additional science=A
citizenship=A*
R.E=A*
engineering=A*
graphics design=A*
business studies=A*
I.T=A
arabic=A

i really want to get into imperial college and i think my gcse will set me back. i am doing MATHS,BIOLOGY,CHEMISTRY,PHYSICS for a level and further maths at A2. i have lots of work experiance lined up like RAF museum aeronautics department,BAE,AIRBUS. lets say a get 3A* and A for chem and a for further maths, is there a chance of me even thinking about imperial collage.i don't think i will get into it because of my extremly bad gcse

Scroll to see replies

wow - how did you manage to set up work experience with so many huge aero companies? I found it virtualy impossible...
But, the fact that you've got so much work experience will definitely aid your application.
If you get really good AS modules and have good predicted grades (the requirement is now A*A*A) as well as decent refernces/PS; then there's probably still a chance :yes:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
That's not exactly the worst GCSE profile xD I reckon you have a chance :smile: The Bs in maths/science would be the only things that could hold you back I reckon but if you can prove yourself at A level then it shouldn't matter.
I doubt your GCSEs will prevent you, Imperial really want to see top A-level results. If you're confident you can get the A-level grades they're looking for then you should apply.

You appear to have a lot of work experience "lined up", make sure you actually follow up on one or two of those companies.
i got an offer from imperial with 5 A's, 3 B's and then the rest C's and D's so it's possible. Then again my offer was for biology which must be a lot less competitive there than aeronautics
i am very confident about my a level. i will work my a** off.i am confident that i will get A*, but i think my gcse will let me down specialy maths and science. i
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by isitinyet?
i got an offer from imperial with 5 A's, 3 B's and then the rest C's and D's so it's possible. Then again my offer was for biology which must be a lot less competitive there than aeronautics

what was your offer..
Original post by kaboon-supreme
what was your offer..

AAA in maths bio and chem
Original post by magdaplaysbass
wow - how did you manage to set up work experience with so many huge aero companies? I found it virtualy impossible...
But, the fact that you've got so much work experience will definitely aid your application.
If you get really good AS modules and have good predicted grades (the requirement is now A*A*A) as well as decent refernces/PS; then there's probably still a chance :yes:

are you also looking to do aeronautics at imperial, if so what were ur gcse and Alevel subjects( and predictions).. what do you think of my a level subject maths,physics,chem and bio, and in a2 i will pick up further maths.

:confused:
are you also looking to do aeronautics at imperial, if so what were ur gcse and Alevel subjects( and predictions).. what do you think of my a level subject maths,physics,chem and bio, and in a2 i will pick up further maths.

:confused:

Yeah, I am :yes:
I applied last year and got an offer. Didn't get my grades and took a gap year (mainly for other reasons); and figured I might as well apply again this year and got an offer :biggrin:
GCSEs: 8A*s, 6As
A Levels:
Maths - A*, Physics - B (only a few marks of an A :cry2:), F.Maths - B, German - A, BTEC Engineering - Distinction, AS Geography - A
My offer from Imperial is to get an A* in Physics and an A in F.Maths.
Your A Level subjects look good; although if I were you I would do F.Maths instead of Biology as that will be more useful. The current standard offer for Aero is Maths - A*, Physics - A* and an A in a third subject (F.Maths preferred.) So, if your predicted grades reflect this, you should be fine :smile:
Hope that helped. Good Luck! :h:
:biggrin:wow 8A* and 6A

how hard is it to get an offer. i am i likely to get an offer with my poor gcse.lets say i get A* PREDICTIONS FOR ALL FOUR SUBJECTS DO YOU THINK I STAND A CHANCE OF RECIEVING AN OFFER.
and did you have an interview if so what do they talk about and do they mension gces i can't do further maths at AS as i had b for gcse maths andd my school requires A or above to do further maths. do you think it is ok if i take it at A2 the second year.

i can only appologize for these realy annoying questions that i am imposing on you.:colondollar:

thank you:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
:biggrin:wow 8A* and 6A

how hard is it to get an offer. i am i likely to get an offer with my poor gcse.lets say i get A* PREDICTIONS FOR ALL FOUR SUBJECTS DO YOU THINK I STAND A CHANCE OF RECIEVING AN OFFER.
and did you have an interview if so what do they talk about and do they mension gces i can't do further maths at AS as i had b for gcse maths andd my school requires A or above to do further maths. do you think it is ok if i take it at A2 the second year.

i can only appologize for these realy annoying questions that i am imposing on you.:colondollar:

thank you:smile:

it's no problem :h: They care more about A Levels than GCSEs; so if you get A* predictions, I'm pretty sure you'll get interviewed. Whether you get an offer will also depend on your interview and the maths test.
I'm sure they'll be fine with you taking F.Maths at AS, but you're best of emailing the department to see what they prefer. If they want the A Level you could maybe try teaching yourself? F.Maths wasn't timetabled at our school so we arranged lunchtime lessons and use resources online.
But definitely contact the department/check the website; then you'll know for sure what they want :biggrin:
Whether you get an offer will also depend on your interview and the maths test.

what kind of maths tests are they doing. plus i am doing maths at A2(THE SECOND YEAR(year 13))

once again i am sorry for imposing
[QUOTE="kaboon-supreme;37036826"]
Whether you get an offer will also depend on your interview and the maths test.

what kind of maths tests are they doing. plus i am doing maths at A2(THE SECOND YEAR(year 13))

once again i am sorry for imposing

seriously, there's no need to apologise... :smile:
the maths test was half an hour, i think. and we had to answer as many questions out of 40. It was done online and mainly consisted of calculus questions.
Just so I understand, are you only doing the AS further maths (starting in second year) or are you planning to try and do the whole a level in your second year? I'd probably say that the second option is more effort than it's worth. I only did AS Further maths (plus A level maths, physics, chemistry and French) and I got an offer. I'd say you're probably better off making sure you meet the grades, I kind of regret even taking four A2s because it's a lot of extra work considering the fourth A level doesn't really matter.
Original post by catestevenson
Just so I understand, are you only doing the AS further maths (starting in second year) or are you planning to try and do the whole a level in your second year? I'd probably say that the second option is more effort than it's worth. I only did AS Further maths (plus A level maths, physics, chemistry and French) and I got an offer. I'd say you're probably better off making sure you meet the grades, I kind of regret even taking four A2s because it's a lot of extra work considering the fourth A level doesn't really matter.

wow what was your offer and what were GCSEs like.
Reply 16
Anybody know how anal the aero dept. are about missing grades?

Eg. if I were to get the equivalent of A*A* in maths and phys, and then a B in chemistry, would they care that much? (We don't get F Maths at AH), or...

if i got A1AA at advanced higher, which is UCAS points equivalent of A*A*A, but my offer is A1A1A?

Would it be weird to email them about it?
wow what was your offer and what were GCSEs like.

My offer was A*AA with the A* in maths and an A in physics. I applied last year though, cause I applied for deferred entry. Means I also didn't have to do the maths test. My results at A2 were A* Maths and Physics, A Chemistry and B in French and I got an A in AS Further Maths.
At GCSE I got 6 A*s, 4 As and a B. Maths was an A*, physics was an A and the B was DT.
Reply 18
hi guys
i just recieved my gcse and they are very bad.this is what i got
maths=B
core sicence=B
english lang=B
english literature=A
additional science=A
citizenship=A*
R.E=A*
engineering=A*
graphics design=A*
business studies=A*
I.T=A
arabic=A

i really want to get into imperial college and i think my gcse will set me back. i am doing MATHS,BIOLOGY,CHEMISTRY,PHYSICS for a level and further maths at A2. i have lots of work experiance lined up like RAF museum aeronautics department,BAE,AIRBUS. lets say a get 3A* and A for chem and a for further maths, is there a chance of me even thinking about imperial collage.i don't think i will get into it because of my extremly bad gcse

Doing an extra AS level can be a bit pointless sometimes (I am doing AS physics this year on top of my a levels and none of my offer conditions included it). Also speaking from experience I am doing A2 further maths and even after getting an A* at GCSE, I still struggle sometimes. Just dont set your targets too hard A levels are a lot harder than you think :smile: good luck
hi guys
i just recieved my gcse and they are very bad.this is what i got
maths=B
core sicence=B
english lang=B
english literature=A
additional science=A
citizenship=A*
R.E=A*
engineering=A*
graphics design=A*
business studies=A*
I.T=A
arabic=A

I do Aeronautics, and my interviewer said he didn't care about GCSE's, as long as you have like a couple of A*'s. They are more impressed with brilliant A Levels and lots of work experience. My interview consisted of me talking about my work experience and my extended project on aircraft for about 20 mins!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending