The Student Room Group

Law or Medicine?

So hello everyone, I'm pretty confused.I'm unsure to what career path to take, law or medicine? I enjoy Science and History/English (and the law aspect itself) but could someone give me the pros and cons of both careers. If anyone has been in a similar situation or you have any stories concerning your education or career, please feel free to tell. Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

You may not be able to get much useful advice that you can actually use on such a broad topic.

Your best bet is to research both fields, universities you're interested in, and post-graduate -pathways that you may be interested in.
More sawab in healing the sick :beard:
Reply 3
Original post by BristolFresher15
You may not be able to get much useful advice that you can actually use on such a broad topic.

Your best bet is to research both fields, universities you're interested in, and post-graduate -pathways that you may be interested in.

I have but the thing that's putting me off Medicine is that I'm getting B's in Science while I'm getting A's and A*'s in History. Also, I've been hearing from so many people that Chemistry and Biology are really hard :frown: Initially I wanted to do Medicine or Dentistry (most likely dentistry) but I feel really interested in Law. So that's why.
These are two different fields .What is it that attracts you to them ?
Reply 5
Original post by Zamestaneh
More sawab in healing the sick :beard:

True true true
Original post by Mrs.Grey
True true true

Also you may have to represent people who have done horrible crimes and defend them even though you know they are guilty
I was in the same situation as you but i have decided on aiming for Medicine.

My reasoning was that I enjoy Science the most and generally score higher in Maths and Science subjects in school. I also gravitate towards medical books and documentaries in my free time. What finally decided it for me was doing work experience in a hospital where I fell in love with the idea of becoming a doctor one day.

Do my suggestion is that you do the same; evaluate your strengths and what naturally interests you the most then get some experience of both and see which you can see yourself doing.
Law; it's just so much more exciting to argue a case for somebody rather than making medicines that may have real bad side effects for the person.
But y'know if medicine's your thing then do it
Reply 9
Also you may have to represent people who have done horrible crimes and defend them even though you know they are guilty

:frown::frown::frown: True again but...true it'd be hard to get myself to let down a client especially if I'm new or otherwise I'd lose my job :frown:
:frown::frown::frown: True again but...true it'd be hard to get myself to let down a client especially if I'm new or otherwise I'd lose my job :frown:

Which is why I advise Medicine :console: There is never a shortage in demand for doctors also :fyi:
I have but the thing that's putting me off Medicine is that I'm getting B's in Science while I'm getting A's and A*'s in History. Also, I've been hearing from so many people that Chemistry and Biology are really hard :frown: Initially I wanted to do Medicine or Dentistry (most likely dentistry) but I feel really interested in Law. So that's why.

You're still in GCSE so its hard to say. If you clearly seem to find History and the like easier and more enjoyable then you can look into different careers in that sector.
Reply 12
Which is why I advise Medicine :console: There is never a shortage in demand for doctors also :fyi:

Another fair point. What about Chemistry and Biology A levels?
(Original post by Zamestaneh)
Also you may have to represent people who have done horrible crimes and defend them even though you know they are guilty True again but...true it'd be hard to get myself to let down a client especially if I'm new or otherwise I'd lose my job
(Original post by Zamestaneh)
More sawab in healing the sick True true true

well, if you always look from a religious point of view then to an extent everything is wrong
e.g. primark and their work ethics, they exploit people from ledc's; if you work at asda you earn wages from the pork they sell etc meh, its your life go live it with what you love
Go for Law but it's your choice, do what makes you happy!
I was sort of in the same position as you. They are both extremely difficult fields to get into. Law is very competitive and there's an excess of Law graduates with many being unable to secure training contracts and end up in other jobs. However, if you work hard now and aim to apply to top unis and end up with a 2:1, you'll be in a better position than other graduates.
I'm sure I don't need to tell you how hard it is to get into Medicine, but if it what you are truly passionate about and want to do then don't let that put you off.
I'd advise you to keep your a level choices somewhat open so both doors aren't closed. Maybe do something like Chem,Maths, Bio and History. Also try to get work experience in both fields.
Apply to access programmes and summer schools too.
Some of the things I've done to enhance my law PS:
-part of the Pathways to Law programme(I strongly advice you apply for this)
-2 week work experience at DLA Piper
-summer schools at KCL and Oxford this summer
I don't know any specific access programmes for Medicine but I'm sure you can find some.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Thanbir.33
Law; it's just so much more exciting to argue a case for somebody rather than making medicines that may have real bad side effects for the person.
But y'know if medicine's your thing then do it

Lol if you do Medicine you don't make the medicine yourself...You prescribe it, yes, but you don't make it xD

And that's why you spend 5 years in uni alone (+ years and years after that depending on how far you go) to ensure that you make as few mistakes as possible because you're dealing with people's lives.
(edited 7 years ago)

Law isn't all about defending criminals you know :lol:
Original post by teenhorrorstory
I was sort of in the same position as you. They are both extremely difficult fields to get into. Law is very competitive and there's an excess of Law graduates with many being unable to secure training contracts and end up in other jobs. However, if you work hard now and aim to apply to top unis and end up with a 2:1, you'll be in a better position than other graduates.
I'm sure I don't need to tell you how hard it is to get into Medicine, but if it what you are truly passionate about and want to do then don't let that put you off.
I'd advise you to keep your a level choices somewhat open so both doors aren't closed. Maybe do something like Chem,Maths, Bio and History. Also try to get work experience in both fields.
Apply to access programmes and summer schools too.
Some of the things I've done to enhance my law PS:
-part of the Pathways to Law programme(I strongly advice you apply for this)
-2 week work experience at DLA Piper
-summer schools at KCL and Oxford this summer
I don't know any specific access programmes for Medicine but I'm sure you can find some.

Which one did you pick ?
Original post by Kadak
Which one did you pick ?

Law-much to my mum's disappointment :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending