The Student Room Group

16 and still not doing anything post-16 (i.e. Apprenticeship, studying etc.)

I got 10 GCSEs; 2As, 6Bs and 2Cs. I am still waiting on getting a retail job (don't call me dumb, I'm funding a couple of A-levels that I will study for at home; I need online tuition). Hopefully, I'll be doing Maths and Business. In terms of UCAS points, I should be doing a third in 2018 (due to the high prices). If I don't get a job soon, my dad will subsidise me and I'll pay him back once the money is available.

My mum wants me to do an apprenticeship and my dad doesn't mind. Which is better? I feel as if I'm more capable of doing a couple of A-levels. Don't ask about why I didn't go to Sixth Form (I'm sick of going to school).

Thank you in advance.
Original post by FIFA 17
I got 10 GCSEs; 2As, 6Bs and 2Cs. I am still waiting on getting a retail job (don't call me dumb, I'm funding a couple of A-levels that I will study for at home; I need online tuition). Hopefully, I'll be doing Maths and Business. In terms of UCAS points, I should be doing a third in 2018 (due to the high prices). If I don't get a job soon, my dad will subsidise me and I'll pay him back once the money is available.

My mum wants me to do an apprenticeship and my dad doesn't mind. Which is better? I feel as if I'm more capable of doing a couple of A-levels. Don't ask about why I didn't go to Sixth Form (I'm sick of going to school).

Thank you in advance.

Homestudy however many A-Levels you want then try for a job. It will be easier after gaining A-Levels.
Reply 2
Original post by Oxidation
Homestudy however many A-Levels you want then try for a job. It will be easier after gaining A-Levels.

Apprenticeship is the completely wrong option then, right? I'm good at Maths and stuff like that.
If your good at maths, why not self teach maths and further maths at home? They are fairly easy to self teach and can be done cheaply using websites/old textbooks.

What do you actually want to do tho in terms of a career/job?
Reply 4
Original post by HopelessMedic
If your good at maths, why not self teach maths and further maths at home? They are fairly easy to self teach and can be done cheaply using websites/old textbooks.

What do you actually want to do tho in terms of a career/job?

I'm not entirely sure but I'd like to go down the business route.
Original post by FIFA 17

Ok, and going to college is definitely not an option?
Original post by FIFA 17
Apprenticeship is the completely wrong option then, right? I'm good at Maths and stuff like that.

If you want a maths related job, do your A-Levels then work or maybe go to university.
Original post by FIFA 17

Apprenticeship in business could be pretty good, bring in some money and earn a qualification.

Posted from TSR Mobile
An apprenticeship would be perfect for you. In the meantime though, you need to give your CV a boost - off to a charity shop with you.
It doesn't have to be an either/or decision. You can study for A levels now, then get an A level-stage apprenticeship after you finish. I think they're really worthwhile to do, but getting your A levels now while you can might help you out a lot in the future e.g. if you're looking for a job change, and your competitors have the edge because they did maths A level or something. So that's what I'd recommend, and you can use some of your time now to do more research on apprenticeships and what other things you can do to secure one in 1-2 years time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending