for good news XD I've applied to Cardiff, Leeds :smile: , st George London and Liverpool :smile:
Original post by Polioz
sweet score!, yeh its like 9 hour by coach.. or 20 minutes by plane that costs 50pound per journey !! :biggrin:

Thanks, you did pretty good yourself ;p oh, I didn't know you could get a plane....might do that. But isn't the airport (dar es salaam) 9 hours away, then the 20 minute flight? Or do you mean there's a closer airport?
Reply 27
Thanks, you did pretty good yourself ;p oh, I didn't know you could get a plane....might do that. But isn't the airport (dar es salaam) 9 hours away, then the 20 minute flight? Or do you mean there's a closer airport?

we take 9 hour coach to ingra or soemthing , then 20 mins by plane from there I think?
Hey, if you guys want to know anything. I went to Tanzania with Gap Medics this summer :biggrin:

It takes 9 hours to get from (and to) Iringa by coach and then it's either a short plane ride or an hour and a half on a ferry to Zanzibar (which was the most spectacular part of my trip there).

The only potential flight from Iringa to Dar is from the Ruaha air strip which is already about a two hours car ride away in the safari area and it then costs about £300 I believe and takes two hours. Honestly I'd say there's no point. The coach may be long and cramped but you get to drive through some of the most amazing places you've ever seen including a national park where you can see plenty of animals.
Reply 29
Hey, I went to Tanzania for 2 weeks with gapmedics too.
I enjoyed my time there, but I felt that if I had looked around and done some research I might have been able to find something better.
The work placements at the hospitals were great, seeing the patients and everything was so interesting. The accommodation and food was good, and the organizers were lovely.
What I didn't like was how it essentially felt like bringing a bit of teenage England to this poor community. The results of stuffing a load of 17 year-olds (mostly, there were some older too) in a house together for a few weeks meant there was a LOT of drama which isn't really what I signed up for.
Everything is very structured and there's not much scope for exploring on your own. Also it is VERY expensive, and having been looking at similar types of placements for my gap year, found that I was probably ripped off.
If you do go, go for about 3 weeks, 2 weeks felt too short and more than 2 weeks apparently felt too long.
Also, you don't need to bring gloves and stuff because so many people have left their boxes behind that you just use those.
If you make good friends while you're there and try hard to get the most out of your placement it could be really fun, but a lot of people seemed to treat it as an expensive, extended party...
Any questions message me :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by gemmabug
Hey, I went to Tanzania for 2 weeks with gapmedics too.
I enjoyed my time there, but I felt that if I had looked around and done some research I might have been able to find something better.
The work placements at the hospitals were great, seeing the patients and everything was so interesting. The accommodation and food was good, and the organizers were lovely.
What I didn't like was how it essentially felt like bringing a bit of teenage England to this poor community. The results of stuffing a load of 17 year-olds (mostly, there were some older too) in a house together for a few weeks meant there was a LOT of drama which isn't really what I signed up for.
Everything is very structured and there's not much scope for exploring on your own. Also it is VERY expensive, and having been looking at similar types of placements for my gap year, found that I was probably ripped off.
If you do go, go for about 3 weeks, 2 weeks felt too short and more than 2 weeks apparently felt too long.
Also, you don't need to bring gloves and stuff because so many people have left their boxes behind that you just use those.
If you make good friends while you're there and try hard to get the most out of your placement it could be really fun, but a lot of people seemed to treat it as an expensive, extended party...
Any questions message me :smile:

Hey there, I dont know why you got negs for giving your opinion ...

Yeah can you tell me more about the people there, as in the kids and students like us? what do you mean by drama and an extended party etc? :smile:

Msg me please I have loads more questions :biggrin:
Original post by Polioz
Hey there, I dont know why you got negs for giving your opinion ...

Yeah can you tell me more about the people there, as in the kids and students like us? what do you mean by drama and an extended party etc? :smile:

Msg me please I have loads more questions :biggrin:

I'm not gemmabug but I can tell you my experience of it!

I found the kids and students to be such (excuse the cheesiness) kindred spirits. I made so many friends. I felt that some people were a little immature and loud all the time but I think that happens usually with all the new people in the first week!

I heard a lot of drama from the week before I got there and some whilst I was there. There's a club night every Thursday in the local time and being such young virile people....some tend to hook up... leading to all kinds of drama and crushes and gossip.
Reply 32
Original post by EMassey
I'm not gemmabug but I can tell you my experience of it!

I found the kids and students to be such (excuse the cheesiness) kindred spirits. I made so many friends. I felt that some people were a little immature and loud all the time but I think that happens usually with all the new people in the first week!

I heard a lot of drama from the week before I got there and some whilst I was there. There's a club night every Thursday in the local time and being such young virile people....some tend to hook up... leading to all kinds of drama and crushes and gossip.

Lol I was really not expecting that, are people treating this like a clubbing holiday ? ;p But I am releived you said everyone was pretty much nice :biggrin:

How old were most ppl and where about was everyone from?

Did you go safari btw

Also whats the ratio of guys to girls ? it seems like its 95% girls from the pics I have seen

When did you go? I am heading off January 5th which means everyone there will be from australia or new zealand etc because its their summer holi
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by Polioz
Lol I was really not expecting that, are people treating this like a clubbing holiday ? ;p But I am releived you said everyone was pretty much nice :biggrin:

Did you go safari btw

Also whats the ratio of guys to girls ? it seems like its 95% girls from the pics I have seen

When did you go? I am heading off January 5th which means everyone there will be from australia or new zealand etc because its their summer holi

hey i also went to tanzania in summer and no they don't treat it like a clubbing holiday! :tongue: the only thing is getting up for friday placements was certainly a struggle! but honestly it was one of the best ways to talk to other people! i made some amazing friends while i was out there and even some people i met ended up going out and they are still together!
safari was awesome definitely go on safari!!
how long you planning on going for by the way? I went for 2 weeks but i think 3 weeks would have been perfect! :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by amy37
hey i also went to tanzania in summer and no they don't treat it like a clubbing holiday! :tongue: the only thing is getting up for friday placements was certainly a struggle! but honestly it was one of the best ways to talk to other people! i made some amazing friends while i was out there and even some people i met ended up going out and they are still together!
safari was awesome definitely go on safari!!
how long you planning on going for by the way? I went for 2 weeks but i think 3 weeks would have been perfect! :smile:

Sounds awesome. Yeah did loads of other people go safari as well ? Im thinking of booking Safari in a few days once my paycheck comes through :smile:

Yeah I am going for 2 weeks in Janaury I am so excited :biggrin:
Original post by Polioz

Did you go safari btw

Most people were about 17 and mostly the UK but from all over the world really: American, Australian, Kenya, China I think as well...

I did go on safari and I can honestly say that it was probably the most amazing experience of my life.

It is definitely more girls than boys! But there is always a group of boys around :smile:

I went at the beginning of the English summer holidays from 14th July to August 5th (3 weeks).

Most people have no idea there is a club in the town let alone that we go there!! So no, it's definitely not treated like a clubbing holiday. People definitely look forward to the club night though :smile: it is a good time :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by Polioz
Sounds awesome. Yeah did loads of other people go safari as well ? Im thinking of booking Safari in a few days once my paycheck comes through :smile:

Yeah I am going for 2 weeks in Janaury I am so excited :biggrin:

most of the people who i came with went on safari! :smile: if not you can still convince people to come with you while you're out there! and most of the people were 17-18 while i was out there but i went at the beginning of the summer holidays so yeah that's probably why..
Reply 37
Original post by amy37
most of the people who i came with went on safari! :smile: if not you can still convince people to come with you while you're out there! and most of the people were 17-18 while i was out there but i went at the beginning of the summer holidays so yeah that's probably why..

do you mean people from the placement came with you or did you go tanzania with your own friends? I am going alone :biggrin:
Reply 38
Original post by Polioz
do you mean people from the placement came with you or did you go tanzania with your own friends? I am going alone :biggrin:

no i went alone but you make so many friends really quickly out there! :smile: especially sitting with someone on the coach for 10 hours, i ended up falling asleep on the person next to me :') haha
Original post by amy37
no i went alone but you make so many friends really quickly out there! :smile: especially sitting with someone on the coach for 10 hours, i ended up falling asleep on the person next to me :') haha

I second this! I still talk to some of the people I met out there.

You mostly make friends with the people who come the same week as you.

Quick Reply

Latest