The Student Room Group

Anyone got pregnant on contraceptives?

Hello has anyone ever gotten pregnant on the mini pill, implant?
I never miss a pill but have head of people (mainly on net mums lol) getting pregnant whilst on the pill!? scared as I have just started taking a POP pill and can no longer take the combined or oestrogen containing contraceptives.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I never miss a pill but have head of people (mainly on net mums lol) getting pregnant whilst on the pill!? scared as I have just started taking a POP pill and can no longer take the combined or oestrogen containing contraceptives.

Since I'm male I obviously haven't been pregnant, but I can inform you that it is more than possible for contraceptives to fail. There is no known method of contraception that does no the have a failure rate, although pills are often in the 98-99% success area. I wouldn't be as scared about it as you are: they are pretty reliable, and you can double up with an additional contraceptive (e.g condom) if you want pretty much guaranteed safety.
I don't think it's possible to conceive if you take the pills regularly.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

Original post by DanielOH
Since I'm male I obviously haven't been pregnant, but I can inform you that it is more than possible for contraceptives to fail. There is no known method of contraception that does no the have a failure rate, although pills are often in the 98-99% success area. I wouldn't be as scared about it as you are: they are pretty reliable, and you can double up with an additional contraceptive (e.g condom) if you want pretty much guaranteed safety.

Daniel OH is correct, there is always a chance of failure but it is very small with the pill. You can check it for your specific pill on the leaflet that comes in the box. And you can use condoms too to reduce chances further (and also protect against STIs if you're not in a long term monogamous relationship).

The main thing to watch out for is to make sure no other medication you're taking can interfere with the pill - you can do this by asking your pharmacist or checking the leaflet when taking over the counter things, and making sure the nurse or doctor prescribing your pill knows about all other medicines you're taking. If you get prescribed different medicine by a different doctor, or given anything (even down to anaesthetic injections at the dentist) then always make them aware that you're on the pill and they can tell you what effect if any what you're being given may have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The main reason there's a difference in reliability between the combined pill and a progesterone-only 'mini pill' is the way you have to take most of the latter types within a couple of hours of the same time every day. Not everyone can do that and failure can lead to ovulation and, if you have sex at the right / wrong time, pregnancy.

If you can do that, you're primarily looking at things like interactions with other drugs, including 'natural' remedies like St John's Wort, or vomiting within an hour or so of taking it and then not relying on other contraception for a week.

Even having a sterilisation op doesn't come with a 100% guarantee. The nearest any single method comes to that is the implant and if you're fine with progesterone-based contraception, you could look at that.
Reply 5
Thanks for your replies everyone. I take Cerazette every day at the same time without fail (9am) and haven't been sick so far and had no upset stomachs as well as not taking any other medications known to interact.

Quick Reply

Latest