The Student Room Group

Am I still employable?

Hi everyone!

I am 19 years old, currently finishing off an extra year of sixth form. I took up a part time job in September at my local bakery, but left after 10 days as I was struggling with the mental maths on the cash register, and didn't believe my strengths were there. I had a conversation with the manager about this, and she was very friendly and understanding. Because it had been a tough day, and I kept making mistakes, I left after the conversation on good terms with all. However, in applying for another part time job setting up exam tables, I have had to explain all of this.

After having to leave the job at the Bakery, I decided to use my skills better elsewhere. I currently volunteer at my local Oxfam Book Shop, and my skills on a modern till are very strong. I also get to be around books as an aspiring literature student. In addition, I have taken up a weekly work experience placement at my old secondary school to get some more experience in teaching.

I have had other notable past employment experiences. I worked two summers at my local riding school before being of the age where I had to be paid. I also delivered magazines for over a year.

However, I am really worried! I am applying to university, and hoping to get a part time job when I go there. I would love to work in a supermarket or retail, but hospitality was a struggle.

Will leaving the job at the Bakery hold me back? Will I be held back in part time positions, and even full time positions in the future?
Reply 1
You do not need to include the bakery on any future job application. You were only there 10 days, do not need it for a reference and and do not need to explain a "gap" in you CV as you are still at college. Use your Oxfam experience in any application and ask the shop manager if she is happy to give you a reference when you apply for jobs at university.
Best of luck
Frankly, you needn't even put in your CV. It was for 10 days, and you were studying at the time. No employer is even going to bat an eyelid, especially if it was your first job. Even if it isn't your first job, employment gaps are fine given that you are studying.
Just leave it off your CV and don't mention it.
It'll only affect you if you let it.
Frankly, you needn't even put in your CV. It was for 10 days, and you were studying at the time. No employer is even going to bat an eyelid, especially if it was your first job. Even if it isn't your first job, employment gaps are fine given that you are studying.
Original post by HannahBanana2
Hi everyone!

I am 19 years old, currently finishing off an extra year of sixth form. I took up a part time job in September at my local bakery, but left after 10 days as I was struggling with the mental maths on the cash register, and didn't believe my strengths were there. I had a conversation with the manager about this, and she was very friendly and understanding. Because it had been a tough day, and I kept making mistakes, I left after the conversation on good terms with all. However, in applying for another part time job setting up exam tables, I have had to explain all of this.

After having to leave the job at the Bakery, I decided to use my skills better elsewhere. I currently volunteer at my local Oxfam Book Shop, and my skills on a modern till are very strong. I also get to be around books as an aspiring literature student. In addition, I have taken up a weekly work experience placement at my old secondary school to get some more experience in teaching.

I have had other notable past employment experiences. I worked two summers at my local riding school before being of the age where I had to be paid. I also delivered magazines for over a year.

However, I am really worried! I am applying to university, and hoping to get a part time job when I go there. I would love to work in a supermarket or retail, but hospitality was a struggle.

Will leaving the job at the Bakery hold me back? Will I be held back in part time positions, and even full time positions in the future?

You will ofc be employable. You even finished on good terms.

If it was the maths that caught you out and you are weak then maybe do some more functional maths study?

It sounds to me you just got flustered and that compounded itself, so more a case of nerves rather than ability. As they all said just miss it off and no need to refer to it. Dont let it build up to more than it was and notch it down to experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending