The Student Room Group

How have this year's GCSE examinations been? What was the hardest/easiest?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rcmack
theres only so much you can do, trust me

what do you mean? please explain more in deatill, becuase i was thinking of revising earlier as i thought it will give me a headstart
Original post by CorpusLuteum
It's better but you get bored.

thats why you revise more stuff, or something different!
Easiest: French, Further Maths Unit 1, Chemistry Unit 1
Hardest: English, Biology (my weakest subjects)

Advice:
- I skipped days thinking that I still had plenty of time. The truth is, I didn't! Each day matters and every past paper or set of revision cards you do adds up.
- Past papers, past papers, past papers!
Original post by theBranicAc
thats why you revise more stuff, or something different!

Nah, it all just gets boring.
Easiest: psychology unit 2 , chemistry paper 2 and english lang, biology paper 1

Hardest: physics paper 1

advice: like others have said, dont start revising too early and too much, thats what i did for chem and days before the examination i literally gave up - just looking at chemistry past papers was enough to make me stress out
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 25
Hardest: OCR Physics p1 p2 p3
Easiest: OCR Chem c1 c2 c3 / edexcel maths paper 2 :tongue:
Probably the only one who found every single exam hard 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sortient
I find that the earlier you start, the more likely you are to forget stuff.

that is true , but during lessons in school it would be a reminder, or you could revisit it every week or so
Advice: Enjoy school lessons now, because during exams season you cram the whole course into one night so whatever happened in class did not help me at all...
Original post by theBranicAc
that is true , but during lessons in school it would be a reminder, or you could revisit it every week or so

I disagree. I feel like if lessons in school served as a reminder like you say, there wouldn't be any need to revise. You would know it already.
(I actually still have one more exam on Tuesday but I'll give my opinions so far)

Easisest exams were Chemistry Unit 1 and 2, Maths Calculator (flew through that one!)

Hardest exams were Biology Unit 1, German Listening and Physics Unit 3

Advice for those Year 10's:
1) Try to do as many past papers as you can! The more practice the better! Especially the latest ones!
2) For subjects like science and the humanities, make mindmaps or revision summaries once you've finished learning each topic at school. I wish I had did this all along the way so I'd have some completed things of my own to revise from :smile:
3) When doing mocks in Year 10 and 11, actually revise those thorughly!! Especially for science, it'll help soo much!! If you've revised them well enough, they'll stay in your brain and you will require less time for revising that topic and more time for other things!
@Luciee @CorpusLuteum @Anmol_. @nisha.sri @theBranicAc @rcmack @karmacrunch @Sortient @SugarBubbles2000

Hey everyone. Please stop worrying! I'm sure all of you will do well. Look forward to the A-levels ok? If you lose motivation and need inspiration please read on about this guy from Pakistan who made it to Cambridge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Moeen_Nawazish

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/4398668/Teenager-gains-22-A-levels-in-12-months.html

[video="youtube;EbH_dWWIE1Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbH_dWWIE1Q[/video]
Original post by Audrey18
@Luciee @CorpusLuteum @Anmol_. @nisha.sri @theBranicAc @rcmack @karmacrunch @Sortient @SugarBubbles2000

Hey everyone. Please stop worrying! I'm sure all of you will do well. Look forward to the A-levels ok? If you lose motivation and need inspiration please read on about this guy from Pakistan who made it to Cambridge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Moeen_Nawazish

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/4398668/Teenager-gains-22-A-levels-in-12-months.html

[video="youtube;EbH_dWWIE1Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbH_dWWIE1Q[/video]

...My god that is crazy. How is that even possible??
Original post by Jamie Vardy
Vote on the poll.

What were your hardest and easiest exams?

What advice do you have for next year's candidates?

Hardest: Physics P456
Easiest: RE Paper 1
Weirdest: History Germany
Tricksy: English Literature Paper 1
Beautiful: English Literature Paper 2
Surprisingly Easy: Maths Paper 2
Surprisingly Hard: History of Warfare
Just Right; Biology B456
Original post by Marshall Taylor
Advice: Enjoy school lessons now, because during exams season you cram the whole course into one night so whatever happened in class did not help me at all...

I can relate to this so much literally what i did for all my exams...
Hardest: maths non calc, first eng lit paper, C3 (did not revise though) and computing.
Easiest: the rest of them were really easy very pleased!:smile:

Advice to yr 10: please do not procrastinate! I told myself i would start revising in jan but ended up revising the entire exam content for every exam the night before! For some exams i did not even revise but i found them surprisingly easy. But still i just had a stroke of luck so not recommended.

But do not panic you will be fine and they are easier than you think!
Best of luck!x :biggrin:
Original post by CorpusLuteum
Biggest mistake made this academic year.

I'm the opposite. I wish I started revising earlier, even though I had been "revising" making flashcards and what not all throughout the year. I wish I started memorising earlier because I crammed a lot the nigh before for majority of my exams :s-smilie:
Easiest- C1, C2, B2, Media,
Hardest- FRENCH :frown:, P2, P3, and maybe maths
Reply 38
Original post by mxskaan
Probably the only one who found every single exam hard 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Hardest ones were probably my English Lit exam and Mandarin Listening :tongue:

Easiest ones were Greek Prose and Latin Language 2 :smile:

Best tip that worked miracles for me is: Procrastinate by revising something else :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest