The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by futureengineer15
As a student applying from the USA for engineering, do I fulfill the entrance requirements?
1. "Top one or two percent"- how is this determined? Despite earning straight As in all my classes, all of which are honors classes, my class rank is actually around 4 percent because I refused to "play the game" and replace choir and tennis (worth 4/4 points) with many unnecessary PreAP courses (worth 5/4 points) to ensure a higher weighted GPA. If the ranking was done according to unweighted GPA, I'd easily be in the top percentiles, but my school does not calculate or report that rank.
2. SAT II scores: 800 in Math II, >700 for both Chemistry and Physics
3. AP scores: what counts as "appropriate subjects"? Due to scheduling conflicts, I have been unable to take any AP science courses so far, but am taking the equivalent of Physics 1 (Mechanics) but without the opportunity to take the test (due to College Board's revision of the AP Physics B curriculum), and will take Physics 2 (Electricity and Magnetism), Chemistry, and Statistics next year. In addition, I am attempting to take Physics C and, if it isn't offered next year (as seems likely), will likely self-study. This year I am taking BC Calculus, and I have many 5s on humanities tests and am taking several more.
4. SAT: what counts as a "high pass"? Due to excellent PSAT scores, I expect to do very well.
5. Related Extracurriculars: As well as founding a robotics team, I will complete an engineering internship over the next year. I have also been taking several university introductory classes online, including Computer Science, Biology, Solid-State Chemistry, and Mechanics (without a method of obtaining proof of completion, unfortunately) and doing a lot of reading. I also tutor science and math of all levels.

If I do receive an offer, what conditions would typically apply to someone in my position?
Thank you so much for your help!

1) The 'top 1 or 2 per cent' is a guide rather than a demand, it is not something to worry too much about if one is achieving highly.

2) Those are decent SAT II scores, similar to the level we would normally see from the US, though the closer the Chemistry and Physcis are to 800 the better obviously.

3) Science subjects. We wouldn;t consider performance in Arts & Humanities subjects for an Engineering applicant. The more difficult Maths and Physics that you can do the better.

4) We do not pay a massive amount of attention to the standard SAT, with much more emphasis on SAT IIs and APs.

5) They all seem good super-curricular activities.

Usually the offer for Amercian students is 5 '5's in relevant APs.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Hi there, I am not sure what you are asking? People apply every year with grades already in hand. We would see these and take them and the rest of your application (including the interview) into account when making our decision.

Hi, sorry, I thought that was written a bit confusing :colondollar:. I meant that I would receive my grades and OP after I apply but before interviews. Do you mean that when my finals grades come through they would go automatically onto UCAS and application despite having already applied? Sorry this is all probably very unclear.
Original post by ScienceGeek!
Hi

I saw the other day that you were able to tell someone how many applicants for a certain subject had over the UMS pooling criteria of 93%.

If possible do you know how many economics applicants have over 93% and are thus automatically pooled?

Thank you, this thread has been great!

Last year 229 Economics applicants taking A Levels had a best three average of 93 per cent or above. This was around 40 per cent of the total taking A Levels but nearly half of Economics applicants do not take A Levels (the highest proportion for any subject).
Original post by geodawson
Hi, sorry, I thought that was written a bit confusing :colondollar:. I meant that I would receive my grades and OP after I apply but before interviews. Do you mean that when my finals grades come through they would go automatically onto UCAS and application despite having already applied? Sorry this is all probably very unclear.

Ah right, I understand. UCAS does update universities automatically about results in some qualifications (mainly UK ones) but Australian results are not among these. You will therefore need to send us a transcript of your results as soon as you get them, i.e. before the interview if possible.
Last year 229 Economics applicants taking A Levels had a best three average of 93 per cent or above. This was around 40 per cent of the total taking A Levels but nearly half of Economics applicants do not take A Levels (the highest proportion for any subject).

Thank you very much!

Do you know how many economics applicants taking A Levels were successful? Assuming the rest are foreign qualifications do you reckon that the international pool of applicants is as diverse in ability than the domestic one?

Thanks
Reply 425
Hi, ill be applying to Imperial College as well as Cambridge next year for engineering. The Cambridge course is general for the first two years, but the Imperial one will not be (so I will apply for Mechanical or Aeronautical). In my personal statement, if I make it specific will I be hindering my chances of a cambridge place?
Reply 426
Hi, not sure if this has been asked before but would it be possible to attend a college open day and the uni open day on the same day? Or would I have to attend the college open day on the 3rd and the uni open day on the 4th?

Thanks
It certainly seems as if your GCSE and A Level profile is moving you in a science direction. Your GCSEs would be somewhat lower than that achieved by the average applicant for Cambridge and we would be looking for significant improvement at AS if you were thinking about applying to us.

Law is a subject that doesn't require specific subjects. it is reasonably unusual, however, for candidates not to have one essay-based subject in their A Level profile. The lack of one might concern universities somewhat simply because of the amount of essay writing that one needs to do in a Law course. That said, it is not impossible and, at Cambridge, your writing ability could be demonstrated by your performance in the Cambridge Law Test.

What about medicine?
Thank you

A reminder of my grade profile:

GCSE's:
Biology-A*
Physics-A*
ICT Higher- D*(distinction*)
Chemistry-A
Core science-A
Maths-A
English Lit-A
English lang-A
History-A
Electronics-A
Philosophy and Ethics-A

ICT BTEC QCF(self taught): Distinction*

AS-levelsall predicted A)
Physics(AS)
Chemistry(AS)
Maths(AS/A2 taken in yr12)
Further maths(AS/A2 taken in yr13)

Nb: i also plan to take AS biology in year 13...would this hinder my application?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ScienceGeek!
Thank you very much!

Do you know how many economics applicants taking A Levels were successful? Assuming the rest are foreign qualifications do you reckon that the international pool of applicants is as diverse in ability than the domestic one?

Thanks

It's not possible to evaluate that as easily as we do not have comparable data. Anecdotally, all I can say is that there is plenty of diversity in ability among overseas candidates for Economics, whether it's more or less than that for Home students, I couldn't say.
Original post by M1llward
Hi, ill be applying to Imperial College as well as Cambridge next year for engineering. The Cambridge course is general for the first two years, but the Imperial one will not be (so I will apply for Mechanical or Aeronautical). In my personal statement, if I make it specific will I be hindering my chances of a cambridge place?

No, you wouldn't hinder your chances. It's what we expect you to do, that's why the PS box on the SAQ is there, so you can talk about you can talk about your other choices freely in your UCAS PS and not have to tailor it to Cambridge.
Original post by megan97
Hi, not sure if this has been asked before but would it be possible to attend a college open day and the uni open day on the same day? Or would I have to attend the college open day on the 3rd and the uni open day on the 4th?

Thanks

Hello Megan, you can go to both on the same day. Lots of colleges will have a college open day in the morning and then be open for the rest of the day for everyone else and those who attended their open day can go and join in the rest of the University Open Day where there are programmes running until 4pm.
@admissionstutor
Basically i did horribly in GCSE's getting only two A's and the rest b's due to severe family problems which i can tell you in private message. But in AS i have taken maths further maths physics and chemistry. In my mocks i got 100 in maths and further maths and 95-100% in physics and chemistry. I also achieved a gold in the maths challenge and completed round 1 of the british mathematical olympiad. I want to apply for mathematics. Will tutors understand that my low gcse's were nothing to do with my ability. Also my low gcse'/s have led to no summer schools taking an application and no taster courses etc being available to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mutleybm1996
What about medicine?
Thank you

A reminder of my grade profile:

GCSE's:
Biology-A*
Physics-A*
ICT Higher- D*(distinction*)
Chemistry-A
Core science-A
Maths-A
English Lit-A
English lang-A
History-A
Electronics-A
Philosophy and Ethics-A

ICT BTEC QCF(self taught): Distinction*

AS-levelsall predicted A)
Physics(AS)
Chemistry(AS)
Maths(AS/A2 taken in yr12)
Further maths(AS/A2 taken in yr13)

Nb: i also plan to take AS biology in year 13...would this hinder my application?

This will give you an indication of the spread of Medicine candidates. It would be good to do AS Biology in Year 13 if you can if want to do Medicine. You are going to need to score very highly in your AS exams, however, to be in with a good shot of getting a place in Medicine at Cambridge.
Reply 433
Hi there,

I'm just about to complete an undergraduate degree in economics and I am interested in applying to Cambridge's masters course. However I'm intended of taking up a job offer and working in industry for 2/3 years. Will I still be able to apply on equal ground, down the line, if I am not coming straight from university studies?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by physicsmaths
@admissionstutor
Basically i did horribly in GCSE's getting only two A's and the rest b's due to severe family problems which i can tell you in private message. But in AS i have taken maths further maths physics and chemistry. In my mocks i got 100 in maths and further maths and 95-100% in physics and chemistry. I also achieved a gold in the maths challenge and completed round 1 of the british mathematical olympiad. I want to apply for mathematics. Will tutors understand that my low gcse's were nothing to do with my ability. Also my low gcse'/s have led to no summer schools taking an application and no taster courses etc being available to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your school should submit an extenuating circumstances form which will explain what happened during your GCSEs and that will help us place your results in the context of your circumstances. If you do as well in your AS exams as you have in your mocks then you will be a good candidate regardless of your GCSE results. Your participation in the maths challenge and the olympiad are good evidence of super curricular work so don't worry about summer schools.
Original post by js93
Hi there,

I'm just about to complete an undergraduate degree in economics and I am interested in applying to Cambridge's masters course. However I'm intended of taking up a job offer and working in industry for 2/3 years. Will I still be able to apply on equal ground, down the line, if I am not coming straight from university studies?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, lots of people come back to academia in Cambridge after being out of university in work for several years. As long as you do well in your undergaduate degree that is what will matter.
Hello.

I realise this probably isn't the purpose of the thread but I'm slightly stuck with regards to my application last year (the ongoing cycle). I applied to Jesus College, was pooled and eventually rejected. We were told feedback would be arriving by late Feb the latest, and we're now well into April and I've heard nothing whereas my friend who also applied to Jesus heard months ago. As the feedback goes through the school one is studying at, should I contact them and ask or should I get school to?

Thanks. I used this thread last year and it was immensely helpful, so I hope hopeful applicants make the most of it!
Original post by Endless Blue
Hello.

I realise this probably isn't the purpose of the thread but I'm slightly stuck with regards to my application last year (the ongoing cycle). I applied to Jesus College, was pooled and eventually rejected. We were told feedback would be arriving by late Feb the latest, and we're now well into April and I've heard nothing whereas my friend who also applied to Jesus heard months ago. As the feedback goes through the school one is studying at, should I contact them and ask or should I get school to?

Thanks. I used this thread last year and it was immensely helpful, so I hope hopeful applicants make the most of it!

Hi there, I am glad the thread was useful to you last year and sorry to hear that your application was unsuccessful. Sometimes the feedback letters get stuck in the system at school (we have had a copule like this this year), so I would ask Jesus. They can then tell you if they sent it to your school and, if they did, then you can ask the school to give it to you ior, if they didn't, then that will chivvy them along to send it.
Hello, I've noticed that on the website, further maths is useful for a economics undergraduate course. Will I be heavily disadvantaged in the application process if I do not take the subject? Many thanks in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blackdiamond97
Hello, I've noticed that on the website, further maths is useful for a economics undergraduate course. Will I be heavily disadvantaged in the application process if I do not take the subject? Many thanks in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths is such an integral part of the Cambridge economics course that we encoruage students to take as much Maths as they can before they come. Plenty of people get in each year, however, without having done FM.

How disdavtaged you might be depends on how good at Maths you are. If you are strong at Maths and do very well in A Level Maths then not having FM will not be a problem. If you didn;t do FM because you didn't think you were going to do well in it then your Maths might not be strong enough for this course and that would put you at a disadvantage. I hope that sort of makes sense?

Latest

Trending

Trending