The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Computer Science/Film Studies Course Questions...

Hello!

Hmmm...so I was thinking about some minors that I wanted to take perhaps, and so I wanted to know a little bit about Computer Science and Film Studies.

Without intending to offend anyone (so please don't be offended!), I've heard that these types of courses are a little bit looked down on as being 'mickey mouse' subjects (I hate that terminology though!)...does anyone find that they are?

So, what are each of the courses about, and what do you do in each one? I'm not really sure about Computer Science at all, and know little about Film Studies to be honest, though someone once said that you just watch films all the time (I'm pretty certain though that that is not the case, and I imagine there's much more to it than that). Would you say the courses are fun though?

I guess I kind of wanted something a bit different for my minors - something that is obviously work, but is somewhat "fun" at the same time...I don't even know if such a course exists though :p:

For those who do take, could you give me an example of your timetable too please? Are there are lectures on friday for example? Also, do you do 4 hour sessions or anything like that?!

Sorry for all the questions - I'm just considering changing my minor, and wanted some info first ^^
Reply 1
Computer Science a 'mickey mouse' subject? No way, it's a lot more involved than most stuff. Geography would be an example of a course qualifying for that label.

It's basically root computer theory - bits, bytes, binary, memory addresses, assembly, algorithms, data structures, set theory, etcetera. If you're looking to continue the sort of thing you did in school or college (I(C)T), Computer Science is not for you. Unfortunately I'm sure many people sign up expecting ICT but that's not the case at all.

Fun? Probably not. Challenging and interesting? If it's your thing.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Computer Science is definitely not a mickey mouse subject - heck I'm not even sure what course would qualify as a mickey mouse subject :p:

Obviously pick something you're interested in - I'd sugest picking something that's a little different to your major (you don't want to be doing the same stuff most likely, as you'd get rather sick of it). I'm not sure if any of the courses are "fun" exactly - at the end of the day it's education like any other course, which is never going to be "fun".

Like anarchic said, Computer science is about bits, bytes, algorithms .etc. You do programming, databases and all of that stuff - and there is a bit of maths thrown in there too. A lot of it is theory work (so how algorithms work, efficiency of algorithms and that sort of stuff). It's generally boring, but interesting when you want it to be. It's not like ICT at college/school or anything - maybe you should take a look at ICT instead if none of the stuff above interests you :smile:
I'll chip in about Computer Science. It Is quite a heavy subject, lots of contact hours, especially compared to other courses. If I remember correctly, I had around 15 contact hours for it in my first year whereas I only had about 5 for Criminology. Quite a few of the people doing it as a minor struggled with the course as well, especially with the programming. Though the first year course is designed not to be too taxing, it is difficult for some people to get their head round some of the concepts.

Latest

Trending

Trending