The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Fixesin
Yep. It is. Btw - in your letter from imperial did you get those othr forms to fill out, such as medical requirements and the amount of programming you have done so far?

Yup I did... even though they're within my peripheral vision I already totally forgot. I haven't got any experience of programming..well only a tiny bit, which I've forgotten. Have you filled those out yet?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 21
Don't worry too much about the diagnostic test in the first week, it's mostly A-level further maths and if you haven't done further maths then you should learn at least some complex numbers/vectors/matrices over the summer before you come here, you'll find your time a lot easier and potentially be less likely to fail the actual Maths exam in the summer like I did :smile:
Reply 22
Actually, there's something like 7 or 8 chicks in the facebook group for Computing freshers I think. I didn't get to see how many were there when I went as I had a separate interview date (since Imperial misplaced my application.. I think. They don't admit it)

And yeah, I'm really not sure what to put down for that programming experience section either :0
I did Computing A level, where we learnt some VB, and I had to write something in ASP.NET for a coursework project so I guess I'm not totally inexperienced but it was so long ago.. and it was very simple stuff. But I have no idea how long those things were in lines!
I might just put "minimal" or something.
:<
Reply 23
learner_dancer
Yup I did... even though they're within my peripheral vision I already totally forgot. I haven't got any experience of programming..well only a tiny bit, which I've forgotten. Have you filled those out yet?

Erm, not yet... I need to though.

Mante
And yeah, I'm really not sure what to put down for that programming experience section either :0
I did Computing A level, where we learnt some VB, and I had to write something in ASP.NET for a coursework project so I guess I'm not totally inexperienced but it was so long ago.. and it was very simple stuff. But I have no idea how long those things were in lines!
I might just put "minimal" or something.
:<

Yea, I've done Pascal/Delphi for Computing A-levels but I hardly think that is a very respectable language anyway... So I might just put that I don't know jack.
sunspoon
Don't worry too much about the diagnostic test in the first week, it's mostly A-level further maths and if you haven't done further maths then you should learn at least some complex numbers/vectors/matrices over the summer before you come here, you'll find your time a lot easier and potentially be less likely to fail the actual Maths exam in the summer like I did :smile:

Ahh cool, I did further Maths (I knew it all, but was suffering of last exam syndrome so I ended up getting a C). Does it include any C4 stuff? And are there regular tests/exams?
Reply 25
Weekly assignments, look at the lecture slides here: Math methods under coursematerials.

and here: Math methods part 2

These 2 websites are approximately an eighth of your first year summer-examinable material.
ooo i need to send mine back also.

Yeh, i wouldnt worry about the maths diagnostic, its only C1-C4 anyway, and as you're going to imperial you probably aced it!

i've got a couple of languages to put on there.
Argh, I still didn't get the documents that all of you are talking about :frown:

Why can't they just do everything electronically, so we can fill out some online forms etc...
double posting, but w/e.

I just go the form, yay!
The most mind boggling question is "machine used" for the programming experience. How is that relevant at all.....
Reply 29
radicality
double posting, but w/e.

I just go the form, yay!
The most mind boggling question is "machine used" for the programming experience. How is that relevant at all.....

The majority of the programming you will do here initially is on Linux (actually, all of it). If you programmed in Java on a Windows machine for example, you'll know all about stupid classpath issues, whereas on UNIX it's less of an issue.
sunspoon
The majority of the programming you will do here initially is on Linux (actually, all of it). If you programmed in Java on a Windows machine for example, you'll know all about stupid classpath issues, whereas on UNIX it's less of an issue.

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought they meant, but they should have called it more of "Operating System" or something.

By "machine", I understood it more as the physical machine, x86-64 architecture, etc, haha.

On a kind of unrelated note, since you already are a student, do many people bring their laptops to lectures to take notes ?
Reply 31
radicality
On a kind of unrelated note, since you already are a student, do many people bring their laptops to lectures to take notes ?

I think you'll find that there were a certain group of 1st year students moving into 2nd year that brought their laptops not so much to take notes as using them to play DotA and CSS in lectures...

All the lectures have handouts which have the slides printed on them, except for Databases in the 2nd term where you really have to pay attention because most of the examples the lecturer gives aren't available on the handouts or even on the internet, meaning you have to quickly scrawl them down off the whiteboard.

Latest

Trending

Trending