The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by astonky
I also read strangling. I do hope that is correct

Sorry but it was straggling
Original post by alan_jjj
Did anybody write that Maria didn't actually have a sore neck and just didnt want to go rafting with her husband?

Yes! I wrote that the 'pain in her neck' was a realistic metaphor of her husband!
Reply 882
Original post by senpyi
No, I don't think this will affect your grade too much. As long as you signed off the letter as Mrs Head or whatever her name was, you should be fine. I didn't. I signed off as myself and my teachers said I'd probably lose a few marks for that😞

wrong perspective? made that mistake in my mock. shiter.
Original post by Aubergineator
Did anyone give the husband a name for question 1? I just kept referring to him as my husband but a few of my friends made up a name!

Yh same here... BTW i used an abbreviation of AKA I have no idea why for Q1... i think i got a bit too friendly....
how many marks do u think i lost???
I found question 2 difficult as I didn't even get to part B :frown:((
Question 2

Para 4 general effect is beauty and there is a sense of awe?

Phrase(roughly): orange trees laced with sun- metapharical phrase showing beauty of sun etc lace is a soft word links to the embroidered gown or weddings i dont even know

Gifted writer :she is talented

Entranced: hs is mesmerized stood in awe and speechless

I forgot tge rest of what i was gonna type but here is an idea
Original post by amanii_ox
The least is 1... bc it's small plus it's 5 marks for writing skills and i'm sure they'll let it pass

Dw i used AKA (as known as) and i hv no idea why... but everything else writing wise seemed realistic.... how many marks do u think i will lose

You may lose a mark but as long as everything else sounds like the character you should be fine.
I named mine Robert haha

Original post by Aubergineator
Did anyone give the husband a name for question 1? I just kept referring to him as my husband but a few of my friends made up a name!
Original post by khall16
I named mine, but some of my friends just called him 'the husband' too

I called him Dave :P
Original post by amanii_ox
I HAVE SO MANY Q':frown:(
wHAT what the general idea of the text... i didn't touch up on the fact that they won the word thing... and For question 2a i wasn't talking about how the Al was reading it, i was saying that the description emphasize the peace and relaxing in the hotel... and generallypositive things about the hotel
and part b said it was about the dedicaton Al has toward his guest through the effort he put in despite Mr heads arrogant attitude which showed how ungrateful he was

WILL i lose mark?! :O

I did exactly the same for question 2 part b
I feel like I could pass an exam on honeybees now. Every time I sit an exam paper for English language, I come away from it learning about a useless topic.
I signed it off with 'lots of love, Maria' or something along those lines because she was writing to her friend wasn't she?
Original post by FaisalNaeem03
Lets bee real here. 9 :wink: Loool

bee-hive! those jokes are not honey!

Spoiler

Original post by alan_jjj
It said straggling :smile:

what a unusual word. cheers
Original post by Username3097486
what was the last line again

About how the M. R. Head was not a spelling error, and that it was Maria Rose Head.
Original post by Martha_Louise
I did exactly the same for question 2 part b

yh, my other friends were saying how they referred part 2a to the actual words Maria wrote for the competition and how Al was surprised by it and that's why the couple won.... something lke that...

I hope that no many marks are lost by this
Reply 896
Original post by nyula
wrong perspective? made that mistake in my mock. shiter.

No I wrote the letter all in Ms Head's perspective but I got so into writing it, I signed off as myself😥.
Original post by monkeyboy18000
Can someone tell me how the grade boundaries work with the Cambridge igcse? The grade thresholds on the website doesn't make sense to me whatsoever as it states that the whole course is out of 125 marks but surely it's out of 130 marks (50 from exam, 30 from speaking and listening, 40 from coursework + 10 for reading). I know I am obviously going wrong somewhere. Also, roughly how many marks would I need to get in the exam to get an A overall? My speaking and listening is 28, coursework average mark is 38 + 8 for reading.

They times your speaking by 1.2 . For example in the end say you got 30 - Cambridge would divide that by 1.2 and you'll get 25.

So for you, you got 23.3 (not sure if they round) and 46 which brings you to a total of 69.

I did the paper in November (2015 early entry)and it was 104 for A*, 94 for an A etc. Thus you would need 35 in the exam which isn't too bad - provided grade boundaries don't change

Make sense?
Original post by Username3097486
what a unusual word. cheers

Haha Ikr
I ended up writing it had connotations of strangling and struggling suggesting over crowdedness
Original post by k.m.b
aw dont cry, i'm so glad it's over and done with!
1 down
24 to go :biggrin:

Thank you ive got 19 left

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending