The Student Room Group

Do people enjoy corporate life?

Being one of many where no one really knows you and you are just another cog in a giant machine? Is this what I worked so hard to get into and the reason I am in debt with the government? Just so I can sit in an office looking flashy on a computer? This is my life now :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is one of the main reasons I avoided the graduate scheme route when I left uni and looked for local 'graduate level' jobs instead - I didn't like the idea of being one of say 10/20 grads doing the same thing and would rather work within a smaller team where I had more of an identity and an individual role. Have you had a look at moving into something like that? The problem with those though is that it's very much a case of being in the right place at the right time as the opportunities aren't as clearly visible as grad schemes. (Both my jobs since leaving uni in 2011 have been via local agencies)

That said, many people would much prefer working in a grad scheme corporate environment, so everyone's different!
(edited 8 years ago)
No, being a corporate slave isn't actually meant to be a positive thing for society overall. Corporations are up to all sorts of mischief and working for them just aids them in doing just that.
Reply 3
Original post by Gnomes&Knights
No, being a corporate slave isn't actually meant to be a positive thing for society overall. Corporations are up to all sorts of mischief and working for them just aids them in doing just that.

So what are you going to do to avoid being a corporate slave?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Nope, don't like to work for others. Started my own business recently and going to quit soon. Worked enough that I have enough money to keep myself going for 2 - 3 years on top of budget for the business.
Reply 5
Original post by Sigma44
Nope, don't like to work for others. Started my own business recently and going to quit soon. Worked enough that I have enough money to keep myself going for 2 - 3 years on top of budget for the business.

BS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Duck and Cover
This is one of the main reasons I avoided the graduate scheme route when I left uni and looked for local 'graduate level' jobs instead - I didn't like the idea of being one of say 10/20 grads doing the same thing and would rather work within a smaller team where I had more of an identity and an individual role. Have you had a look at moving into something like that? The problem with those though is that it's very much a case of being in the right place at the right time as the opportunities aren't as clearly visible as grad schemes. (Both my jobs since leaving uni in 2011 have been via local agencies)

That said, many people would much prefer working in a grad scheme corporate environment, so everyone's different!

This. Although, you will often find out you're working twice as hard for a much lower wage than those part of big company grad schemes.
Reply 7
Original post by Souljer
Being one of many where no one really knows you and you are just another cog in a giant machine? Is this what I worked so hard to get into and the reason I am in debt with the government? Just so I can sit in an office looking flashy on a computer? This is my life now :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not Yet
:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending