The Student Room Group

Scan Results

I went for a CT scan back in January for abdominal pain, arranged by my local A&E department. After the scan I asked when the I would get the results back but I wasn't given an exact time period but they assured me I would get the results soon. A few weeks went by so I decided to ask my GP but he said the results would be sent to me either by the &E department or the place I got the scan. 2 months went by with no letter or phone call from anywhere so I called the A&E department and the hospital I got the scan but they couldn't give me any results and reassured me that I would get them soon. I was still unsure about this but assured myself that they know what they are doing. Yesterday I called the A&E department and the hospital again but I got different bits of info from each source and I was passed around to several different departments who said they couldn't tell me and transferred me to other people who all said the same thing. Finally I was put through to someone who told me I was on a waiting list and I would hear something from them in a few weeks. This person also told me that I may get a referral appointment. I am worried since it has been nearly 4 months since I went for the scan and still am none the wiser. My thought process is mixed and I have to reassure myself that if it was something bad they would have told me by now.

Can anyone give me any advice on what to do next or have had a similar experience with the NHS?

Any help and advice will be appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by agentawesome
I went for a CT scan back in January for abdominal pain, arranged by my local A&E department. After the scan I asked when the I would get the results back but I wasn't given an exact time period but they assured me I would get the results soon. A few weeks went by so I decided to ask my GP but he said the results would be sent to me either by the &E department or the place I got the scan. 2 months went by with no letter or phone call from anywhere so I called the A&E department and the hospital I got the scan but they couldn't give me any results and reassured me that I would get them soon. I was still unsure about this but assured myself that they know what they are doing. Yesterday I called the A&E department and the hospital again but I got different bits of info from each source and I was passed around to several different departments who said they couldn't tell me and transferred me to other people who all said the same thing. Finally I was put through to someone who told me I was on a waiting list and I would hear something from them in a few weeks. This person also told me that I may get a referral appointment. I am worried since it has been nearly 4 months since I went for the scan and still am none the wiser. My thought process is mixed and I have to reassure myself that if it was something bad they would have told me by now.

Can anyone give me any advice on what to do next or have had a similar experience with the NHS?

Any help and advice will be appreciated.

It all seems a bit strange.

If I were you I would probably do one of two things. Either write a letter to the patient advice and liason service at the hospital. Don't say that you want to make a complaint just outline the difficulties that you are having and ask whether they can help you sort out what is going on. The other option that you phone your GP and explain the issues that you are having and ask if they can write a letter to try and find out the scan result.

Both of these options should result in you hearing something
Original post by randdom
It all seems a bit strange.

If I were you I would probably do one of two things. Either write a letter to the patient advice and liason service at the hospital. Don't say that you want to make a complaint just outline the difficulties that you are having and ask whether they can help you sort out what is going on. The other option that you phone your GP and explain the issues that you are having and ask if they can write a letter to try and find out the scan result.

Both of these options should result in you hearing something

Thanks for the response. I keep trying to give them the benefit of the doubt but the longer I leave it, the more I think they are forgetting about me. I have to reassure myself that no news is good news and if they had found something wrong they would have told me by now.

Thanks again
Reply 3
Original post by agentawesome

I have had a few MRIs (obviously not CTs, but still scans) in the past when I was initially being diagnosed with my illness, so may be able to offer some reassurance.

When I did have something wrong on tests, I've been told within a day or two - incredibly quickly - and the appointment has been made for not long after to discuss next steps. I've never not been contacted, or left in the dark, when something has been present on test results.

When there was nothing found on a head scan, I didn't hear back for weeks, but was given an appointment to discuss moving forward (it was to transfer me for a different test, which ultimately led to my diagnosis) and what they would do to help - this could be what the referral they are discussing is about. The fact that they've put you on a waiting list is good news - this should mean it isn't serious and it's highly unlikely they've found anything; but if you had a CT it means you have pain or some symptoms, and so they could be transferring you for either different tests, a different diagnosis or a management plan.

Everyone I've spoken to also reiterates this - when they found something, the patient knew very quickly. No news is definitely good news - if they had found something or if it was serious they would've contacted you, and it's incredibly unlikely you would be on a waiting list for referral right now. Especially since you were done through A&E - you'd likely have been done as an emergency case, and if there was something seriously wrong, you'd know by now.

If you are still worried, keep contacting the department, or perhaps visit your GP if you still have the symptoms to ask about further treatment options. They did say they're potentially referring you though, which means they haven't forgotten about you and it's likely this will be to discuss next steps to help relieve your symptoms. Hope this can offer some reassurance to you - but I know waiting is awful! :redface:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by celloel
I have had a few MRIs (obviously not CTs, but still scans) in the past when I was initially being diagnosed with my illness, so may be able to offer some reassurance.

When I did have something wrong on tests, I've been told within a day or two - incredibly quickly - and the appointment has been made for not long after to discuss next steps. I've never not been contacted, or left in the dark, when something has been present on test results.

When there was nothing found on a head scan, I didn't hear back for weeks, but was given an appointment to discuss moving forward (it was to transfer me for a different test, which ultimately led to my diagnosis) and what they would do to help - this could be what the referral they are discussing is about. The fact that they've put you on a waiting list is good news - this should mean it isn't serious and it's highly unlikely they've found anything; but if you had a CT it means you have pain or some symptoms, and so they could be transferring you for either different tests, a different diagnosis or a management plan.

Everyone I've spoken to also reiterates this - when they found something, the patient knew very quickly. No news is definitely good news - if they had found something or if it was serious they would've contacted you, and it's incredibly unlikely you would be on a waiting list for referral right now. Especially since you were done through A&E - you'd likely have been done as an emergency case, and if there was something seriously wrong, you'd know by now.

If you are still worried, keep contacting the department, or perhaps visit your GP if you still have the symptoms to ask about further treatment options. They did say they're potentially referring you though, which means they haven't forgotten about you and it's likely this will be to discuss next steps to help relieve your symptoms. Hope this can offer some reassurance to you - but I know waiting is awful! :redface:

Thank you so much :smile: You have no idea how relaxed I feel after your response. I am no longer in pain but I have occasional bouts of discomfort that has significantly reduced since January.

Quick Reply

Latest