The Student Room Group

How to stop sucking my thumb...

Ive been sucking my thumb since a toddler when my mum removed my dummy. My tongue even ripples like a baby when sucking!

I only do it when I'm relaxed and not in public

ie watchin TV and going to sleep.
I haven't got goofy teeth thankgod, they must be strong
but I'm worried if that if I keep on doing it..years to come when I'm In my mid twenties there going to start and goof a bit.

Its late and I'm sat in bed deciding if I should put socks on my hands...
but the craving for my thumb is what I imagine the craving for a cigarette is like. Very stong!

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Put something you don't like the taste of on your thumb before bed? Obviously wash it in the morning but it might break the habit :P
Gloves/socks could work too, I guess you've just got to try out a few things.

I used to suck my thumb but forced myself to stop and 8, but I have no memory of how I did so I can't really help, sorry :frown:
Reply 2
Hmmm i've never heard of this habit before...how old are you? I suggest you try to like substitute your thumbs with other stuff like a loli pop or something...Try to keep your mouth busy when you crave or when you feel lile sucking your thumb...then eventually the habit should go off....i might be wrong though...lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it possible to buy some disgusting tasting stuff that comes in a sponge in a pot to stick your thumb in from chemists (it's generally sold as something to stop nail biting, but works perfectly well for thumb sucking as well). Or if you want to save the money maybe you could mix up a similar concoction from whatever you've got in the kitchen...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
Oh my gosh. I am in the exact same situation as you. Ive been sucking my thumb since i was in the womb though. Unfortunately, the addictive habit made me teeth crooked, but I've had braces and they are straight now. Before my braces came off. I stopped sucking my thumb for about 8/9 months. And then as soon as they came off, I went straight back to the habit.
I'm in the process of stopping this habit - in the past, I've used techniques such as distracting myself, putting a plaster on it, using my mind to deter myself. It's not easy though :'(.
But I recommend you stopping it, cus if it does start to move your teeth, they get messed up bad, and it could cost a lot to get it fixed, due to a massive overbite and something called negative pressure causing your bottom teeth to get lean backwards (when the bottom of your thumb would be)

Oh, and good luck my friend. I have complete compassion and understanding for you I this difficult situation lool xD
Reply 5
Think about the intestinal worms that would have developed inside you from all the germs you are ingesting. :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by sunflower404
Ive been sucking my thumb since a toddler when my mum removed my dummy. My tongue even ripples like a baby when sucking!

I only do it when I'm relaxed and not in public

ie watchin TV and going to sleep.
I haven't got goofy teeth thankgod, they must be strong
but I'm worried if that if I keep on doing it..years to come when I'm In my mid twenties there going to start and goof a bit.

Its late and I'm sat in bed deciding if I should put socks on my hands...
but the craving for my thumb is what I imagine the craving for a cigarette is like. Very stong!

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Maybe start sucking things other than your thumb (which are difficult to get hold off - so not your finger, for example).

If you stop sucking your thumb straight away you may feel quite painful withdrawal symptoms, so suck on things (e.g. lollipop) which are not attached to your body.

Gradually your urge to suck your thumb will decrease.
Reply 7
put your thumb in someplace filthy, or rub something that tastes bad on it. Humans area quite adaptable, if you really want to fix this habit, I think you can do it
Reply 8
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
suck a dick instead

Knew there was going to be one....
Reply 9
Original post by JoeCa
That would actually work

Spoke from experience ? Good for you m8
Reply 10
you can get stuff that you put on fingers/nails that's foul-tasting- for people who can't stop biting their nails.

Alternatively, theirs excrement.
Reply 11
Original post by xiyangliu
Spoke from experience ? Good for you m8

Yeahh I have had a lot of experience

Reply 12
Paint a picture of Simon Cowell on your thumbnail
Reply 13
I have a solution. Mentally imagine yourself preventing yourself from sucking your finger. Then you'll have physical and mental powers together. And then just do it. Stop everytime you try such your finger. Repeat. Repeat. If that won't help, punish yourself somehow: don't eat that treat or ask your parents to forbid something you love to do. That will work. Your mental+physical powers + parents help = WIN! Don't cheat on what I have written and you'll drop harmful habits. Also, do this for 30 days. It's a time frame when new habit is formed whatever you want to do: start running, drop smoking and similar...
Hello i suck mt thumb and i am 12 i really want to stop but it is so hard i suck my thumb when i am watching tv or when i am going to bed if i wear a sock i just take it off and i put nail posh on and i still sucked my thumb and if i don't suck my thumb when i am going to bed i wont sleep really want to stop so can anyone help me please thank you :smile:
Reply 15
Stick your thumb in a poop. I'm sure you wouldn't want to suck it again :smile:
I suck mine when im watching a film etc
You can get a special gel that doesn't taste nice to put on it to prevent you from doing it :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spun29
Hmmm i've never heard of this habit before...how old are you? I suggest you try to like substitute your thumbs with other stuff like a loli pop or something...Try to keep your mouth busy when you crave or when you feel lile sucking your thumb...then eventually the habit should go off....i might be wrong though...lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

This habit is fairly common actually, even in adults. It's one of the reasons people have teeth stick out due to the thumb pushing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
OP:
Get those things from Boots/or anywhere which make your nails taste disgusting.
Or, you could chew gum as an alternative if your a girl if you put lipstick too it might prevent you from sucking your thumb :biggrin:
You could also just put socks on your hands and when your sleeping get those eye masks thingys and put it over your mouth :ninja:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have it amputated ... 100% guaranteed you'll never suck it again.

Latest

Trending

Trending