The Student Room Group

Passing numerical and verbal reasoning tests!

Can someone recommend a good (and preferably, but not essentially, free) source where there are practice questions for such tests? The kind of tests that you get on graduate job on-line tests and stuff. Thanks
Original post by music788
Can someone recommend a good (and preferably, but not essentially, free) source where there are practice questions for such tests? The kind of tests that you get on graduate job on-line tests and stuff. Thanks

Try SHL, you have to register your details but it's all free.

http://www.shldirect.com/practice_tests.html
Reply 2
Original post by dudleyian
Try SHL, you have to register your details but it's all free.

http://www.shldirect.com/practice_tests.html

Just what I was after. Thank you
Original post by music788

Jobtestprep have both free and paid for material or try your university careers service.

I just have to say, that I've looked at numericaltesthelp and did their practice test, and it was fairly simple. Scored 16/20 without really breaking much of a sweat and answered all the questions. I think that's highly unrealistic considering that in most of the SHL tests I have done, I ran out of time and answered about 15 questions out of 20.

Assessment Day pretty much paints the same picture. I've been looking through their example questions/answers and they're pretty simple. By simple, I mean that there's usually a question about percentages and you get the exact answer.

In ACTUAL SHL tests, I normally end up with an answer that looks roughly similar, eg I obtain 675.334582 and the options are:

a) 552.78
b) 850.35
c) 678.56
d) 320.22
e) 438.91

Now in this scenario, I'd probably pick c, but I'd be so annoyed at the fact that it's not even the same general area... 675 and 678 are so off that I'd think that I'd made a mistake. Now, I don't know whether I got that right or wrong, but giving me an easy question where I obtain 675.334582 on my calculator and where my options are

a) 952.78
b) 150.35
c) 675.33
d) 20.21
e) Don't know.

Then CLEARLY the answer has to be c. However, it's a ridiculously simple question and real tests are nothing like that.

Sorry, just wanted to rant about the lack of practice facilities. The 10 minute practice before the actual test has harder questions than Assessment Day/Numericaltesthelp.

If anyone can point to anywhere that gives us questions that are actually like the SHL tests for finance/analytical grad schemes I'd appreciate it.
yeah, i know that feeling, you feeling all confident and then you get to the actual exam questions, you feel like you dont have enough time and they ask questions that requires you to convert two or three times to get the answer or distance, time, speed questions. it sucks.
Reply 7
the numerical shl tests just take practise, I pass them pretty easily now, but the verbals are a whole different story. Anyone got any advice for the verbals?
Original post by Astudentinneed
yeah, i know that feeling, you feeling all confident and then you get to the actual exam questions, you feel like you dont have enough time and they ask questions that requires you to convert two or three times to get the answer or distance, time, speed questions. it sucks.

I just tried one for one job application which was 36 questions (9 statements) in 25 mins. I noticed I only had 10 minutes left at just under half way. I am confident on my first half but I really had to push to get the others done (a couple were first instinct as I did not have time to double check).
Reply 9
Original post by wanderlust.xx
I just have to say, that I've looked at numericaltesthelp and did their practice test, and it was fairly simple. Scored 16/20 without really breaking much of a sweat and answered all the questions. I think that's highly unrealistic considering that in most of the SHL tests I have done, I ran out of time and answered about 15 questions out of 20.

Assessment Day pretty much paints the same picture. I've been looking through their example questions/answers and they're pretty simple. By simple, I mean that there's usually a question about percentages and you get the exact answer.

In ACTUAL SHL tests, I normally end up with an answer that looks roughly similar, eg I obtain 675.334582 and the options are:

a) 552.78
b) 850.35
c) 678.56
d) 320.22
e) 438.91

Now in this scenario, I'd probably pick c, but I'd be so annoyed at the fact that it's not even the same general area... 675 and 678 are so off that I'd think that I'd made a mistake. Now, I don't know whether I got that right or wrong, but giving me an easy question where I obtain 675.334582 on my calculator and where my options are

a) 952.78
b) 150.35
c) 675.33
d) 20.21
e) Don't know.

Then CLEARLY the answer has to be c. However, it's a ridiculously simple question and real tests are nothing like that.

Sorry, just wanted to rant about the lack of practice facilities. The 10 minute practice before the actual test has harder questions than Assessment Day/Numericaltesthelp.

If anyone can point to anywhere that gives us questions that are actually like the SHL tests for finance/analytical grad schemes I'd appreciate it.

Are you permitted to use a calculator on those tests?
FREE SHL and Kenexa numerical test TUTORIAL SAMPLES can be downloaded here: graduatemonkey dot com
SHL test has two formats for graduate applicants. One consists of 21 questions to be answered in 21 minutes. The other is easier consisting of 18 questions to be answered in 25 minutes. The former is used by investment banks while the latter is used by finance, marketing, consulting businesses.
Kenexa PSL numerical test format is typically 20/20 i.e. 20 questions and 20 minutes. It typically involves fewer calculations. Even the seemingly hard questions have shortcut answers. The Kenexa test tutorial covers them in detail.

I never had problem with time as I know the context of test questions. And that is more important than being a math genius. PhDs and engineers fail these tests time and again. The key is to prepare in a structured way. The solution is here. Once you go through the entire tutorial, you will have mastered 90% of the test question types and most importantly the DATA CONTEXT that you will encounter on the real test.
graduatemonkey dot com
Original post by wanderlust.xx

a) 552.78
b) 850.35
c) 678.56
d) 320.22
e) 438.91

a) 952.78
b) 150.35
c) 675.33
d) 20.21
e) Don't know.

You were not along. You try to get things right and get stuck on 1-2 questions, start panicking and mess things up...How did you get on with your applications? do you feel like getting through not all questions (say 17 out of 20) is a almost certainly a non-pass?
You were not along. You try to get things right and get stuck on 1-2 questions, start panicking and mess things up...How did you get on with your applications? do you feel that not getting through all questions (say 17 out of 20) is a very high chance of a fail?
Sir you replied to an old thread
Original post by ASunnyStudent
You were not along. You try to get things right and get stuck on 1-2 questions, start panicking and mess things up...How did you get on with your applications? do you feel like getting through not all questions (say 17 out of 20) is a almost certainly a non-pass?

I posted that over a year and a half ago. I realise that you posted this around a week ago, but I feel obliged to reply since I can relate to your situation.

In short, I can now pass all SHL tests that come my way with over 90% certainty, completely down to practising on Assessment Day and really understanding what the numbers actually mean.

In answer to your question, no - answering <100% of the questions will not mean you've failed. You're assessed on a) accuracy and then b) speed. Some sort of formula is then used to calculate your percentile ranking against a uniform distribution of a random sample of candidates that took the same test as you for the same job role. This percentile is used as a part of the interview, not your individual accuracy or speed scores.

To put this in perspective, I once answered 16/18 questions on an SHL test (the ones that allow 24 mins), and still got 96% as a percentile score. I know my percentile score because I got the job and my employer showed me my results screen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending