The Student Room Group

Am I doomed to never do medicine?

Sorry for the strange title, lol. :smile:

Hi there,
I received my AS results and did so so badly. :frown: I'm really devastated. D:
I got BCDD in Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths.
I was wondering whether I could realistically retake the year on top of my A2 studies. *I'll include individual exam grades if that would help in replies* Plus, I aim to drop Physics at A2, also.
I really really really want to do Medicine and I'll happily take a gap year and resit AS, but if I could actually get in? Do you guys think I could, if I got AAA at A2? I honestly can't think of any other career I'd like to go into other than Medicine.

I'm going to get a tutor for Biology and Physics. {I really want to retake Physics}. I've spoken to my maths teacher and he said he'd arrange things such as after-school support etc. for retaking maths. As for Chemistry, I would just have to work harder.

I think I have a fair amount of W.E:
- A week on a gastro and respiratory ward, shadowing a consultant
- Volunteering on both a cardiac ward and a diabetes foot clinic
- a week of w.e. in a nursery.
- Volunteering with a project called 'The Feast', working with children mainly but I did a little bit of work in retail?
- A week shadowing a GP
+ a little more though I won't go on, lol.

My GCSE's : 2 A*'s, 7 A's and 3 B's.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you end up doing a levels over a 3 year period, the number of places you can apply to reduces from like 40ish to 5, i wouldn't advise doing that.
Your Gcse's are fine. and if you resat during your A2 year (this will be VERY difficult) you might even get an offer. Its possible but not easy.
Reply 2
Original post by Zahid~
If you end up doing a levels over a 3 year period, the number of places you can apply to reduces from like 40ish to 5, i wouldn't advise doing that.
Your Gcse's are fine. and if you resat during your A2 year (this will be VERY difficult) you might even get an offer. Its possible but not easy.

Yeah, I don't really want to do it across a 3 year period but then I'm worried that if I do it across the 2 year period then it might affect my A2 grades.. I'm not entirely sure what to do. Do you know anyone who's resat in the 2 years, by any chance?
Original post by Sammy9898
Sorry for the strange title, lol. :smile:

Hi there,
I received my AS results and did so so badly. :frown: I'm really devastated. D:
I got BCDD in Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths.
I was wondering whether I could realistically retake the year on top of my A2 studies. *I'll include individual exam grades if that would help in replies* Plus, I aim to drop Physics at A2, also.
I really really really want to do Medicine and I'll happily take a gap year and resit AS, but if I could actually get in? Do you guys think I could, if I got AAA at A2? I honestly can't think of any other career I'd like to go into other than Medicine.

I'm going to get a tutor for Biology and Physics. {I really want to retake Physics}. I've spoken to my maths teacher and he said he'd arrange things such as after-school support etc. for retaking maths. As for Chemistry, I would just have to work harder.

I think I have a fair amount of W.E:
- A week on a gastro and respiratory ward, shadowing a consultant
- Volunteering on both a cardiac ward and a diabetes foot clinic
- a week of w.e. in a nursery.
- Volunteering with a project called 'The Feast', working with children mainly but I did a little bit of work in retail?
- A week shadowing a GP
+ a little more though I won't go on, lol.

My GCSE's : 2 A*'s, 7 A's and 3 B's.

Firstly you are not doomed to never do medicine. If you think that you are capable of taking AS exams along with A2, then go for it. Then you can achieve good A2 grades such as AAA , and apply for medicine during your gap year. Also you be in a better position compared to other candidates as you will be applying with achieved A2 grades. Good Luck! :smile:
Course, you could go to uni, do a science related degree; then apply to graduate entry medicine. its not "OMG THE DOOR BE CLOSED FOREVER"
Reply 5
Original post by DeadEnd_96
Firstly you are not doomed to never do medicine. If you think that you are capable of taking AS exams along with A2, then go for it. Then you can achieve good A2 grades such as AAA , and apply for medicine during your gap year. Also you be in a better position compared to other candidates as you will be applying with achieved A2 grades. Good Luck! :smile:

Thank you for your help. :biggrin: I think I'll just go for it in terms of retaking AS exams since I don't have anything to lose, haha? :smile: And yeah, I never thought about your last point!
Reply 6
Original post by apronedsamurai
Course, you could go to uni, do a science related degree; then apply to graduate entry medicine. its not "OMG THE DOOR BE CLOSED FOREVER"

Yeah, sorry the title was supposed to catch people's attention so I could get a reply. :biggrin: I'm not too keen to go for GEM since it's apparently harder to get into than going down the traditional route. :/
Reply 7
There are still many options.
1) Work really hard next year and push those grades up, and then apply on a gap year.
2) Some other related courses have a transfer to medicine option (very competitive though) from what I can remember biomed at st georges, and one of the courses at Bradford (transfer to Leeds) do research this, there might be others.
3) Applying abroad to study medicine
4) Do another degree first then apply as a graduate

So no, you are not doomed!!
Reply 8
Yeah, sorry the title was supposed to catch people's attention so I could get a reply. :biggrin: I'm not too keen to go for GEM since it's apparently harder to get into than going down the traditional route. :/

as a graduate you can apply to 5 year undergrad courses, as well as 4 year GEP courses. Requirement for most being a 2:1.

I was NOT rebuking or scolding you, I just wanted you to realise that there ARE options, that its not totally desperate. :smile:

I know some people who failed to get into medicine and well.....lets just say they didn't do something stupid with their exams, but certainly did after the rejection letter came through. :frown:

Your not a failure. You still have a lot to offer; and you have your whole life ahead of you. Believe in yourself, and you WILL succeed.
Graduate entry is very competitive, apparently. And there aren't many pros about it: three years wasted doing a course you didn't want to do in the first place only to be put through a very competitive application process and I think you can only get a student loan for your first degree so you'd have to fund the five or six years of a medicine degree yourself, which is not fun. :/ I'd advise that as a last resort if at the end of your A2 year you still haven't got at least AAA.

Resitting multiple exams from AS is now quite difficult due to the elimination of January exams so you have to consider whether your resits (I'm not sure how many you're planning to do) will affect your A2 exams. And definitely drop either physics or maths since I have a feeling dragging the Ds up to As will require more resits than you should be doing in one exam season...

Also, if you're not satisfied with your final grades and don't want to resit, you could look at some accredited Access to Medicine courses which are only one year long. The advantages of that over GEM would be the shorter duration and the fact that if you can fork out around £1200 to pay for it, you'll still be able to get a government loan for your medical degree as that will be your first degree. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by pinkmedic
as a graduate you can apply to 5 year undergrad courses, as well as 4 year GEP courses. Requirement for most being a 2:1.

Is the GAMSAT required?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mutleybm1996
Is the GAMSAT required?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not a grad myself so i don't know the finer details, but I know at my uni, for 5 year course, GAMSAT wasn't required for grads or school leavers.

the GEP courses require you to sit GAMSAT.
Original post by Mutleybm1996
Is the GAMSAT required?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends where you apply. Some universities ask for the GAMSAT, others ask for the UKCAT or BMAT.
Reply 14
Original post by pinkmedic
There are still many options.
1) Work really hard next year and push those grades up, and then apply on a gap year.
2) Some other related courses have a transfer to medicine option (very competitive though) from what I can remember biomed at st georges, and one of the courses at Bradford (transfer to Leeds) do research this, there might be others.
3) Applying abroad to study medicine
4) Do another degree first then apply as a graduate

So no, you are not doomed!!

Yeah - I guess I'm just gonna have to work super hard this year and hopefully get 3 A's! :smile: Of course if that doesn't work out, I'll try your suggestions of studying abroad or access courses. Thank you for your advice. :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by apronedsamurai
I was NOT rebuking or scolding you, I just wanted you to realise that there ARE options, that its not totally desperate. :smile:

I know some people who failed to get into medicine and well.....lets just say they didn't do something stupid with their exams, but certainly did after the rejection letter came through. :frown:

Your not a failure. You still have a lot to offer; and you have your whole life ahead of you. Believe in yourself, and you WILL succeed.

Thank you! I needed that, haha. When I spoke to my teachers on results day, they basically said I had no hope for medicine hence I felt pretty awful for messing up so badly. However, Seeing replies on this thread has definitely given me hope. :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Hydeman
Graduate entry is very competitive, apparently. And there aren't many pros about it: three years wasted doing a course you didn't want to do in the first place only to be put through a very competitive application process and I think you can only get a student loan for your first degree so you'd have to fund the five or six years of a medicine degree yourself, which is not fun. :/ I'd advise that as a last resort if at the end of your A2 year you still haven't got at least AAA.

Resitting multiple exams from AS is now quite difficult due to the elimination of January exams so you have to consider whether your resits (I'm not sure how many you're planning to do) will affect your A2 exams. And definitely drop either physics or maths since I have a feeling dragging the Ds up to As will require more resits than you should be doing in one exam season...

Also, if you're not satisfied with your final grades and don't want to resit, you could look at some accredited Access to Medicine courses which are only one year long. The advantages of that over GEM would be the shorter duration and the fact that if you can fork out around £1200 to pay for it, you'll still be able to get a government loan for your medical degree as that will be your first degree. :smile:

As I said above I'm not too eager to do GEM but I'll keep it as a last resort. I've already decided on dropping Physics at A2 but I'm keen to resit it, as well as resit maths. /: I'll look at Access to Medicine courses a little more too. {just in case}. :biggrin: Thanks for your advice! :smile:
Reply 17
Also, do you guys think I have enough w.e. so far or should I try to add more placements? :biggrin:
Also, do you guys think I have enough w.e. so far or should I try to add more placements? :biggrin:

It's plenty. xD It's way more than I have in any case. I'm trying to get placements in September, which is kinda difficult to fit in with my UKCAT but it has to be done (I'm a gap year applicant so I'm off school in September).
Reply 19
I got ABDD in my first year and finished with A*A*B in A2 (and I dropped the subject I got an A in in AS.)

Definitely possible to improve, I'm still really pissed I only got a B in Economics, I felt sure I was going to get an A*.

You may find it hard to get accepted into decent unis though, I got accepted into Cardiff with Lancaster as my insurance for economics which isn't bad, but my A2 grades were good enough for almost anywhere.

(They weren't easy subjects either; Maths, History and Economics, but they aren't as hard as yours.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending