The Student Room Group

ICT RAF!

Hey so I've passed the AST to go in as IT Technician, was wondering if anyone could give me any more info that isn't on the website, and further help for the recruitment progress.

Also anything people may know about this trade, is it more hands on them computer work or what?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Adamlaneton
was wondering if anyone could give me any more info that isn't on the website, and further help for the recruitment progress.

What kind of information?

And what kind of further help with the process?
Reply 2
Original post by Drewski
What kind of information?

And what kind of further help with the process?

Well, As I haven't accepted the role yet I wanted to find out as much as I can about the role. Would you know the following?

-Is there much travel around the world involved?
-Is it most hands on or computer based as I saw it involves electronic engineering?
-What are other RAF personnel's attitude towards IT Tech's?

As for the rest of the recruitment process, I was just hoping for some tips on the next steps I will be taking, eg, Selection interview, PJFT, etc...

Thanks.
Original post by Adamlaneton
Well, As I haven't accepted the role yet I wanted to find out as much as I can about the role. Would you know the following?

-Is there much travel around the world involved?
-Is it most hands on or computer based as I saw it involves electronic engineering?
-What are other RAF personnel's attitude towards IT Tech's?

As for the rest of the recruitment process, I was just hoping for some tips on the next steps I will be taking, eg, Selection interview, PJFT, etc...

Thanks.

I can answer your questions.

Travel - yes, there can be a fair amount of travel. It all depends on where you are posted to (look up 90SU - the main deployable unit for ICT Techs). Every so often you will be deployed for 4-6 months.

Hands on/IT based - Again, this depends on where you are posted and what equipment you will be working on. Generally speaking, if you are posted to a deployable unit you will get a good mix of the two. If posted to a main operating base you will more than likely manage systems from a computer. In all posts, the more experience you gain, the greater the opportunity to go onto more depth on the equipment.

Attitude - everyone tends to be protective of their own trade and their status. The ICT trade tends to be fairly high profile as there is a lot of interaction with relatively senior ranks who use comms equipment to carry out their role. When things are broken the pressure can definitely be on...

Quick Reply

Latest