The Student Room Group

Leadsom will be our next PM: Here's why...

We are living in extraordinary, unpredictable times, and watching history unfold with each passing day. You may not find this very comfortable, but will admit, I expect, that it is very interesting.

Prepare for the next shock. An almost untried and tested, Christian right winger is going to become our next PM. You heard it here first, and if I am wrong, please feel free to resurrect this thread to point it out to me.

Why?

Theresa May is my MP, I have met her a couple of times, she was very useful to me on a constituency matter once, and I have always found her very charming and effective

She is a proven Minister, tough, capable, with the support of the overwhelming majority of her MP's, the media, (even Rupert Murdoch's Sun came out for her today) and the bookies. She is a shoo in, surely, Shirley?

THAT is the reason she won't win, I posit. What we are witnessing is a revolt on the right. A popular rebellion against the establishment, the political class, the media, the London elite. And it isn't quite done yet.

Theresa made a huge mistake not coming out for Brexit. If she had she would be the next PM, no question. But this referendum is all about immigration and she has signally failed as Home Secretary to make any impact on that at all, (the reverse), and that will be held against her, along with the fact that when she had to choose she picked the wrong side. The establishment side.

The Tory Party are far more right wing than the Parliamentary Party. They are a mirror image of the Corbynistas actually. I don't know if Leadsom has what it takes to be a PM. Few people do, Major, Blair, Brown and Cameron were all conspicuous failures.

But I hate to be break it to you. This revolution is not yet done, and we are going to see her try.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by generallee
I don't know if Leadsom has what it takes to be a PM. Few people do, Major, Blair, Brown and Cameron were all conspicuous failures.

Brown aside, disagree there.

If Blair hadn't done Iraq he'd be revered as one of the best PMs in recent history, Major wasn't bad, just had an awkward act to follow and, EU referendum aside, Cameron's done a good job too.

Sure, they might not to be everyone's tastes, but to call them conspicuous failures is ridiculous and baseless.

And disagree with you on Leadsome. Don't think she'll get there. It'll probably be closer than the MP vote, but May will get in.
(edited 7 years ago)
At least Leadsom has a vision for brexit and the guts to rebel when it looked like leave would lose
Original post by Drewski
Brown aside, disagree there.

If Blair hadn't done Iraq he'd be revered as one of the best PMs in recent history, Major wasn't bad, just had an awkward act to follow and, EU referendum aside, Cameron's done a good job too.

Don't see how Brown was a 'conspicuous failure' in anything but public relations.
Reply 4
A right-wing unelected Tory as the next PM is the outcome of the "people's revolt."

Wow, great job guys.
Reply 5
I'd actually quite like Andrea Leadsom to become PM. Hate hate hate that bloody Theresa May, and so glad that bell end Gove is out the picture!
It's going to be the full Corbyn, the grassroots wont agree with the party and we've ditched experts anyway so... :s-smilie:
Original post by james813
At least Leadsom has a vision for brexit and the guts to rebel when it looked like leave would lose

Does she though?

Churning out platitudes and cliches does not constitute a vision.

If she knows what her renegotiation priorities are, if she knows what kind of relationship she wants with the EU, if she knows how to retain tariff-free trade with the EU without any concessions, then why has she not mentioned any of this?

Her backers have vaguely stated that she has "a third way". Well what is this third way, and why have we heard nothing about it?

If she does have a vision, she doesn't seem keen on sharing it with us.
Reply 8
No way, me too! I also had work experience in her office on the week she announced her leadership. I can quite see your point but Theresa has played it smart, my initial thought before brexit would be she runs when David Cameron resigns which would've been like 2018 if we had remained or not had the referendum and that was what she was focused on so she played it smart and kept in the middle ground, she was a eurosceptic and barely backed remain, she got called out for it a few times. So which ever way it went she was covered, I must disagree with you and say the Conservative party and it's members are really behind this whole One Nation conservatism thing, had the vote been after the 3 month limit so new members could vote, I might've agreed since brexiters would back her
I'd be very very VERY VERY happy if Andrea Leadsom becomes our next PM
I'm actually banking that the Conservative grassroots will be smarter than the Labourite ones and pick someone that can actually win a General Election rather than just panders to their niche issues.

We will see.
Original post by Supersaps
I'm actually banking that the Conservative grassroots will be smarter than the Labourite ones and pick someone that can actually win a General Election rather than just panders to their niche issues.

We will see.

It doesn't matter who the Tories pick. They could appoint Mr Toad of Toad Hall as Leader and win an election with Labour so viscerally unpopular.
Original post by james813

But does she have the guts to stand up for the compromises she is going to have to make?
Reply 13
Doubt it. She walked in to The Times motherhood trap in a very Sarah Pallin sort of way.
Reply 14
[QUOTE=generallee;66335094]It doesn't matter who the Tories pick. They could appoint Mr Toad of Toad Hall as Leader and win an election with Labour so viscerally unpopular.
Don't worry the election is far enough away for David Milliband to come back and then wipe the floor with them.
>implying the Torys are anything but centre-left

Genuine Conservatism has been dead for years.

Either way, I'm hoping #IronAndrea will get in.
The first thing about winning an election is that people need to know who you are, and no-one knows who that other woman is.

The Blessed Mother Theresa of St Hugh's Oxford, however, is a household name even for the atheists.
Original post by generallee
We are living in extraordinary, unpredictable times, and watching history unfold with each passing day. You may not find this very comfortable, but will admit, I expect, that it is very interesting.

Prepare for the next shock. An almost untried and tested, Christian right winger is going to become our next PM. You heard it here first, and if I am wrong, please feel free to resurrect this thread to point it out to me.

Why?

Theresa May is my MP, I have met her a couple of times, she was very useful to me on a constituency matter once, and I have always found her very charming and effective

She is a proven Minister, tough, capable, with the support of the overwhelming majority of her MP's, the media, (even Rupert Murdoch's Sun came out for her today) and the bookies. She is a shoo in, surely, Shirley?

THAT is the reason she won't win, I posit. What we are witnessing is a revolt on the right. A popular rebellion against the establishment, the political class, the media, the London elite. And it isn't quite done yet.

Theresa made a huge mistake not coming out for Brexit. If she had she would be the next PM, no question. But this referendum is all about immigration and she has signally failed as Home Secretary to make any impact on that at all, (the reverse), and that will be held against her, along with the fact that when she had to choose she picked the wrong side. The establishment side.

The Tory Party are far more right wing than the Parliamentary Party. They are a mirror image of the Corbynistas actually. I don't know if Leadsom has what it takes to be a PM. Few people do, Major, Blair, Brown and Cameron were all conspicuous failures.

But I hate to be break it to you. This revolution is not yet done, and we are going to see her try.

Theresa has no children... unlike "stake in the future" Andrea.*
I have faith that the Tory Party will make the right decision. While there are certainly some Shire Tory members who throff at the mouth over the EU the OP is forgetting that the rise of Ukip means that the nutters have left the party whereas with Labour's £3 rule, they were being waved through the door and into the party.

I'd be lying if i said i trusted my comrades entirely however i'm still pretty confident that the members will elect May as Prime Minister.
Original post by ByEeek
But does she have the guts to stand up for the compromises she is going to have to make?

such as?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending