The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by crazylemon
Ugh. One of the many reasons I haven't been to our medic bar in 3 years. Quite frankly I hate that aspect of med student culture and now they have the nerve to think they will get money off me on a yearly basis. **** that. I know what that money tends to go on and it isn't anything I want to support. Cancelling as soon as Dr day is over. They won't get a penny out of me.

I am aware that this make me sound incredibly bitter, but I personally prefer the non medics at my uni. Less obsessed with stupid traditions and don't feel booze has to be the be all and end all.

No I completely agree, I've loved being home with my non medic friends, most of them don't go to uni. Don't get me wrong the medics I go out with are nice too, it's just when medsoc hosts a social so you have to put up with the morons I previously described. Good grief some of them wouldn't last five minutes in some of the pubs where I'm from without aggravating someone. I'm all for a big night out but there's need to tell me that you were 'SOOOOO DROOONK LARST NIGHT' after your 4 cans of fosters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gozatron
Each to their own I suppose, the whole 'traditions' and work hard/play hard among medics is a massive plus for me. Obviously i'd never want to impose it on anyone that doesn't want it. I really find it such a good release to get a bit loose, detracts from the walking on eggshells type experience i have at hospital everyday...

Oh no I love to let loose, I just don't like being told how to enjoy my night and how to drink all night, accompanied with the usual **** banter. I like most of the people on my course, I'm talking about a minority really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thats fine, my beef is the is all the medic SU seems to be able to do. If you don't like that sort of thing they don't have much to offer you.
Which is why I don't feel represented by them and then get a little pissed off when they complain that soooo many people in the year don't go to their super awesome events.
Or, alternatively they pick a stupidly expensive venue that means it is gonna be £70 a ticket. Ugh, no thanks that is a weekend of diving!

HA
I can't talk on the lasting in pubs then. As a posh southerner who asked for a G&T I doubt I would do much better :p:

Hahaha no that would be fine, a few people would take the piss out of your accent but not in a serious way :P more the people with the superiority complex that wouldn't last

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh I know the type you mean.

Also I think my southerner accent might be broken. Several people have asked me if I am an Ozzy. This is normally Australians or people who have worked there for a few years. Which is a bit odd...
I mean I say no worries but that is about the only thing I can think of

Is no worries an Australian thing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abbieastoria
I'm desperate to have kids, even the fact I have to wait another 4 years is painful, me and my partner will have ren together 10 years at that point so I'll just take each day as it comes but I'm definitely planning some sort of break in education as soon as possible to have a child, it's just deciding when the best time would be. But they say there's no good time to have children so I guess it doesn't really matter when I have them, as long as I'm out of medical school I'm sure I'll cope

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, I get the baby-crazy feeling, it's been driving me nuts for a couple of years now, but I have been very cautious about my career and wanted to be more secure before thinking about trying (wasn't sure I'd be a strong candidate for ST3 if I had been on mat leave and was LTFT, though I know people do get jobs in that position!) I do fear for our rota co-ordinators though, because I know I am not the only one in my job with this mindset...

I don't think there's any point in planning a year out - how would that work exactly? You'd start TTC at the exact point in FY1 which would enable you to complete the year before going on mat leave? You might get lucky, and it might work out, but it doesn't happen immediately for plenty of people, and miscarriage/ectopic is commoner than many think. And I can't imagine trying to do FY1 while heavily pregnant is much fun.

I would just start TTC when you are ready to have a child, but don't hold up your career plans for it - if ST applications open up while you're trying, still go for them, rather than potentially being unemployed at the end of FY2. It will require compromise and sacrifice, but people do manage it.

crazylemon
Sad in some respects. I don't mourn the loss of 'down it fresher' though. Just that each year it gets harder to get people to do non med activities.

Oh yes, I think that's the real issue, and was only being semi-serious. I don't think the banning of certain medic/uni-based alcoholic institutions is necessarily a bad thing. But I do think it's sad if people won't have a drink with their mates or be thinking about enjoying Freshers because they're worried about exams already.
Well that depends on you goals. London I agree no feasible but I am increasingly disillusioned with London.

I depends what you want. No you are not going to be able to buy the 4 bed in a nice area. But I really don't need that. I don't have any expensive vices and cannot see the appeal of a fancy car or most consumer goods. Really rather content with my current quality of life where I spend about 10k a year and that includes stupid london rent taking up over half of it.

Personally the freedom to do what I want has far more appeal.

I agree. 10K is luxury. And if you have a like-minded partner you can share stuff with its gets even lower per person.

I think the problem comes when you start having to think about providing for children...
Just got my timetable for Year 2. Looks like the 11am lie-ins of Year 1 are (largely) a thing of the past. Still, at least we have 3 two hour sessions of life sciences rather than two three hours sessions, which were just long.
Well that depends on you goals. London I agree no feasible but I am increasingly disillusioned with London.

I depends what you want. No you are not going to be able to buy the 4 bed in a nice area. But I really don't need that. I don't have any expensive vices and cannot see the appeal of a fancy car or most consumer goods. Really rather content with my current quality of life where I spend about 10k a year and that includes stupid london rent taking up over half of it.

Personally the freedom to do what I want has far more appeal.

I'd posit that one's financial status plays a sizeable role in exactly that.
and onto third year! since when was freshers week so... tiring? was discussing this with my friend last night, that the older you get (in terms of uni years rather than actual age), the less exciting freshers week becomes. i was just excited to be reunited with all my friends and settle back in for another year, rather than the prospect of a week of drinking and partying. that being said, we're seeing Jon Richardson this evening, which should be a laugh.

our timetable this semester looks fairly intimidating, i swear we have more lectures per week now than we ever have before - and st andrews only has 1 medical lecture theatre so i don't really understand how they've managed to timetable us for so many lectures! the mind boggles.
Original post by Team_McDreamy
and onto third year! since when was freshers week so... tiring? was discussing this with my friend last night, that the older you get (in terms of uni years rather than actual age), the less exciting freshers week becomes. i was just excited to be reunited with all my friends and settle back in for another year, rather than the prospect of a week of drinking and partying. that being said, we're seeing Jon Richardson this evening, which should be a laugh.

our timetable this semester looks fairly intimidating, i swear we have more lectures per week now than we ever have before - and st andrews only has 1 medical lecture theatre so i don't really understand how they've managed to timetable us for so many lectures! the mind boggles.

Ahhhh I'm so jealous jon richardson is my fave comedian, I'm absolutely in love with him haha but i can't make any of his your dates this year :frown:

My third year time table is 7am-2pm Monday-Saturday and then group reps have to arrange some tutorials from 2-5 on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday :frown:

The thought of getting up at 6am to make it to hospital for 7 makes me feel Ill haha, I'm really not a morning person :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahhhh I'm so jealous jon richardson is my fave comedian, I'm absolutely in love with him haha but i can't make any of his your dates this year :frown:

My third year time table is 7am-2pm Monday-Saturday and then group reps have to arrange some tutorials from 2-5 on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday :frown:

The thought of getting up at 6am to make it to hospital for 7 makes me feel Ill haha, I'm really not a morning person :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah i was so excited when i saw he was gonna be at our freshers week this year! actually more excited to see him than the headliner (scouting for girls) because his sense of humour is just amazing :biggrin:

ohhhh that sounds horrible!! :frown: we haven't moved into clinical years yet so we're still primarily based in the lecture theatre, although we are writing our dissertations next semester which is making me feel a little ill as well :tongue:
yeah i was so excited when i saw he was gonna be at our freshers week this year! actually more excited to see him than the headliner (scouting for girls) because his sense of humour is just amazing :biggrin:

ohhhh that sounds horrible!! :frown: we haven't moved into clinical years yet so we're still primarily based in the lecture theatre, although we are writing our dissertations next semester which is making me feel a little ill as well :tongue:

My uni is weird so we did our dissert in 2nd year I did mine on Thrombophilia during pregnancy, longest 10,000 words I've ever written. One persons tutor asked for 18,000 words off him, felt bad for him haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
My uni is weird so we did our dissert in 2nd year I did mine on Thrombophilia during pregnancy, longest 10,000 words I've ever written. One persons tutor asked for 18,000 words off him, felt bad for him haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

st andrews is weird too :tongue: technically i graduate this year with a BSc in Medicine, and then i move to manchester and graduate from there with the MBChB - so its technically not an intercalated degree because I'm not taking a year out of medicine. i have no idea what i'm doing mine on, we have a lecture in two weeks where we find out what we have to do to set it all up. all i know is that i'm 90% sure i want a lab based project and i'd quite like it to be genetics :smile:
st andrews is weird too :tongue: technically i graduate this year with a BSc in Medicine, and then i move to manchester and graduate from there with the MBChB - so its technically not an intercalated degree because I'm not taking a year out of medicine. i have no idea what i'm doing mine on, we have a lecture in two weeks where we find out what we have to do to set it all up. all i know is that i'm 90% sure i want a lab based project and i'd quite like it to be genetics :smile:

Genetics is really interesting, I'm especially interested in stuff like cystic fibrosis etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well yes obviously. But once the basics are there I don't think finding things to do needs to involve too much money. Obviously one is not going to be jet setting on 10k/yr but I don't think that is something I really want to do, air travel is massively environment destroying and so I would feel it rather irresponsible to travel all the time that way. Whereas working as crew on sailing ships/sailing itself is massively cheaper. Plus there is a hell of a lot that you can do in the UK for starters.

Oh absolutely. The trick is getting a like minded partner with that. Most people enjoy their 'creature comforts' far too much.

Children do make it harder, although I am not sure how much more expensive they will be if you manage to avoid the whole private education route. I must admit not something I have costed fully as I feel rather irrelevant to me.

I'm starting to think now I'd rather defer my entry to the foundation programme and take a gap year between 5th year and FY1 to have a child. Money is really of no object because my parents said myself and my husband could live with them until I have enough for a deposit on a house and my partner works and I will receive child tax credits etc. I've known people do it on far less money. It's just I don't want my knowledge to be rusty for starting foundation, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make

Posted from TSR Mobile
Genetics is really interesting, I'm especially interested in stuff like cystic fibrosis etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah, i'm a bit of a genetics nerd :colondollar: i did a nuffield bursary project on multiple sclerosis a couple of years ago which was so much fun too :smile:
First day of third year...
We left at 2 after a morning of tedious lectures
I came home and had a 2 hour nap and watched Netflix
Now off to the pub

If all of third year is like this after a year of hell, I can't wait!
I'm desperate to have kids, even the fact I have to wait another 4 years is painful, me and my partner will have ren together 10 years at that point so I'll just take each day as it comes but I'm definitely planning some sort of break in education as soon as possible to have a child, it's just deciding when the best time would be. But they say there's no good time to have children so I guess it doesn't really matter when I have them, as long as I'm out of medical school I'm sure I'll cope

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have friends who had children whilst at medical school. It definitely wasn't for me and i'm not suggesting it, but is that an option?

I've been broody to the point of distraction for years and nothing has changed that, but there is a reason the others are cautiously giving advice. I intercalated and lost a lot of knowledge, I got it back but I can imagine at work it may make things harder, especially if you want to go back part time. Never impossible though, just about weighing up your options.

I took a year out after F2 and I guess I could have thought about it then but it wasn't the right time for me. Believe me if you ask lots of women doctors about the NHS maternity policy they will know all about it and its rules, even if they don't have children!

Good luck whatever happens.
Original post by Sarky
I have friends who had children whilst at medical school. It definitely wasn't for me and i'm not suggesting it, but is that an option?

I've been broody to the point of distraction for years and nothing has changed that, but there is a reason the others are cautiously giving advice. I intercalated and lost a lot of knowledge, I got it back but I can imagine at work it may make things harder, especially if you want to go back part time. Never impossible though, just about weighing up your options.

I took a year out after F2 and I guess I could have thought about it then but it wasn't the right time for me. Believe me if you ask lots of women doctors about the NHS maternity policy they will know all about it and its rules, even if they don't have children!

Good luck whatever happens.

I can't have kids in med school as I study in Malta and my partner is bak in England, I won't be able to do it on my own in Malta, also as I study abroad I'm not entitled to any government help in terms of finance, also I'd obviously want my partner to play a part in the kids life and with him being tied up with work in Newcastle he wouldn't be able to come out to Malta very often.

I think if I take a gap year between 5th year and FY1 this would be good timing for me personally even if it means having to work extra hard when I start FY1. I want to have my cake and eat it haha. I am willing to sacrifice a lot of my career for a family, I'm not looking to climb the medical ladder as quickly as possible I just want to do it at my own pace which allows me to have a family.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2819
I'm starting to think now I'd rather defer my entry to the foundation programme and take a gap year between 5th year and FY1 to have a child. Money is really of no object because my parents said myself and my husband could live with them until I have enough for a deposit on a house and my partner works and I will receive child tax credits etc. I've known people do it on far less money. It's just I don't want my knowledge to be rusty for starting foundation, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make

Obviously that's a pretty good reason to take time out at a particular time in your life. I know it's a little sooner, but have you considered taking a year out between your BSc and clinics? I would love to take time out (to do some research) and really regret not taking it before I started clinics - now I think it'll have to wait until later on in my career (either after F2 or in specialty training).

As well as being rusty on your medicine when you start F1, you'll also be applying to the foundation program on your own rather than with a medical school which might complicate things a little.

Edit: Read your later post - makes sense, ignore me!
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending