The Student Room Group

International entry requirements and early acceptance from Canada

I am planning to study Medicine in the UK soon. I am still not sure which university I will be going to, but I will probably be applying to 5 different universities. I also know that I am supposed to be applying through UCAS and that I should pass the BMAT. I have some unanswered questions so please reply to these questions ASAP if you have any answers for me.

My first question is: do universities in the UK have an early acceptance system for their undergraduates and if they do how does it work and when do I have to apply?

My second question is: What are the entry requirements for Canadain students? Do I need an AP or IB Diploma or can I just be accepted through my Ontario high school graduation diploma?

My third question is: What other similar International qualifications are accepted by the UK universities?

Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by tarig00
I am planning to study Medicine in the UK soon. I am still not sure which university I will be going to, but I will probably be applying to 5 different universities. I also know that I am supposed to be applying through UCAS and that I should pass the BMAT. I have some unanswered questions so please reply to these questions ASAP if you have any answers for me.

My first question is: do universities in the UK have an early acceptance system for their undergraduates and if they do how does it work and when do I have to apply?

My second question is: What are the entry requirements for Canadain students? Do I need an AP or IB Diploma or can I just be accepted through my Ontario high school graduation diploma?

My third question is: What other similar International qualifications are accepted by the UK universities?

Thank you

You have to apply for a student visa i think, before you can come here?
Reply 2
Hi I am a student from Vancouver interested in studying at Oxford and just came from an info session, so here's what the recruiter told me:

- In regards to your first question, no there is no early admissions but considering the Oxford timeline the application deadline in October 15 which is similar to many US/CDN early admissions program anyways

- AP or IB is accepted with different requirements for both depending on the University and at Oxford, a provincial diploma is acceptable with their acceptance cutoff at 85% which is obviously not competitive. This is not true at Cambridge, a provincial diploma is not enough you need 40-41 in IB or 5 AP 5's. The recruiter mentioned that if you don't meet the full requirements of AP (so if your school offers some AP's but not a full catalog) submit your scores anyways and they won't hurt you and will only be seen as extra but she cautioned that you are expected to be taking the most difficult course load possible.

- I'm not sure but AP and IB are accepted by most UK universities

Another note that the recruiter mentioned specifically for medical applicants, the UK government mandates that all schools can only have 7% of their incoming medical students be international and at Oxford that works out to 7 exactly. She really could not stress enough how competitive these spots are as you are competing with 1000s of students from around the globe.

Disclaimer: Some of this may be wrong and/or Oxford-specific as I don't live in the UK and most of this information was found online (albeit at the university website) and from the aforementioned recruiter.

Hope this helps!
Original post by tarig00

Thank you

You can only apply to a maximum of 4 universities for Medicine under UCAS. You can put down a fifth choice, but it cannot be medicine. Also, depending on which universities you're applying to, you might be required to take the UKCAT. Go check out the medicine section of the wiki and TSR for details on entry requirements.

First, if you're asking whether UK universities run some form of Early Admission/ Early Decision, the answer is no. All Medicine (and Oxbridge) applicants must apply by October 15.

Second, entry requirements vary depending on university. You need to check every university's website individually. Oxford's is available here: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/international-students/international-qualifications?wssl=1

For Canadian students, it states that the Canadian Provincial Secondary School qualification is acceptable. However, if you take any other qualifications (eg SAT, AP, IB), you MUST put them down as well. Preferably, you should choose subjects that align with Medicine (eg Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics).

As mentioned by sjpak, all UK universities has a strict overseas quota for Medicine and consequently, competition is extremely keen for the few overseas spots available. For the 2015 admissions cycle, Oxford received 289 international applications, shortlisted 31, and ultimately made offers to 6. That's a 2% acceptance rate. (See http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics for other statistics).
Original post by tarig00
I am planning to study Medicine in the UK soon. I am still not sure which university I will be going to, but I will probably be applying to 5 different universities.

You can only apply to 4 for medicine.

No.

Thank you

Don't know. I know most Americans would be offering APs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending