The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1160
Original post by TeenPolyglot
I think it's a risky thing to say what you'll need to get an A* or an A or whatever.

When I did it in November, I was predicted a sure fire A*- I had full marks in both Speaking and Listening and coursework.

And yet I came out with a B.

To be fair, everyone that didn't get A* in our school had to do a resit. That was 335 students.

That happened to me... coursework put down and exam technique needed changed without informing teachers. Like with Q2 and the overall effect.
Am I the only one who didn't do any coursework for English Lang? We did the 25% Speaking but none of this coursework everyone is talking about. We did coursework for English Lit though.
Original post by monkeyboy18000
I thought the husband remained in hospital until the day they would both leave evidently meaning that the wife would spend the rest of the days by herself? Because it stated that she needs to stop on Friday to pick him up from the hospital before the airport. Either that or I've just screwed this whole exam!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dude I dont even know! Now im worried......what did u other people do??
Maybe they will accept both cuz its so ambiguous but i dont know
Original post by ad4m
You need 34/50

47+25=72
106-72 = 34

Wait so I take 5 off my speaking?
Reply 1164
Original post by george_c00per
Am I the only one who didn't do any coursework for English Lang? We did the 25% Speaking but none of this coursework everyone is talking about. We did coursework for English Lit though.

There are two roots for 0522, paper 3 and coursework count for the same thing (40%) like the exam (40%) and the speaking (20%). Some schools do coursework and some do paper 3. They assess the same things.
Reply 1165
Original post by chloedobbs
Wait so I take 5 off my speaking?

Speaking is 20% and if a mark of 30 was given on the syllabus mark it would equal more than 20% so they divide it by 1.2 to get the mark for syllabus.

So 30/1.2 = 25. This means that is counts for 20% of the 125.
Reply 1166
I thought the husband remained in hospital until the day they would both leave evidently meaning that the wife would spend the rest of the days by herself? Because it stated that she needs to stop on Friday to pick him up from the hospital before the airport. Either that or I've just screwed this whole exam!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's how i interpreted it,
Reply 1167

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's how i interpreted it. I thought they were picking him up on the way to the airport.
Original post by ad4m
There are two roots for 0522, paper 3 and coursework count for the same thing (40%) like the exam (40%) and the speaking (20%). Some schools do coursework and some do paper 3. They assess the same things.

Oh ok that makes sense, yes we are doing paper 3 on Friday so we must be taking that route instead.
Original post by ad4m
That's how i interpreted it,

I was unsure about this so sort of said things for both. I said that I hope to visit things like the animal sanctuary before my husband returns but I also said that I hope my husband is in a more positive mood when he returns from the hospital.
Original post by ad4m
That's how i interpreted it. I thought they were picking him up on the way to the airport.

That's how I interpreted it as well because that's what she said, wasn't it? If it wasn't I might be screwed for real haha:K:
Original post by I'm_infires
This is what I wrote too :tongue: i still think it was utter ******** tho

Posted from TSR Mobile

thats semi-reassuring! i don't think i did very well either. i wanted an a and my coursework and speaking was a b so it wasnt likely
The markscheme is complete!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4058147&p=64555479#post64555479
Hope it puts some of your to ease :smile:
Reply 1173
Original post by senpyi
That's how I interpreted it as well because that's what she said, wasn't it? If it wasn't I might be screwed for real haha:K:

I wrote it as if she would be alone for the rest of the holiday and the things she would do without him like visit the sanctuary and learn about bees, relax etc.
Original post by ad4m
I wrote it as if she would be alone for the rest of the holiday and the things she would do without him like visit the sanctuary and learn about bees, relax etc.

Yep, I said that she would talk to the gardener about the bees and write in the journal to relax till Friday when she'll go to pick up her husband on the way to the airport.
Reply 1175
Original post by senpyi
Yep, I said that she would talk to the gardener about the bees and write in the journal to relax till Friday when she'll go to pick up her husband on the way to the airport.

Exactly mine. I have a love hate relationship with bullet point 3 sometimes!
Original post by george_c00per

Nope, I haven't done any bar the S&L.
Original post by ad4m

Man i talked about how what they did would determine what to do for the rest of the trip according to the husbands injury

For example, I said we would take more excursions if the husband was fit enough

SH*It

Do u think i will be awarded some marks?
Original post by ad4m

Same, it all depends on how people interpret the points for bullet point 3 because you could interpret it a different way to everyone else and that could still be right in your eyes but wrong in the mark scheme.
Reply 1179
Original post by examhater44
Man i talked about how what they did would determine what to do for the rest of the trip according to the husbands injury

For example, I said we would take more excursions if the husband was fit enough

SH*It

Do u think i will be awarded some marks?

Yeah the mark scheme has a variety of options. Plus the extract was very to your own interpretation and pretty long!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending