The Student Room Group

How to improve my PGCE application

Hello.

I am planning on applying to do a PGCE this Oct/Nov 2016, to begin in Sept 2017.

At the moment I am a Chemistry student at The University of Edinburgh. I am in my fourth of five years. This fourth year is a year in industry, so I am currently based in London working for a year in a lab. This year in industry ends 24th June 2016.

This July, I have one week planned in my old state school, one in a state school just out of Special Measures, and one in a Grammar school. I have currently completed one week of work experience at my old state school (last summer 2015). This will bring my total to four weeks, and take me to the end of the English school year.

I do not start my fifth year until Sept 2016, therefore this August, when I am back in Edinburgh I am trying to gain work experience in schools, as the academic year starts 17th August. So far no luck, but it is early days.

Is there anything else I can do to aid my application? I have a period of 4/5 weeks between the end of the English system and the start of the Scottish, so can I do anything then? I am also struggling to get experience in Scottish schools (totally different system) so does anyone have any ideas?

I should also mention I would like to be a Chemistry teacher, with Maths as my back up. I'm not sure how it works teaching two subjects yet - I need to look this up. I'm spending time in the Science and Maths Departments, mainly the Science. I've also not looked completely into which unis I will apply to, but I know that the PGCE is the best route for me. I want to teach ages 11-18.

I would be grateful if anyone has any advice - I want to be clear this summer on exactly what will help my application, to make the application process easier.

Additional edit - I want to teach in England.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by HippyEMS
Hello.

I am planning on applying to do a PGCE this Oct/Nov 2016, to begin in Sept 2017.

At the moment I am a Chemistry student at The University of Edinburgh. I am in my fourth of five years. This fourth year is a year in industry, so I am currently based in London working for a year in a lab. This year in industry ends 24th June 2016.

This July, I have one week planned in my old state school, one in a state school just out of Special Measures, and one in a Grammar school. I have currently completed one week of work experience at my old state school (last summer 2015). This will bring my total to four weeks, and take me to the end of the English school year.

I do not start my fifth year until Sept 2016, therefore this August, when I am back in Edinburgh I am trying to gain work experience in schools, as the academic year starts 17th August. So far no luck, but it is early days.

Is there anything else I can do to aid my application? I have a period of 4/5 weeks between the end of the English system and the start of the Scottish, so can I do anything then? I am also struggling to get experience in Scottish schools (totally different system) so does anyone have any ideas?

I should also mention I would like to be a Chemistry teacher, with Maths as my back up. I'm not sure how it works teaching two subjects yet - I need to look this up. I'm spending time in the Science and Maths Departments, mainly the Science. I've also not looked completely into which unis I will apply to, but I know that the PGCE is the best route for me. I want to teach ages 11-18.

I would be grateful if anyone has any advice - I want to be clear this summer on exactly what will help my application, to make the application process easier.

Are you hoping to teach in England or Scotland? I think you would need a PGDE if you wanted to teach in Scotland.

It sounds like you have plenty of experience and with chemistry being a shortage subject, you should be fine as long as you write a strong application and are able to reflect on your experiences in different schools.

I think you would probably need some experience in a Scottish school if you wanted to teach there. I'm no expert on how to go about this as I am training in England but I would look at the 'get into teaching' website and give them a ring and ask for advice. They were able to arrange a school placement for me and they even got me in touch with a careers advisor who helped me with my application. The university where you are hoping to study might be able to help too.
Reply 2
Original post by ginger.
Are you hoping to teach in England or Scotland? I think you would need a PGDE if you wanted to teach in Scotland.

It sounds like you have plenty of experience and with chemistry being a shortage subject, you should be fine as long as you write a strong application and are able to reflect on your experiences in different schools.

I think you would probably need some experience in a Scottish school if you wanted to teach there. I'm no expert on how to go about this as I am training in England but I would look at the 'get into teaching' website and give them a ring and ask for advice. They were able to arrange a school placement for me and they even got me in touch with a careers advisor who helped me with my application. The university where you are hoping to study might be able to help too.

Hi,

Thank you very much. Yes I should have stated - I want to teach in England. I have A levels and am English myself, just gone to the Scottish University. I therefore understand the English education system much better and therefore want to do a PGCE.
Hello.

Additional edit - I want to teach in England.

Some points:
- Some places wont consider experience form the school you were educated at.
- Some places wont count grammar/private experience (more private)
- Do a variety of experience over many years and if possible get to teach portions of lessons
- I dont think you can do chemistry/maths explicitly but maths/phys is possible.
Hi,

Thank you very much. Yes I should have stated - I want to teach in England. I have A levels and am English myself, just gone to the Scottish University. I therefore understand the English education system much better and therefore want to do a PGCE.

The short answer, which will sound flippant and isn't meant to be, is that unless you do something pretty dreadful, with the current shortage of science and maths teachers you'll be in as long as you can stand up and keep breathing. Get the classroom experience in. That's pretty much all you need to do.
there's a shortage for chemistry and maths teachers apparently - but i don't think in your PGCE year you can do both, however, when you get employed you can do both maths and science if you wanted. (it depends if your school needs extra help, i know a teacher who did science and a language) but i think you would just like teaching one subject, eventually. lol.
you need a lot of experience, try one day a week at a secondary school? or even attending a morning at a school?

Good luck with it.
Reply 6
Hi,

I would call these people and say that you're interested in the school experience programme if you need to get more experience. You might already have enough experience if you do the placements you mentioned though, I would check with the university you are applying for.

https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/getting-school-experience

Also go to the Train to Teach Roadshow in the area where you are hoping to train if you can. Most providers will be there so you can ask them any questions you might have. I found it very helpful and I changed my mind about some of my choices after attending the event.

https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/teaching-events/train-to-teach-events

Also I think you might have to teach physics and biology at key stage 3 and possibly 4 as well... at least that's what the chemistry trainees on my PGCE course have to do.

Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending