The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ladies and gents can I just ask a Q? Do any of you use your REAL name on your blogs??? Just watching someone on youtube, and from all the videos, blogs, tweets and etc, she goes by the name 'Ingrid'. That I assumed was her own name. But just watching her ''What's in my purse video'' (yes, I am nosey :ninjagirl: lol), she said, with regards to her driving licence, ''I'm not going to show you that because that'll give away my real name and what state I live in''.

Now am I right in thinking perhaps using your real name isn't such a wise idea or does it really not matter, so long as you've not given out your full address and full name (middle name and surname)??

My blog contains my ''pet name'', which many have called me for yearsss, since I was a child. Although my real name isn't that far off my pet name. .ho hmmm. I'm just wondering whether or not I should change it or leave it how it is @ the moment . . .Any thoughts on the matter?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DancinBallerina
Ladies and gents can I just ask a Q? Do any of you use your REAL name on your blogs??? Just watching someone on youtube, and from all the videos, blogs, tweets and etc, she goes by the name 'Ingrid'. That I assumed was her own name. But just watching her ''What's in my purse video'' (yes, I am nosey :ninjagirl: lol), she said, with regards to her driving licence, ''I'm not going to show you that because that'll give away my real name and what state I live in''.

Now am I right in thinking perhaps using your real name isn't such a wise idea or does it really not matter, so long as you've not given out your full address and full name (middle name and surname)??

My blog contains my ''pet name'', which many have called me for yearsss, since I was a child. Although my real name isn't that far off my pet name. .ho hmmm. I'm just wondering whether or not I should change it or leave it how it is @ the moment . . .Any thoughts on the matter?

Totally up to you. I use my real name on my blog only my first name though.
Does anyone know where i can get a code for mini buttons? like little buttons all in the same row for twitter, email, following etc etc? I want to use them so as not to take up so much room in my sidebar...

I need to remain anonymous to protect myself in my career in the future xx

I don't use my real name, I wouldn't use both first and surname for a blog or YouTube for privacy reasons. I think using your first name is acceptable but it's more of a personal preference.

I use my first name but not my last. I think It'd be fun to go by a pseudonym but I'd probably forget one time and confuse my readers, or blow my cover somehow.
Original post by blinkbelle
I need to remain anonymous to protect myself in my career in the future xx

Well see that's where my issue kinda lies, I want 2 go into the law field, so obv. won't be saying shed loads about myself. But I've used my name which many know me by but not my actual birth certificate name. I'm jus wondering whether I should shorten the name I have on my blog or jus give myself a diff. name for security n anonymity purposes???
Not based on fashion, not based on anything really, but feel free to have a read. http://www.stevenjohnh.com
i have a blog, but it's not about fashion/beauty haha.

it's about my life, i got it started to get into the habit of writing, so that i keep it up to date while i'm out in oklahoma, so my family/friends know what i'm up to, and i dont have to tell everyone individually, and also as a sort of diary of everything i do while i'm out there :smile: i used to keep a diary but never do any more, so my blog almost acts as a diary of the interesting things that go on in my life haha. one day i might print it out and bind it, as a record of everything i did while i'm in america/at uni, just incase it gets taken down :P think it'd be cool to have it all printed XD anyway. rant/

(link's in my sig if anyone wants it or here :smile:

i don't use my real name, i use CameraGirl as with this, and i only ever put peoples' first names on it, and never addresses or anything else. although i do have a lot of pictures :frown: come to think of it maybe not the best idea, but there's nothing to track people down by other than that, and i had permission to put the photos up. it's mainly for my family/friends to read anyway, i suppose, it never really bothered me having photos on there since my address isn't on there, nor my name.
i don't have one of my own but my all time favourite would have to be http://www.knighttcat.com/
Original post by CameraGirl
i don't use my real name, i use CameraGirl as with this, and i only ever put peoples' first names on it, and never addresses or anything else. although i do have a lot of pictures :frown: come to think of it maybe not the best idea, but there's nothing to track people down by other than that, and i had permission to put the photos up. it's mainly for my family/friends to read anyway, i suppose, it never really bothered me having photos on there since my address isn't on there, nor my name.

Original post by Mega Nerd
I don't use my real name, I wouldn't use both first and surname for a blog or YouTube for privacy reasons. I think using your first name is acceptable but it's more of a personal preference.

LoL Well that's the thing - people are on youtube, so obv. people can see them, BUT they've changed their name, which kinda defeats the object, surely? lol. I would never ever display my birth certificate name or my address, that is just a simple no no. But I'm just wondering whether I should shorten the name I have currently put on my blog? Or leave it how it is as legally it's not my proper name! Hmmm . .
LoL Well that's the thing - people are on youtube, so obv. people can see them, BUT they've changed their name, which kinda defeats the object, surely? lol. I would never ever display my birth certificate name or my address, that is just a simple no no. But I'm just wondering whether I should shorten the name I have currently put on my blog? Or leave it how it is as legally it's not my proper name! Hmmm . .

i dunno, it's up to you at the end of the day i suppose. personally i would only have a nickname or first name, incase people think it is your real name, or do look into it. i'd say i'd think about not putting up photos, but since it's for my friends and family to see my travels i kind of need them, plus i love photography haha.

if i set up a different style of blog however, just about general day to day stuff, not about me personally, i'd definitely go by a nickname or fake name, and only a short one :smile:

i suppose with youtube, not having the name on there just makes it that bit more difficult to locate a person. unless you lived nearby or saw them often, then it could be difficult to locate someone just by their face/image, unless you had the resources to do so
(edited 12 years ago)

My real full first name is quite long, and I never really use it generally in real life let alone online. I have a few nicknames that I use that are derived from my first name, one of which I use on my current blog. I wouldn't bother with surnames though, cos it's not important anyway, and it's nice to retain a bit of info for privacy reasons.

It's entirely up to you though how you go about things. You've got people like Michelle Phan, Ray William Johnson and Shane Dawson who are happy enough to go with their full names even though they are pretty famous YouTubers. But from what I've seen generally most people will only go by their first names. Whatever you feel comfortable with :smile:
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
My real full first name is quite long, and I never really use it generally in real life let alone online. I have a few nicknames that I use that are derived from my first name, one of which I use on my current blog. I wouldn't bother with surnames though, cos it's not important anyway, and it's nice to retain a bit of info for privacy reasons.

It's entirely up to you though how you go about things. You've got people like Michelle Phan, Ray William Johnson and Shane Dawson who are happy enough to go with their full names even though they are pretty famous YouTubers. But from what I've seen generally most people will only go by their first names. Whatever you feel comfortable with :smile:

Only official documents and my immediate family know my full proper name. I'm pretty sure there are some extended family members who don't know my proper first name or middle name lol, some of my friends don't even know lol because everyone knows me by my pet name. And then some people go further and shorten my pet name again lol.

Hmmm I shall see how I feel. :smile:
Only official documents and my immediate family know my full proper name. I'm pretty sure there are some extended family members who don't know my proper first name or middle name lol, some of my friends don't even know lol because everyone knows me by my pet name. And then some people go further and shorten my pet name again lol.

Hmmm I shall see how I feel. :smile:

Yeah, I'm kinda the same lol :smile:

Cassie is not a particularly uncommon name, and you don't have your surname so I think you'd be fairly safe going just by that :yep:
Well see that's where my issue kinda lies, I want 2 go into the law field, so obv. won't be saying shed loads about myself. But I've used my name which many know me by but not my actual birth certificate name. I'm jus wondering whether I should shorten the name I have on my blog or jus give myself a diff. name for security n anonymity purposes???

I'd go by a fake name if I were you (I'm pursuing a legal career which is why I remain anonymous) xx
I don't really think it matters if you go by your real or use a fake name. As long as your a sensible person using the internet and not posting offensive material or anything that would be a cause for concern for potential employers i don't think it would really go against you would it?
Original post by Purple Haze
I don't really think it matters if you go by your real or use a fake name. As long as your a sensible person using the internet and not posting offensive material or anything that would be a cause for concern for potential employers i don't think it would really go against you would it?

In a word, yes. The legal profession is essentially old fashioned, elitist and it'd be foolish to think posting about anything online would not count against you in some way xx
Original post by blinkbelle
I'd go by a fake name if I were you (I'm pursuing a legal career which is why I remain anonymous) xx

I've shortened it to 'Cas' . .that in turn could be short for a lot of names! But not sure whether to change it again? :ninjagirl:. I however have not once used my proper full name nor have I mentioned my surname, just my pet name which I have shortened to 'Cas'. But not sure whether or not that is too obvious. I too am trying to pursue a legal career (legal ex.)

EDIT: I am now following your blog; nice blog :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending