The Student Room Group

The importance of Maths in Pharmacy??

Hello all,

I was just reading up on Pharmacy degrees and it seems that some uni's put more emphasis on mathematical skills more than others. So, I wanted to know, is a maths a-level very important to have when applying for Pharmacy?
I didnt do maths for a-level, i did Chemistry, Biology, Psychology, French.
However, I am in year 12 and I'm thinking of dropping psychology at the end of this year and maybe taking maths. I got a B at GCSE.

Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I wouldnt say so really. As long as you can do the calculations that are involved in Biology and Chemistry, you will be fine. Doing maths at a level would obviously be a big help. But it is not absolutely essential.
Reply 2
Thank you very much :biggrin:
I think I'll take it next year as an extra AS though, to boost my chances.
Reply 3
Kool Kool gd luck with yur application, where were u thinkin of applying?
Reply 4
Erm... I was looking at Nottingham and KCL.
Reply 5
KieranKelly

you dont need maths, i think the only uni that says they prefer it to AS is KCL but even then im sure they gave alot of people offers who have only done Maths at GCSE
Reply 6
KieranKelly
Hello all,

I was just reading up on Pharmacy degrees and it seems that some uni's put more emphasis on mathematical skills more than others. So, I wanted to know, is a maths a-level very important to have when applying for Pharmacy?
I didnt do maths for a-level, i did Chemistry, Biology, Psychology, French.
However, I am in year 12 and I'm thinking of dropping psychology at the end of this year and maybe taking maths. I got a B at GCSE.

Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place.

Umm, well at my uni we have a six months mathematics and statistics module , with a pass mark of 50% overall...to make sure that everyone is at the same standard.

Tbh I don't think you need it at all to A2, but AS will be quite handy...

Good luck!
Reply 7
petzneo
Umm, well at my uni we have a six months mathematics and statistics module , with a pass mark of 50% overall...to make sure that everyone is at the same standard.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice :biggrin:
What uni do you go to?
Reply 8
KieranKelly
Thanks for the advice :biggrin:
What uni do you go to?

ah, thats ok. Brighton University :smile:
Reply 9
petzneo

Good luck!

I could tell from that that you were likely at Brighton!

Most Unis only expect a GSCE grade in math of C or higher. You will be challenged at Uni, but the mathematics is not designed to be much beyond GCSE to AS level and any good University will bring you up to scratch in year 1.
If you worry about pharmacy level calculations, try some study aids. I like 'An Introduction to Pharmaceutical Calculations - J. Rees'
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=m3pkQP9ep7cC&dq=Introduction+to+Pharmaceutical+Calculations&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=E17ZSa6xG8WOjAeJjIGWDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5
We had a maths and stats module in first year, didnt really bother going to it and managed to pass the exam with about 55% or something. The maths was mostly differentiation and integration which, to be honest, I've not used since.
We also had a short exam with a 70% pass rate to make sure we could do unit conversions properly, and a more complicated pharmacokinetics one using a ******** of equations (all given in the exam on a formula sheet) with an 80% pass rate. It's mostly stuff to make sure you're competent enough to not kill a patient by giving them too much chloroform water or whatever.
Reply 11
Miss_Alice
I could tell from that that you were likely at Brighton!

Most Unis only expect a GSCE grade in math of C or higher. You will be challenged at Uni, but the mathematics is not designed to be much beyond GCSE to AS level and any good University will bring you up to scratch in year 1.
If you worry about pharmacy level calculations, try some study aids. I like 'An Introduction to Pharmaceutical Calculations - J. Rees'
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=m3pkQP9ep7cC&dq=Introduction+to+Pharmaceutical+Calculations&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=E17ZSa6xG8WOjAeJjIGWDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5

Woop, finally another pharmacy student from brighton uni!
What year are you in?
I wouldn't suggest taking Maths AS along with your other 3 A levels in year 13. The work load will just be too much and it may affect your performance in your other 3 subjects.

If you look at the requirements for all the Pharmacy schools none of them really specify Maths AS level, apart from maybe Kings although as said before they have given out offers to people who only did it up to GCSE. (Take into account that Kings pharmacy school isn't one of the best tbh)

Your chances seem good :smile:
Reply 13
Lulu*et*Moi
I wouldn't suggest taking Maths AS along with your other 3 A levels in year 13. The work load will just be too much and it may affect your performance in your other 3 subjects.

If you look at the requirements for all the Pharmacy schools none of them really specify Maths AS level, apart from maybe Kings although as said before they have given out offers to people who only did it up to GCSE. (Take into account that Kings pharmacy school isn't one of the best tbh)

Completely irrelevant, but I think that is the first time I have seen another TSR member say that Kings Pharmacy is not that great...hmm I think its all in the name tbh...haha even Brighton is higher up in the guardian table than Kings :wink:
Reply 14
Lulu*et*Moi

i see you put cardiff as ur firm !:P
soul02
i see you put cardiff as ur firm !:P

:biggrin:
Reply 16
Lulu*et*Moi
:biggrin:

:smile:
yay x
I am considering pharmacy and need some advice on the course structure and what it involves, e.g. does it involve teaching you the social skills etc for when you do become a pharmacist and also giving some vaccines for when people are to go on a holiday. king's college sounds really good. REPLY ASAP PLEASE
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by RevisionNad
I am considering pharmacy and need some advice on the course structure and what it involves, e.g. does it involve teaching you the social skills etc for when you do become a pharmacist and also giving some vaccines for when people are to go on a holiday. king's college sounds really good. REPLY ASAP PLEASE

Yes it does involve improving social skills etc and as for travel vaccines I am unsure. I am about to start second year. Message me if you have any questions
If I remember correctly, Nottingham want an A for GCSE maths.

Original post by KieranKelly

You might wanna check with them, because if you have a B in GCSE maths, then they won't consider you :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending