The Student Room Group

Cancelling Student Loan Help

I was meant to be going to university this October and so applied for a maintenance loan and tuition fee loan.

However, due to unforeseen circumstances, I am now having to take a gap year for medical reasons.How do I go about cancelling my loans?
Reply 1
Original post by Platopus
I was meant to be going to university this October and so applied for a maintenance loan and tuition fee loan.

However, due to unforeseen circumstances, I am now having to take a gap year for medical reasons.How do I go about cancelling my loans?

Don't panic. Your SF payments are only triggered when you turn up at uni and enrol at the start of the degree. If you don't do that, then you don't get any loans.

Just give SF a call and they can sort it out at their end. As long as the uni also knows that you're deferring, that's the job done.
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88
Don't panic. Your SF payments are only triggered when you turn up at uni and enrol at the start of the degree. If you don't do that, then you don't get any loans.

Just give SF a call and they can sort it out at their end. As long as the uni also knows that you're deferring, that's the job done.

Thank you :smile: was freaking out about getting lumped with extra debt because UCAS has updated, but my SF account has not. Will call SF now.
Reply 3
Spent almost an hour on the phone with a man who didn't know anything so kept putting me on hold every 5 seconds and forgot everything I'd told him previously when he did come back on the line.

He called me Kimberley (not my name!) every time he did speak to me which got awkward after about the 20th time. But, he said he was going to cancel my loans. Let's hope he does cancel my loans, and not some poor unsuspecting girl called Kimberley across the country somewhere :biggrin:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending