The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

2017 Uni of Bristol applicants mega-thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by isabelle99
You don't have to declare them. How would they know if you didn't?

You do have to declare them, otherwise your application may be considered fraudulant and at any time during the application process, or later when at university, your application and/or place and/or awarded degree can be withdrawn.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4337910
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by Wisefire
Is it likely I'd get 5 rejections if I apply to universities such as Bristol, Manchester, Durham, Nottingham or KCL with an Access to HE Diploma qualification?

If you meet the stated Access requirements for those Unis then you have a very strong chance of an offer. All Unis like mature students. So stop worrying and keep your fingers crossed for you first offer. PS. What subject are you applying for?
Original post by isabelle99
You don't have to declare them. How would they know if you didn't?

Because the exam boards send results data to UCAS - and they check to see if that matches what you have declared. Be very careful - both UCAS and the Unis take this sort of blatant fraud very seriously.
Hey,

I'm a gap year student and have been given an unconditional place to study dentistry for 2017 entry. I've pretty much been to one open day annually for the past four years but most recently went to the september one this year; perhaps I saw some of you there? :smile:
I fell in love with the city and the university's layout and course structure. I am also pretty local anyway; I feel like Bristol is my second home.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi all :smile: I really want to apply for Bristol but I'm not sure it's even worth getting my hopes up about it. At AS I got BCD, and I'm currently predicted ABC for a course that needs ABB (contextual offer). On the admissions statement they say that it's 20% grades and 80% personal statement and I think I have a pretty strong one (NCS, putting on my own play which I co-wrote as apart of a Gold Arts Award, 4 day work experience with arguably the best film production company in the UK - Working Title Film - and lastly an upcoming internship with Sell A Door Theatre Productions, who are a leading touring production theatre company).

I think the reason I did so poorly in my AS' is because of undiagnosed ADHD (I'm halfway through a diagnosis - just need to do a formal test). AS and A Level are obviously a huge jump up in the amount of independent work you have to do, which is kind of my weakness. If it turns out I do have ADHD, I do want to tell universities via my reference... But I really, really don't like my form tutor, who would be writing it. I just don't want to share something like a developmental disorder diagnosis with him. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet.

I don't know, lol. I guess this is more just what's been on my mind. Anyone got any insight?
Reply 125
Didn't attend Open Day.
Medicine.
A*A*A GCSE: 7A*, 3A
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sleepymoritz
Hi all :smile: I really want to apply for Bristol but I'm not sure it's even worth getting my hopes up about it. At AS I got BCD, and I'm currently predicted ABC for a course that needs ABB (contextual offer). On the admissions statement they say that it's 20% grades and 80% personal statement and I think I have a pretty strong one (NCS, putting on my own play which I co-wrote as apart of a Gold Arts Award, 4 day work experience with arguably the best film production company in the UK - Working Title Film - and lastly an upcoming internship with Sell A Door Theatre Productions, who are a leading touring production theatre company).

I think the reason I did so poorly in my AS' is because of undiagnosed ADHD (I'm halfway through a diagnosis - just need to do a formal test). AS and A Level are obviously a huge jump up in the amount of independent work you have to do, which is kind of my weakness. If it turns out I do have ADHD, I do want to tell universities via my reference... But I really, really don't like my form tutor, who would be writing it. I just don't want to share something like a developmental disorder diagnosis with him. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet.

I don't know, lol. I guess this is more just what's been on my mind. Anyone got any insight?

Where does it say 20% grades, and 80% ps?
Original post by mahmzo
Where does it say 20% grades, and 80% ps?

Every course is different. For Aero it's 20% GCSEs 80% A-levels.

Google : Bristol Admissions Statement 2017 (your course)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

I was somewhat in your position last year - my mum has been diagnosed with breast cancer twice now (once during my GCSEs and most recently during my A2 exams) and my dad was confirmed to have ADHD. There is a way that Bristol university recognises and I'm pretty certain that you don't have to tell your form tutor any intricate details.
Is the contextual offer due to the school you attend? I know that for my course I needed AAA but they were willing to reconsider grades as I had obviously had two difficult years within my studies - I believe AAB would have sufficed to get me in but I ended up getting higher than that anyway.

Try filling this out:
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/applicants/applied/extenuating-circumstances/

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Every course is different. For Aero it's 20% GCSEs 80% A-levels.

Google : Bristol Admissions Statement 2017 (your course)

Posted from TSR Mobile

That means they dont look at my personal statement? Also do they look at AS grades

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mahmzo
That means they dont look at my personal statement? Also do they look at AS grades

Posted from TSR Mobile

Read the admissions statement for your course.

And, no.
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/university/governance/policies/admissions/14-19qualifications-changes.html
"we do not expect to introduce a requirement for AS-levels to be taken and do not plan to use them as part of the process to select applicants."

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi,

I've applied for Mathematics and Computer Science and have just received an email from the Computer Science department at Bristol inviting me to attend a 'visit day' on October 26. As I have already visited Bristol on open day, is it necessary that I attend this? I can't see much point on doing what is essentially another open day, especially considering I have already applied to the university.

Thanks for any responses.
Original post by dfbenjamin
Hi,

I've applied for Mathematics and Computer Science and have just received an email from the Computer Science department at Bristol inviting me to attend a 'visit day' on October 26. As I have already visited Bristol on open day, is it necessary that I attend this? I can't see much point on doing what is essentially another open day, especially considering I have already applied to the university.

Thanks for any responses.

They aren't compulsory, but you do tend to get a better look around the dept than on a general open day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the reason I did so poorly in my AS' is because of undiagnosed ADHD (I'm halfway through a diagnosis - just need to do a formal test).

Bristol dont look at AS levels, just your final A level predictions. If you have genuine mitigating circumstances and think this will have an impact on your final grades (you would have to have doctor's/teacher's letters etc to back this up) then see : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/applicants/applied/extenuating-circumstances/
Original post by returnmigrant
Bristol dont look at AS levels, just your final A level predictions. If you have genuine mitigating circumstances and think this will have an impact on your final grades (you would have to have doctor's/teacher's letters etc to back this up) then see : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/applicants/applied/extenuating-circumstances/

I am predicted AAA and the contexual requirements (which i am eligible for) are AAA. However the original requirements are A*AA.

Am I likely to get an offer, or does it go down to the PS (However on my course there is no weighting on PS).

Also my gcses were average, not amazing.
Original post by mahmzo

Am I likely to get an offer, or does it go down to the PS (However on my course there is no weighting on PS).
Also my gcses were average, not amazing.

Your application will be assessed and ranked against others, and you may or may not get an offer depending on the competition.
Original post by soooo0
How seriously do they consider GCSE grades? I didn't do too great in mine because of personal issues but my AS grades were good (AABB) and my predicted grades are A*AA. I'm applying for Psychology in Education.

Hi :smile: I'm also applying for psychology in education! Not sure how much they look at GCSEs but I know they look at predicted grades and yours are above the entry requirements so I'm think you'll be fine. What other unis/courses are you applying for? x
I'm applying for Bristol Neuroscience, I already have A*AA in English, History and Biology respectively... I'm doing another year in Chem and Psychology, with A*A predictions:smile: I've also submitted extenuating circumstances to the dept, but I'm wondering if anyone's heard of unconditional from Bristol? I need either Chem or Psychology to meet the official course requirements, but have I got any chance of an unconditional?
I sent my ucas off yesterday. Predicted AAA, the normal offer is A*AA ( but contexual is AAA which my school falls in ).

How likely am i to get an offer for aerospace engineering

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone got an offer for Econ and Politics yet? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending