The Student Room Group

Brilliant GCSEs to Terrible A-levels

Snooty GCSE kiddies have me super bitter, please share stories of people doing excellent in GCSEs then falling flat on their face in A-levels. Bonus points if they kept banging on about Oxbridge.

1471231469955.jpg

Scroll to see replies

This is the most positive thread I've seen on TSR

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bumpity
I can't really say any from personal experience but I've seen plenty of people on this forum talk about getting A*'s in Maths and then getting E's in AS due to terrible work ethic
I'm guessing you did poorly in your gcses?:s-smilie:
Original post by Jono-Wolf
I'm guessing you did poorly in your gcses?:s-smilie:

Bingo

I'm not bitter.jpg
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Bingo

I'm not bitter.jpg

What did you get?
Original post by edothero
I'm the opposite; I managed to scrape 6 A*-C at GCSEs (incl A in Maths and C in Eng Lang).

Ended up with A*AAC at A-Level: Maths, Further Maths, Graphics and Spanish respectively. (I was forced to take Graphics and Spanish because those were the only GCSEs, other than Maths, that I got higher than/a B in :laugh:)

Didn't get me Oxbridge though lmao. Infact I was rejected by Imperial and UCL. Fun times

Those are stellar grades, how did UCL reject you.
Original post by AngryRedhead
What did you get?

1A* 4A 4B 3C

Not bad nationally, but on TSR 98% of people have better than me. I've only seen like 3 people with worse grades than me, and I've been on this site for nearly a year.
(edited 7 years ago)
1A* 4A 4B 3C

Not bad nationally, but on TSR 98% of people have better than me. I've only seen like 3 people with worse grades than me, and I've been on this site for nearly a year.

You have similar GCSE grades to myself (1 A*, 4 A's, 4 B's and 1 E) quite good for my secondary but as you say average on TSR but I still managed to hit A* grades in some of my A2 modules. It's all about work ethic and context. Don't feel inferior because of your GCSE grades you can still get A*'s in your A-Levels if you really try :wink:
Reply 10
You can feel better at my misfortune if you'd like. 5A* 7As at GCSE to CDD at AS to BCC at A2.

I also had hopes to study medicine at UCL or Imperial, once upon a time.

Spoiler

Reply 11
That's what I've seen happen, I was someone who had to put in LOADS of effort at GCSE to get pretty good grades, and because I was used to working so hard, A Levels went very well for me. I think that people who try incredibly hard at GCSE and get mostly As and Bs are in the best position going forward. So many people breeze through GCSEs and get a shock at A Level

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did horrifically at GCSE's

I got 2 B's 4C's 1 F and 1 E

Went to college to do Business and got Distinctions across the board don't ever let anybody tell you that GCSE's are everything they truly aren't.

In my final year of a Business Management degree now.

I don't even have a Math's GCSE at Grade C i got a F.

And i work...lol don't listen to these clowns who tell you grades are everything.
(edited 7 years ago)
1A* 4A 4B 3C

I'm sure there's plenty of us, I got 2 A's 3 B's 5 C's and I didn't even make it to my January AS exams.
Reply 14
Original post by AngryRedhead
You have similar GCSE grades to myself (1 A*, 4 A's, 4 B's and 1 E) quite good for my secondary but as you say average on TSR but I still managed to hit A* grades in some of my A2 modules. It's all about work ethic and context. Don't feel inferior because of your GCSE grades you can still get A*'s in your A-Levels if you really try :wink:

What were your subjects?
1A* 4A 4B 3C

That's pretty good! Just bang out your A levels and you can still get into most Unis!
One of my mates got 6 A*s and 6 As however at AS she got BDDE.

Someone else I knew had 7 A* at GCSE but EEEU at AS.
Reply 17
im so academic

That train wreck was so entertaining.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Loads of people who did well at GCSE in my school dun goof'd at AS
But most of them picked it back up at A2
Original post by alow
im so academic

That train wreck was so entertaining.

Ah! What happened? I haven't been on here for a long time but I remember them going on and on and on about grades.*

Quick Reply

Latest