The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dalek1099
No people shouldn't get extra time, people should be allowed to do the exams in alternative conditions to help with certain difficulties(just like an employer might do like using a laptop instead of writing on paper) but they shouldn't be given extra time.The reason for this is very simply why would an employer employ someone who produces less work in their 9-5 working hours compared to someone else who produce more work assuming that both people produce the same quality?This isn't some sort of discrimination if a disabled person(with any specific arrangements than I can make possible) can't produce work in the same amount of time and quality as a normal worker then I wouldn't employ them.

I have seen people posting how they need extra time because they take longer to process information but exams are timed and this means part of the assessment is based around how fast people can process information and answer questions so since this ability is tested on the exam then why are people who are bad at this given extra time?A lot of these disabilities are really just saying these people are bad at this skill or another and thus they should lose marks as a result.

That's so true! I totally agree with you!
If you can't write quick enough, learn to write quicker like EVERYONE else has to do and whom do not have extra time!
Unis also see if you have extra time for your a levels etc. which i wouldnt say is a good thing..
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by OturuDansay
If you can't write quick enough, learn to write quicker like EVERYONE else has to do and whom do not have extra time!
Unis also see if you have extra time for your a levels etc. which i wouldnt say is a good thing..

Agree with both of you :redface:
Okay....Korea has a literacy rate of 98%, one of the highest in the world. This is because they are so disciplined and they have the correct teaching methods; I don't think many people will have "Dyslexia" there...And if they do have "learning disabilities" they work very hard to overcome them. Being labeled with one of these "learning disabilities" is cruel; it makes people lazy and slower than what they were before being "diagnosed".
Apparently "dyslexia" came about due to middle-class parents having to make up an excuse for why there child is not as smart as the next one...
I'm not talking about physcial difficulties because that's a different matter.
(edited 7 years ago)
Okay....Korea has a literacy rate of 98%, one of the highest in the world. This is because they are so disciplined and they have the correct teaching methods; I don't think many people will have "Dyslexia" there...And if they do have "learning disabilities" they work very hard to overcome them. Being labeled with one of these "learning disabilities" is cruel; it makes people lazy and slower than what they were before being "diagnosed".
Apparently "dyslexia" came about due to middle-class parents having to make up an excuse for why there child is not as smart as the next one...
I'm not talking about physcial difficulties because that's a different matter.

While I accept your point bout laziness as I have seen it happen, the ignorance in this post astronomical. Many people with SpLD's do work very hard to overcome them. Personally I have severe Specific Learning Differences so my extra time allowance if often bigger than that for other people with Dyslexia. However, I am far from lazy. I learnt to read on time.I went to secondary school with my peer group despite spending the last year of primary in hospital mostly. I left school with my peers obtaining A levels significantly above average despite mental health problems in my final year. I had to work significantly harder than many of my peers here. I am only now a year behind by my own choice as I knew I could achieve a bit better. My best friend who has moderate SpLD,s just graduated with a 1st from St Andrews for her Intercalated BSc. Now whilst I give you that the label dyslexia is pretty useless as it is now used too liberally- the statistical methods for Identifying SpLD's are robust. I have had no less than 3 independent assessments and all corroborated my cognitive profile to a high degree of accuracy. Maximum variance of 4 standard scores on IQ scale, which is very small. The bit about middle class parents is a myth. I also think that the line between Physical difficulties and learning differences may not be a clearly defined as you would hope. The other place I would disagree is that the labels are cruel, the label of an SpLD is not cruel. What is cruel and misleading is the societal attitude that disability is interchangeable with inability. Hence someone being disabled means they can not do something- therefore label results in laziness. However change that attained to label gives us a piece of information about ourselves. Hence now what can we do to improve it.

Unis do not see if you have extra time or not, his information is protected by the Data Protection Act. Only JCQ +/- the exam board know dependant on the percentage. There are not legally and do not release this information.
Of course it's fair. We're not all born the same and it's our individuality which is what sets us apart. Extra time in some cases is essential due to the underlying medical condition of the student. Of course some students unfairly claim it, but if we were to ban it, a dangerous precedent whereby those with legitimate need would be denied.

If there is some great panacea to cure us all from every condition to make us all the same, throw it away. Our individuality defines us and it's one of the reasons I went into medicine: to see people of all types, ethnicities, ages etc. Many of my peers have extra time and frankly, if I've done my revision and worked hard I don't care if they get more time or not because at the end of the day you get a grade, try to make it the one you want because of YOUR effort YOU put in.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Midgeymoo17
While I accept your point bout laziness as I have seen it happen, the ignorance in this post astronomical. Many people with SpLD's do work very hard to overcome them. Personally I have severe Specific Learning Differences so my extra time allowance if often bigger than that for other people with Dyslexia. However, I am far from lazy. I learnt to read on time.I went to secondary school with my peer group despite spending the last year of primary in hospital mostly. I left school with my peers obtaining A levels significantly above average despite mental health problems in my final year. I had to work significantly harder than many of my peers here. I am only now a year behind by my own choice as I knew I could achieve a bit better. My best friend who has moderate SpLD,s just graduated with a 1st from St Andrews for her Intercalated BSc. Now whilst I give you that the label dyslexia is pretty useless as it is now used too liberally- the statistical methods for Identifying SpLD's are robust. I have had no less than 3 independent assessments and all corroborated my cognitive profile to a high degree of accuracy. Maximum variance of 4 standard scores on IQ scale, which is very small. The bit about middle class parents is a myth. I also think that the line between Physical difficulties and learning differences may not be a clearly defined as you would hope. The other place I would disagree is that the labels are cruel, the label of an SpLD is not cruel. What is cruel and misleading is the societal attitude that disability is interchangeable with inability. Hence someone being disabled means they can not do something- therefore label results in laziness. However change that attained to label gives us a piece of information about ourselves. Hence now what can we do to improve it.

This is often because thats exactly what it is Definition of Dyslexia from Google:"a general term for disorders that involve difficulty in learning to read or interpret words, letters, and other symbols, but that do not affect general intelligence."Difficulty in doing something=low intelligence in that area so from this we can conclude dyslexics literally are dumb at reading but have normal intelligence apart from reading.What also confuses me is why these need more treatment and help than those who are generally just bad at reading and everything else as well how is it fair on them?

Studies have also shown that it is caused by defects in brain processing which is just simply more evidence that it means low intelligence in reading.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's totally fair. As someone going through GCSE's i can easily see why people think its not - they get bitter after bad exam experiences/ hearing people who cheated to get it. Fine, it does get abused sometimes; but they are pretty good nowadays. To be honest teh extra time would not have helped me in any of my GCSE's so I can look from a less biased point of view. People who get extra time deserve and need it - so they should get it.
No people shouldn't get extra time, people should be allowed to do the exams in alternative conditions to help with certain difficulties(just like an employer might do like using a laptop instead of writing on paper) but they shouldn't be given extra time.The reason for this is very simply why would an employer employ someone who produces less work in their 9-5 working hours compared to someone else who produce more work assuming that both people produce the same quality?This isn't some sort of discrimination if a disabled person(with any specific arrangements than I can make possible) can't produce work in the same amount of time and quality as a normal worker then I wouldn't employ them.

I have seen people posting how they need extra time because they take longer to process information but exams are timed and this means part of the assessment is based around how fast people can process information and answer questions so since this ability is tested on the exam then why are people who are bad at this given extra time?A lot of these disabilities are really just saying these people are bad at this skill or another and thus they should lose marks as a result.

I have ADD and severe slow processing. This means it takes me longer to write, harder to concentrate for a long period of time on one thing and basically longer to transfer knowledge from brain to paper which is a side effect of having mild cerebral palsy. This was diagnosed two months into year 13. Throughout my GCSE's and AS's, teachers were completely puzzled as to why I was getting C's, D's and E's despite having a high IQ and getting top grades in untimed questions. For example, in my ICT paper, we were given 2 hours and 15 minutes (plenty for an 80 mark paper), and the questions were fairly short, I finished on time and achieved an A, however, on my politics paper, a mark a minute, a missed out a 40 mark question because I didn't have time to finish it, yet I achieved nearly full marks in the questions I did complete resulting in low grades. Does this mean I am any less intelligent than the person who completed the paper within the time frame?

I now have 50% extra time in my exams, this doesn't give me an advantage believe me, it puts me at the same level as the reasonably competent student and allows me to get the grades that I am capable of. I get why people don't think that extra time is fair, but how frustrated would you be if you spent months revising for exams that you were well capable of acing only to be stopped half way through.

I find that the 'work life' argument is rather weak. Yes we are all given deadlines to some extent, but how often are employees sat down and told to reproduce a year or two's worth of revision in a tight time frame? It cost my parents £400 to 'diagnose' me which is there to try and deter students from abusing the system (although I am aware it still happens) and my mother was also diagnosed despite being in her 50's with a six figure salary so there is a prime example of how unrealistic your argument is.

So, to entertain your point of view, maybe a career based on strict deadlines and high concentration for long periods of time isn't for me,but guess what, theres thousands of careers out there and I'll choose one that suits my working style, however education in this country does't work like that and considering I applied to russell group universities, I gathered A-Levels would be the most realistic option.

Standardised testing has it's flaws and with my conditions, I suffer as a result of those flaws. Extra time shouldn't be awarded to those who don't need it, that is a kick in the face to me and those who work incredibly hard to finish in the snappy time frames. However, the ignorance about extra time is appalling, and maybe you ought to face the realisation that standardised testing is the problem and not extra time. Shouldn't exams be about knowledge rather than speed of completing the exam?
This is often because thats exactly what it is Definition of Dyslexia from Google:"a general term for disorders that involve difficulty in learning to read or interpret words, letters, and other symbols, but that do not affect general intelligence."Difficulty in doing something=low intelligence in that area so from this we can conclude dyslexics literally are dumb at reading but have normal intelligence apart from reading.What also confuses me is why these need more treatment and help than those who are generally just bad at reading and everything else as well how is it fair on them?

Studies have also shown that it is caused by defects in brain processing which is just simply more evidence that it means low intelligence in reading.

This is actually only in part true. Yes processing speed is a cognitive skill, therefore some one with a slow processing speed would normally have a lower IQ than someone with an otherwise identical cognitive profile. However it is only part of the cognitive profile which makes up intelligence. If someones whole profile suggested below average intelligence then extra time is not actually awarded. Yes I have seen someone go to a private Ed Psych deliberately do below average on everything for the Ed Pysch then to write extra time not recommended as no specific difficulty exists this person is just stupid. I will not deny that my slow processing speed (its very slow) does pose its challenges to everything because any piece of information presented needs processing. But taking from my experience in Mathematics whilst I was the slowest to learn/ understand material and needed longer to process the meaning of questions I could often answer questions that most others can not because once I had got my head round the material and question my mastery of the material was far greater (with a numerical manipulation score in the top 5 % of adults). Why should my performance in Maths not adequately be reflected because I had to get past the poorly worded stats question? Here I would predict the categoric counter argument argument that you would not get extra time in the work place- this maybe true but as human beings we tend to gravitate to the jobs that utilise our strengths otherwise one is unlikely to enjoy the job. A such it is highly unlikely you will find someone like me working as a senior emergency room doctor. More likely would work as doctor who reports X-Rays and MRI's where being slow and methodical utilising the patience I will have developed by being a slow processor would serve me well. Hence removing the need for a reasonable adjustment as the adjustment would be inherent in the requirements of the occupation.

And you believe everything you read on Gogle?
I know my friend gets 20 minutes extra time because she broke her hand seriously a few months ago, and after physical therapy and what not, the doctor said her hand wasn't strong enough yet to handle the quick writing she'd need, specifically for the essay-based subjects. I don't mind people getting extra-time, if they generally do need it eg. dyslexia and other learning difficulties, or general diagnosed disabilities...
Original post by Midgeymoo17
Unis do not see if you have extra time or not, his information is protected by the Data Protection Act. Only JCQ +/- the exam board know dependant on the percentage. There are not legally and do not release this information.

Yes they do, the exam boards send more than just you grades....It says in their terms and conditions. Also UCAS mention it as well. The Data Protection Act does not cover what information people can give to one another. Actually the Data Protection Act is worse for people with extra time because it states that "All data must be accuarate, adequate and non-excessive", so people have to know if the exam boards are willing to share that information in which they do.
Reply 433
Yes extra time is necessary for many people as they may be slightly disadvantaged compared to the thousands of people that sit their exams. They may not be able to read or write so the extra time gives them assurance that they can get a high grade.
Yes they do, the exam boards send more than just you grades....It says in their terms and conditions. Also UCAS mention it as well. The Data Protection Act does not cover what information people can give to one another. Actually the Data Protection Act is worse for people with extra time because it states that "All data must be accuarate, adequate and non-excessive", so people have to know if the exam boards are willing to share that information in which they do.

Ok. Lets assume (wrongly) that they do it will no bearing on your application. This I can assure you as I receive time and a half and have had offers from UCL, Birmingham, Durham, Manchester, Liverpool and Cardiff. I can assure none of then knew I had extra time because they we told by JCQ?UCAS. They knew because I put it on my UCAS form and chose to have it there.

Secondly the bit underlined is not entirely accurate otherwise extra time candidates would not have to sign the JCQ Data Protection notice which physically states between which organisations information on extra time can be shared between. Of which no universities are included. However I agree it is sketchy in what can be shared between those organisations as that remains at the discretion of the organisations you have consented to sharing that information.

For the bold bit it would be really nice if you could quote this point from there T&C's, because I think you will find that the Exam Boards do not routinely share access arrangements as this would normally be deemed excessive. However its is likely they will retain the right to do so because certain arrangements would undermine the assessment objectives- such as a Bilateral upper arm amputee being granted exemption from A level Physics Practical Unit as they are unable to complete the practical work themself. As such that would be shared as exemption shows on the Certificate, extra time does not show on the certificate.
Original post by georgia-hughes
I have ADD and severe slow processing. This means it takes me longer to write, harder to concentrate for a long period of time on one thing and basically longer to transfer knowledge from brain to paper which is a side effect of having mild cerebral palsy. This was diagnosed two months into year 13. Throughout my GCSE's and AS's, teachers were completely puzzled as to why I was getting C's, D's and E's despite having a high IQ and getting top grades in untimed questions. For example, in my ICT paper, we were given 2 hours and 15 minutes (plenty for an 80 mark paper), and the questions were fairly short, I finished on time and achieved an A, however, on my politics paper, a mark a minute, a missed out a 40 mark question because I didn't have time to finish it, yet I achieved nearly full marks in the questions I did complete resulting in low grades. Does this mean I am any less intelligent than the person who completed the paper within the time frame?

I now have 50% extra time in my exams, this doesn't give me an advantage believe me, it puts me at the same level as the reasonably competent student and allows me to get the grades that I am capable of. I get why people don't think that extra time is fair, but how frustrated would you be if you spent months revising for exams that you were well capable of acing only to be stopped half way through.

I find that the 'work life' argument is rather weak. Yes we are all given deadlines to some extent, but how often are employees sat down and told to reproduce a year or two's worth of revision in a tight time frame? It cost my parents £400 to 'diagnose' me which is there to try and deter students from abusing the system (although I am aware it still happens) and my mother was also diagnosed despite being in her 50's with a six figure salary so there is a prime example of how unrealistic your argument is.

So, to entertain your point of view, maybe a career based on strict deadlines and high concentration for long periods of time isn't for me,but guess what, theres thousands of careers out there and I'll choose one that suits my working style, however education in this country does't work like that and considering I applied to russell group universities, I gathered A-Levels would be the most realistic option.

Standardised testing has it's flaws and with my conditions, I suffer as a result of those flaws. Extra time shouldn't be awarded to those who don't need it, that is a kick in the face to me and those who work incredibly hard to finish in the snappy time frames and those who don't finish a lot of the questions(I did have a college friend who ended up not being able to complete many of the questions and my mam didn't finish I think most of her O Levels). However, the ignorance about extra time is appalling, and maybe you ought to face the realisation that standardised testing is the problem and not extra time. Shouldn't exams be about knowledge rather than speed of completing the exam?

An employer will want 8 hours work not 6 thats what they are paying you for, tests for graduate schemes that employers will give you often have tight time limits just as exams.As I have said before exams have strict time limits so clearly speed is being assessed and thus slow processing should result in a lower grade.

Your mother didn't get 50% extra time for her exams though?

Giving people extra time makes the test easier(99% of people would probably agree), it makes it substantially easier for people like you as thats the skill you are bad at no longer being tested.I think most students would agree that finishing the test in time is actually a difficult skill that many struggle with and end up not finishing questions or not completing them properly due to rushing and silly mistakes and not enough time to think through the question(I didn't finish 2 of my University exams I didn't miss out that much though).If you got the most difficult exam questions and gave everyone more time I think a lot of people would have cracked them and got them right.

A more reasonable argument would be whether the examination time should be increased so as to not assess speed but I think this is a skill many employers would want and this is indicated by the timed tests they give potential employees.

I also don't really get why these disabilities count as disabilities you have it as a result of getting some bad genes from your parents, students who are very dumb and don't perform well in exams have also got bad genes from their parents/bad environmental factors and those who perform well have got good genes/good environmental factors.If we accounted for genes and environmental factors everyone would probably get about the same and then all the exams would be pointless.
(edited 7 years ago)
My friend gets extra time because he has dyslexia, but he hates it because people tell him he is so lucky to get extra time but in reality would you like to have difficulty in learning to read or interpret words or letters and to be not able to spell simple words. So I believe it is fair.
I have it because I don't know why, but I only use it on certain papers as I am done before normal time most often.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
If you had extra time in your exams, (for those who don't already have it) do you genuinely think you would get significantly better grades?

Yes 100%! Because I can read over my answer 1000000 times to check spelling as well as seeing if I could stick in a * to add some more.

I feel getting extra time is fair, but only for some people. Others clearly lie about their abilities...

Giving people extra time makes the test easier(99% of people would probably agree), it makes it substantially easier for people like you as thats the skill you are bad at no longer being tested.I think most students would agree that finishing the test in time is actually a difficult skill that many struggle with and end up not finishing questions or not completing them properly due to rushing and silly mistakes and not enough time to think through the question(I didn't finish 2 of my University exams I didn't miss out that much though).If you got the most difficult exam questions and gave everyone more time I think a lot of people would have cracked them and got them right.

Extra time doesn't make the test easier. It gives me extra time to understand and fully read the question properly. It also means I'm not having to rush so much. I read slowly due to a sight condition I have. I'm also Autistic, which causes problems with how I understand language, meaning as well as reading slower than most people due to partial sight, I've got to read the question several times to actually understand it. Therefore, the extra time doesn't actually make it easier. It just puts me on a more level playing field as everyone else.

A more reasonable argument would be whether the examination time should be increased so as to not assess speed but I think this is a skill many employers would want and this is indicated by the timed tests they give potential employees.

Extra time is a reasonable adjustment.

I also don't really get why these disabilities count as disabilities you have it as a result of getting some bad genes from your parents, students who are very dumb and don't perform well in exams have also got bad genes from their parents/bad environmental factors and those who perform well have got good genes/good environmental factors.If we accounted for genes and environmental factors everyone would probably get about the same and then all the exams would be pointless.

What the hell? Aside from my brain injury and hearing loss, all my disabilities are genetic. According to your bizarre logic, they're not disabilities, because they're genetic. Most people with one of my genetic conditions, go blind in their 30s.

I get the impression that you're just very bitter. You really have no idea how lucky you are that you don't need extra time or rest breaks, in order to do your exams.

Latest